• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Forgive me golf gods, I have sinned......

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
Well, the next set of uneccesary irons are on their way to Orlando. :laugh:

Worse yet, the name starts with P and ends with G. :D

I may be tempting the wrath of the golf gods by buying an uncessary set of Ping Eye 2 Plus Black Dots. I could not resist. Ping Eye 2's have been on my eBay search list for a few years, but I have been trying to avoid the bay lately as it leads to temptation. Unfortunately, I was bored the other day going through my search list and noticed that the Eye 2 selling prices had come down a bit since the last time I was actively hunting for a set. After a few days of letting others overpay on the auctions I was interested in, I finally struck last night and the Pings are in UPS's hands and on the way (a fine piece of stealth ho'ing too, set to arrive Thursday when my wife is at work. :D)

Being new to Ping ownership, I have a few questions for the Ping faithful on the board (I know your out there, you may not have great numbers but you are very vocal.:laugh:)

The KT shaft. Limpalong had advised in another post to avoid this shaft if possible, why is that? I will probably reshaft at some point anyway, but is there something drastically wrong with the shaft? Most of the research I could find on the shaft compared it to the ZZ lite and ZZ65 which seem to be in higher demand. What are the issues with the KT shaft?

I am assuming that the Eye 2+'s are .355 taper tip. True?

From what I have read, Ping's are tough SOB's to adjust for lie and loft. I was able to grab the correct lie angle for me in the black dot, but if loft and lies need to be adjusted can I do it myself or is it best left to professionals?

Care and feeding of the Ping Eye 2+'s. With my forged irons, I use iron covers to protect the heads from dinging. Some of my cast irons were also prone to dings, how do the Eye 2's stack up? Covers or no covers?

See, WBL, I am not a total Ping Hater, just a new Ping Hater. :D

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Another one succumbs to the lure of the dark side. :(

We can only hope that The Force, er, Mizuno, can shine brightly enough to show him the error of his ways and bring him back to his senses. :D

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Best Pings ever made! Pings can be adjusted (Eye 2+ 2º) but according to their website only so many times. I think anyone can do it though, especially if the warranty doesn't apply). Shaft and tip size questions I haven't a clue. :D

PING : Club Repair

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Best Pings ever made! Pings can be adjusted (Eye 2+ 2º) but according to their website only so many times. I think anyone can do it though, especially if the warranty doesn't apply). Shaft and tip size questions I haven't a clue. :D

PING : Club Repair

Although anyone can do it, I have found that no one will do it. I'm looking to get my 5 iron bent a degree or two strong but no one in my area will touch it; they all say, "it has to be sent to PING."

ualtim - A very nice pick-up. I haven't been around the game long enough to be familiar with the draw of the Eye2s but it is their reputation that even got me looking at PING in the first place.

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Don't worry, Doc, knowing me I will have another set on the way before the Eye 2+'s can become my gamers.:laugh:

Besides, every great Jedi dabbles in the dark side a bit. Got to know the enemy and such. :D

We'll see how they go WBL. I played some of my best golf with my Acura MXD's which were kind of a cross between the Eye 2 and Tommy Armour 845's. I am hoping to find some of that magic, again.

I love the Hogans, but that unquenchable thirst for more iron sets got to me again. Who knows what will be in the bag at World Woods next month.:hunter:

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
ualtim - A very nice pick-up. I haven't been around the game long enough to be familiar with the draw of the Eye2s but it is their reputation that even got me looking at PING in the first place.

I first developed interest in them when I was a caddy. All the best players at the local club I was carrying for playing Wilson Staff FG-17's, Ping Eye 2's, and a few were carrying Hogans. From a caddy's perspective, the Eye 2's were easy to clean, never seemed to ding, and the owners seemed to swear less often. :laugh:

I already have a set of FG-17's, now I have my Eye 2+'s.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Well, the next set of uneccesary irons are on their way to Orlando. :laugh:

Worse yet, the name starts with P and ends with G. :D

:D

WOW!! WOW!!!
P:smilie_piI:smilie_piN:smilie_piG:smilie_pi!!!!

Pigs are a flyin'... Hell's freezin' over... Stop the presses, someone give 60 Minutes a call!!!

Whew! Sorry, just couldn't contain myself. Now an attempt to answer a couple of your questions...

The KT shaft is an excellent shaft for use in the +'s. KT stands for Karsten Tour. The reaction is fairly stiff, some would put it between an S300 and an X100. Keeps the ball down, which was a problem with the ZZ Lite in the earlier Eye 2's. The problem Ping ran into was the thin wall on this lightweight shaft. The shaft wall dings very easily. Tossing the club ever so gently towards a bag, etc. can see the shaft kinked. NEVER backhand a tee marker, etc. or you'll pay the price with the shaft.

Karsten attempted to use the KT in the Zings as he brought those to market. The Zing head design place significantly more torque/stress on the shaft hosel than the +'s. The Zings equipped with the KT began snapping off at the hosel. Karsten redesigned the shaft with a heavier wall and it was relabeled as the KT-M. Many of the later +'s had the KT-M shaft and you may luck out and have those in your set.

As far as head covers, it's whatever turns you on! The +'s are virtually indestructable. Take 'em camping and pound tent stakes... Develop a propensity for hitting walnuts and acorns as practice shots 'round the course... Tell your buddies the "game" for the day is playing the ball as it lies, even on the cart path. You can hit the +'s off a concrete cart path and the only consequence will be the bill from the course for the gouge you leave in the path. Well, maybe this is a slight exaggeration!:laugh::laugh: But, honestly, you will find the indestructability of the +'s is beyond belief. Bag dings?? No way! These clubs can bang against each other for years and never ding. You can play a couple dozen rounds, clean out the grooves with water and a toothbrush and sell them in just as good condition as when you rec'd them.

