• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

'Fore'!!! . . . it's not that hard.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Is it just me or do hardly any Tour Players shout fore when they miss hit a drive or approach shot towards the crowd? I think they probably hope for a friendly bounce back into play and don't care if it hurts somebody. I was watching the Players last night and noticed it a couple of times. Also a few weeks ago I saw a fella in the crowd knocked off his seat by a ball which struck him on the head and again there was no shout of fore. It's such a poor attitude and a bad example for kids watching at home. A 'Fore' shout should be the players responseability and if they don't give one, the Tour should fine them 10% of there cheaque for the week.

acarty

Future Pro!
Oct 13, 2007
Ah but don't forget they raise their arm, and the spectators should be watching the player at all times, and then the ballflight!!!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
I've seen players shout "Fore, right!" or Fore, left!" many times. Have, also, seen players stand there and watch the ball strike a spectator. I've heard caddies shout "Fore"... and, seen caddies stand silent. The professional tourneys also have forecaddies to spot the ball and assist in telling people to "Get the h*** out of the way!". Most of those are volunteers... older than WBL and I... and can't see the ball until it hits them in the noggin.

I'm sure the etiquette is the same as when we hackers play. It is considerate to shout a warning before beaning someone. I've been nearly hit on public courses by those who are too arrogant or ignorant to shout a warning. And, spectators at professional events will suffer the same.

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
I've seen players shout "Fore, right!" or Fore, left!" many times. Have, also, seen players stand there and watch the ball strike a spectator. I've heard caddies shout "Fore"... and, seen caddies stand silent. The professional tourneys also have forecaddies to spot the ball and assist in telling people to "Get the h*** out of the way!". Most of those are volunteers... older than WBL and I... and can't see the ball until it hits them in the noggin.

I'm sure the etiquette is the same as when we hackers play. It is considerate to shout a warning before beaning someone. I've been nearly hit on public courses by those who are too arrogant or ignorant to shout a warning. And, spectators at professional events will suffer the same.

Which is why it should become a PGA/Euro Tour rule that the Player 'Must' Shout Fore or lose 10% of his winnings... that way Every Pro will shout Fore after a loose shot is heading towards the gallery and the weekend hackers will see taht on TV & they may start to do the same.

Dannykos

Sep 20, 2006
surely an injuy resulting from being struck - when "Fore!" isn't shouted should be grounds to sue? or does attendance at a potentially 'dangerous' spectator event waive all rights?

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
I think that's the answer. Read some court case on it a while ago and I THINK that was the outcome.

Surely you'd have to sign some sort of a disclaimer on enering the course.

There was a case over here a few years back..Golf Plan refer to it on there broucher... Basically somebody playing on a Golf course was hit in the face by a wayward ball from another hole and even though the person who hit the ball shouted Fore the court ruled he was liable for the damage and awards were made against him... Thats why I have golf insurance.

Treehog

A Good Walk Spoiled
May 5, 2009
I work at an exective 9 hole course that is very, very tight... Whenever someone yells "Fore!" the whole course ducks. Those that choose other words of warning have inspired my signature below.

WMitch6

Jul 24, 2006
"The professional tourneys also have forecaddies to spot the ball and assist in telling people to "Get the h*** out of the way!". Most of those are volunteers... older than WBL and I... and can't see the ball until it hits them in the noggin."

I saw an LPGA player hit her own forecaddy in the head and on the fly. It knocked the guy on his arse. No "FORE" and he never saw it coming. The guy had a knot the size of a golf ball by the time she got to him. She didn't even apologize although she did thank him for keeping her ball from going into the woods.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I believe the last pro i saw yell fore was that worthless SOB poor sport Tiger Woods...

Anyway...i think its hilarious when people yell fore because MOST people that hear it yelled LOOK IN THE DIRECTION OF THE YELL....HELLOOOO thats where the ball is coming from dingbat....i honestly think it puts more people in dangerous positions than it helps...

But hey...as long as you yell its pretty much OK if you hit someone...

If i hear someone yell fore, i either stand exactly where i was notmove at all unless i am facing the person that yelled at which point i turn around so i dont take a golf ball to the other balls or to the face...

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I get plenty of practice with this, but its always "fore right". But I have a loud booming voice, when I yell it most of the course ducks, :D

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
...The professional tourneys also have forecaddies to spot the ball and assist in telling people to "Get the h*** out of the way!". Most of those are volunteers... older than WBL and I... and can't see the ball until it hits them in the noggin.

I've done that job a few times now. It's scary as hell. Honestly, I don't care how good your eyes are - it's hard to see a ball from the other end, especially once it gets above the treeline and you're trying to pick it out of the clear blue sky. I've had many whizz by me and then "thup" a few feet behind me and over my shoulder. Sure is a fun job, though. I was mighty upset when they cancelled the Buick Challenge down here so I no longer had a venue. I had worked enough times that the next year I would've been walking the score plaque with the final group - and this was in the 2000 range, so odds were good it would've been Mr. Woods himself. Yeah well.

Tiger shouted "Fore left" a few times this weekend... :D

He yelled a lot of things - the censors were keeping their fingers exercised quite well this weekend. I especially liked when he yanked that drive on hole 4 (I think, the one where he had to rescue it with a left-handed upside-down club) and swung it back through - I think he swung it backwards faster than forward, and blurted "GOD-*silence*." :ugly25:

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.