• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Forged clubs and headcovers...

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I'm bringing out a sore subject that I know has been shot to death in the past, but really i don't care.

Neoprene headcovers for forged clubheads. Yay or nay?

I'm very good at keeping my clubs clean and dry. The moisture thing shouldn't be a problem. But i'm worried moreso about asthetics.

Any suggestions or comments from the masses out there? Any comments are welcome, even comments about iron headcovers. ;)

Thanks in advance,

R35

• Staff
I guess this answers that.

Straight from the Mizuno site:

"My forged irons have rust showing up on the face of the club. Is this normal?

Yes, rust can happen. Forged heads are made of a mild carbon steel that is chrome plated. Once you start hitting balls you scratch the surface of the chrome which can eventually expose the raw steel to moisture and chemicals that can cause rust to form. The best way to minimize rust is to keep the irons dry at all times, wipe them after every shot and at the end of the round with a dry cloth. When cleaning use only a NYLON brush (no metal) and dry them with a dry towel. If you get some rust forming, spray the surface with WD-40 and clean with a nylon brush or Scotchbrite pad and wipe them clean with a dry cloth. Some high nitrogen fertilizers, sandy soil conditions and water with a high iron content can accelerate the production of rust. The use of iron head covers is not recommended as they trap moisture and accelerate the production of rust. "

I'm more worried about bag chatter tho.

Any thoughts?

R35

Rock;

I've had mine for several months now and haven't had a problem with wear or rust. It seems to me like the finish is very durable.

As far the bag chatter goes, I'm no help cause mine live either on the back of my cart or in the closest.

Personally though, I'd worry more about the four feet of snow on the ground. :p

Being rather anal myself I have a routine. While transporting or playing on the course I use headcovers. When I get home I clean the clubs, put a light coat of wax on everything (but the face and grip), and leave the headcovers off. I figure it is worth the extra time considering what I paid for the clubs.

hey...if we make a trade, i'll throw in a set and let you decide:p

Come on Rock!

I'm suprised at you!

No covers!

The faster you wreck them, the sooner you get to ho a new set. :D

What Sling said...plus they look ridiculous.

• Staff
Wear them out, buy new clubs.....makes sense to me!

They look ridiculous. I like Cyb's anal routine. I also like his idea about the covers for transfer. ;) (just kidding about the anal thing, dude..)

Sherm, if you've got a spare set, sure throw them in. Neoprene or plastic/rubber? I'm looking for neoprene. It's more closely related to spandex. If i'm gonna nerd out with headcovers, i'm going the whole nine yards. :)

Dave, what model are you playing again?

R35

Dave's effin cool. He plays MX-23s.

They're where it's at for the lowly non-blade players that like the feel of forged.

Like me!

23's? Pfff...whatever man.

Hey, when you can play with the big boys, come talk to me...then we'll go together, meet up with the big boys and hack it up!! :D

I'm so kidding.

I was this close (this close) to getting a set of 23's.....this close...

I was also this close to getting a set of EVO V-25's....

R35

Silver said:
Dave's effin cool.

And don't ever lie to me like this again. Ever. ;)

R35

Sorry man, I'm so sorry. I won't. I promise. I swear.

I'm sorry!

Silver said:
Dave's effin cool. He plays MX-23s.

They're where it's at for the lowly non-blade players that like the feel of forged.

Like me!

Brilliant young man that Silver. Absolutely brilliant. :miz:

Your just jealous Rock. You know you are. ;)

Silver said:
Sorry man, I'm so sorry. I won't. I promise. I swear.

I'm sorry!

Silver,

I'll let it go, this time....remember, I am a Mod here, and I can do stuff....i think....i dunno, maybe I can.....nope, we're pretty much on par. (sigh)

Dave,

Don't ever lie to me like that again. This is inexcusable. Geeze...

;)

R35

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35