• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Forged irons

3Bogey

Jan 20, 2006
Anyone play Snake Eyes 600xc's, the forged cavity back that is supposed to be very forgiving. I am going to build a set of forged irons now that they have more forgivness. Maltby makes a cavity back forged that looks awesome but not sure how they compare to SnakeEyes products. I know their customer service sucks!!!! compared to Golfsmith which is why I am leading toward the 600xc's.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Agreed on Golfworks sucking nuts. The three times i've tried to deal with them it's been nothing but a run around. I WILL NOT promote them positively in any way.

Customer service makes or breaks you.

Anyhoo....

Sling built up some 600's last year. He ended up selling them I think, but he'd have more of an idea of what to expect from them.

Maybe fire him a PM.

R35

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Nope. I still have them.
The problem, you see, is that I put stiff shafts in them and instantly lost like 20 yards. I now realize that I need a stiff driver shaft but regular flex everwhere else.

They are sweet looking, feel great but need a different shaft.
600xc.jpg

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
if i don't go for the adams tight lies gt tour irons in the next week, i build a set of 600c's this summer. god they look nice. gonna throw some rifle 5.5's and some golf pride tour velvet grips, yum.

OP
3Bogey

3Bogey

Jan 20, 2006
Sling Question???????????

I just got the shafts off of ebay, supposedly RP Rifle 5.5's although they don't have the label which concerns me. I called Royal Precison directly and they say that it is probably a fraudulent shaft or one of their kickouts as they call it so buyers on ebay beware!! I paid $49 bucks for a set of 8, which would have cost me $114 through GolfSmith. I'm afraid I might lose distance with the steel compared to Graphite and even though Sling is using stiff irons 20 yards loss is quite a bit so I'm leaning towards Graphite. GolfSmith recommends the UST 600 series. I really want feel and looks and I know graphite will be a little softer robbing the forged feel. Sling do you notice a big difference in feel from cast to forged????????????

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Big difference? No.

There is a subtle yet noticibly softer feel though.
If I were you I'd eat the $49 and get some DG300's r flex or 5.0 rifles......I'm not nearly old enough for graphite. ;)

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
The 5.5's will play softer than "stiff" if that's what you're looking for.

RP also sells their shafts without labels. That's how they come directly from Golfsmith.:) The labels are included with the shafts for you to put on after they have been cut to length. So don't be so worried.

As for graphite, age really has no bearing on whether or not you need graphite, Sling. Graphite is just a lighter alternative to steel, so if you have a softer/slower swing, graphite can actually help you. Granted, most old people have slower, softer swings, so you have a point there.

Do they make shafts that are "anti-shitter"?:D

R35

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Anti shitter LOL classic.

FYI - KJ Choi and Scott Verplank play graphite in their irons

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Verplank went to graphites due to injury concearns. When he got back on tour after a medical leave he went to graphite to reduce the vibrations and impact on his body.

Last time I checked, Rich Beem was playing NV graphite in his irons, too. The only other reason I could think of a pro playing graphite shafts is to try and gain some distance if they are a short hitter with the reduced overall weight. Well, I guess it could be sponsporship dollars, too.

🔥 Latest posts