Okay, lie angles. Call Ping... schedule them to Ping for loft and/or lie adjustments. You will find Pings charge to do this is minimal. Ping will turn them around super fast so they're not out of the bag long. And, Ping will record the loft/lie change in their data base with the club serial number. This keeps everything "authentic" and will assist in preserving the value of the clubs. Should you ever lose one, or want a wedge or long iron to match the set, all you need to do is call them with the serial number and the new club will be a perfect match. Considering Ping's excellent customer service, I would NEVER allow a local shop to bend one of my Pings.

Again, congrats and keep us posted on how you get along with your set of Pings... and, "Welcome to the family of 'real golfers'!!!"

figjam

Aug 29, 2007
As far as head covers, it's whatever turns you on! The +'s are virtually indestructable. Take 'em camping and pound tent stakes... Develop a propensity for hitting walnuts and acorns as practice shots 'round the course... Tell your buddies the "game" for the day is playing the ball as it lies, even on the cart path. You can hit the +'s off a concrete cart path and the only consequence will be the bill from the course for the gouge you leave in the path. Well, maybe this is a slight exaggeration!:laugh::laugh: But, honestly, you will find the indestructability of the +'s is beyond belief. Bag dings?? No way! These clubs can bang against each other for years and never ding. You can play a couple dozen rounds, clean out the grooves with water and a toothbrush and sell them in just as good condition as when you rec'd them.

Does this toughness affect their feel? From your description, it would be hard to imagine that they would have the same soft feel of a forged iron. I'm interested because I have forged Mizuno's and love the feel, but when these eventually wear out (the 8 and PW are starting to show some signs of wear and tear after 3 years of use) I might go for a stainless cast iron to get a longer life span and less maintenance.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Does this toughness affect their feel? From your description, it would be hard to imagine that they would have the same soft feel of a forged iron. I'm interested because I have forged Mizuno's and love the feel, but when these eventually wear out (the 8 and PW are starting to show some signs of wear and tear after 3 years of use) I might go for a stainless cast iron to get a longer life span and less maintenance.
Do they have the "same soft feel of a forged iron"? Of course not! We're talking about 1025 or 1030 carbon steel forgings vs. 17-4 stainless steel. We're talking about irons that will ding as they lightly careess each other in the bag vs. irons that are, virtually, indestructable. We are talking about irons that will stain and rust from the tear you shed when you hit a bad shot vs. irons that you could leave out in acid rain for days and then hose them off. We're talking about two different materials and two different feels.

But... I owned two sets of 690mb Titty forgings. (Got the second ace of my life with the 8-iron from the 690's.) I have owned MP33's and MP32's. (Sold/gave the 32's to my son-in-law.) And, after playing these forgings, I will never go back. I will stay with my Pings, thank you.

When I strike a shot pure, you can't feel a ProV leave the clubface of my cast Pings. When I miss a shot on a cold morning, it'll sting just like a forging. There is not the "mushy" soft feeling of a Mizzy. There is a solid feel. I can hit from a fairway bunker and not worry about sand grooving the bottom of the club or sand getting between the ball and clubface and leaving marks. I don't have to worry about hitting on a range where they're used some sand in theri soil and worry about marring my irons.

There is give and take. I will never tell anyone they should play cast, nor will I ever tell anyone they should play forged. There are distinct advantages to each. You... and only you... must pick your poison!

OP
ualtim

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Thank you for all the great information, limpalong. :)

It should be interesting to see how the Plus's play compared to all of the other irons I have in stock. I know I will need to regrip them when they arrive, but I have found that it is easier to get a good deal on eBay when the grips are in poor condition. Since I normally change the grips out anyway, I tend to look for the worn out grip deals.

figjam

Aug 29, 2007
Do they have the "same soft feel of a forged iron"? Of course not! We're talking about 1025 or 1030 carbon steel forgings vs. 17-4 stainless steel. We're talking about irons that will ding as they lightly careess each other in the bag vs. irons that are, virtually, indestructable. We are talking about irons that will stain and rust from the tear you shed when you hit a bad shot vs. irons that you could leave out in acid rain for days and then hose them off. We're talking about two different materials and two different feels.

But... I owned two sets of 690mb Titty forgings. (Got the second ace of my life with the 8-iron from the 690's.) I have owned MP33's and MP32's. (Sold/gave the 32's to my son-in-law.) And, after playing these forgings, I will never go back. I will stay with my Pings, thank you.

When I strike a shot pure, you can't feel a ProV leave the clubface of my cast Pings. When I miss a shot on a cold morning, it'll sting just like a forging. There is not the "mushy" soft feeling of a Mizzy. There is a solid feel. I can hit from a fairway bunker and not worry about sand grooving the bottom of the club or sand getting between the ball and clubface and leaving marks. I don't have to worry about hitting on a range where they're used some sand in theri soil and worry about marring my irons.

There is give and take. I will never tell anyone they should play cast, nor will I ever tell anyone they should play forged. There are distinct advantages to each. You... and only you... must pick your poison!

Thanks for the info. I'll keep it in mind when the Mizuno's finally cark it.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
I can't tell any difference between my i3s and 690s,none,BUT............hit the TM MB Racs and you can,they are the most clicky blades I have ever hit bar none.

🔥 Latest posts