• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Form Regained

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
I posted a thread a while back about my fitting experience which has been lost in the ether while the admin changes are ongoing I presume. Also I'd had a miserable 18 months trying to overcome hooking and blocking everything, golf was horrible but glad to say after lessons and a little determination I'm getting my game back.

So this is just a bit of an update on my new gear and a cathartic ramble about what it's like to beat the doldrums.

Just to recap about the fitting - went full monty on it and you can see what I now play below. Only my driver and putter were unaltered.

Fairways - the Oban shafts have made a huge difference, the most noticable one of all. Going to a lighter weight has really helped and I am hitting them better than ever.

Irons - just love them. Thin top line, heaps of forgiveness and they feel superb. Really quite special. I wouldn't normally have got them but I got a fairly decent redundancy settlement so could up my budget a bit. The Nippon shaft is super smooth and they are just fun to play with.

Wedges - I had these lengthened a bit and reshafted and results are predictably better.

To give you an idea of how bad my game had got - in late June I shot 63 on our front 9, had no idea where it was going. 2 weeks ago I won our first comp of the year and have been improving my scores week by week. Oct was 100ish, December 90ish and now I am consistently in the 80s and pushing that 80 barrier. Kiss of death alert...

I received a lot of support here during my bad days and a few tellings off for being a big wuss (justified) so thx for that. I hope anyone who reads this who is struggling can take some hope that it can be turned around as I know how hopeless it can seem at times.

Pics will be here soon...

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Nice to see you / hear you smiling again Stanters! Much more refreshing to know you can buy a game!

🔥 Latest posts