• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Force of habit

Legrandfromage

Aug 28, 2004
I realized a great truth this season. Because I had a 185 yard hole in one many years ago (like 1968??) I always thought I could hit a 4 iron 185 yards. Well, I can't. and probably never could. Now calibrate this across the full iron set and understand why I am always short!!

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
You mis-hit or your good shots don't travel as far as you'd like? In the latter case, you are more precise in distance control. Instead of 10-15 yards difference between irons for the long hitter, you get 5-8 yards.
Short, but precise ;)

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Welcome aboard LegrandFromage!

Your story reminds me that in my mind, I'm a really good golfer.

Reality, however................. :)

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I read a line that keeps me in line on most par 3's. Maybe it will help you. I, just like yourself, found myself short on many par 3's. And, guess where they put most of the bunkers, grass traps and other potential hazards? Exactly.....

"When addressing a par 3, always hit 5 yards further than what the hole plays. Most hazards are located at the front of the green. Take one more club and swing easier, or make yourself aware that you have to be solid with your selected club to get the ball to the back of the green. With these thoughts, even a shot that isn't hit 100% will land on the green more often than not."

I tried this, i've been pretty much on every green on par 3's for as long as I've maintained this school of thought.

Try it out. Maybe some of it will rub off on you. :)

R35

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
Isn't that line in Golf Magazine ?
On my course, there are bunkers and bad stuff short, long and side of the green, so it really depends.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
rockford35 said:
I read a line that keeps me in line on most par 3's. Maybe it will help you. I, just like yourself, found myself short on many par 3's. And, guess where they put most of the bunkers, grass traps and other potential hazards? Exactly.....

"When addressing a par 3, always hit 5 yards further than what the hole plays. Most hazards are located at the front of the green. Take one more club and swing easier, or make yourself aware that you have to be solid with your selected club to get the ball to the back of the green. With these thoughts, even a shot that isn't hit 100% will land on the green more often than not."

I tried this, i've been pretty much on every green on par 3's for as long as I've maintained this school of thought.

Try it out. Maybe some of it will rub off on you. :)

R35

I thought about the Par 3's on my course after reading your thread.

All the bunkers and hazards are front and flank.

None long.

A genuine Red Lobster golf tip straight from Saskatchewan.

thanks for this....

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.