• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

forward (my left) foot position at finish?

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
My left foot tends to twist towards the target; i.e., I pivot on it rather than have it stay fixed to the ground and roll to the outside edge.

Is this a REALLY bad thing? The instructor on the Golf Channel last night (Worlds Worst Swing) was spending a lot of time on this with the student.

What does this cause that's bad? Is it so bad that I should give up golf? Should I be put to sleep?

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Oh, c'mon guys, 12 people have looked at this but nobody can tell me if this is a terminal disease?

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
SiberianDVM said:
Oh, c'mon guys, 12 people have looked at this but nobody can tell me if this is a terminal disease?

We just didn't know how to break it to ya. Who wants to be responsible for something like that. :p

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
If you can pivot on the forward foot you are not shifting your weight. Most shots will be push or push/slice. You will have much more power if you move your weight forward.
Start with your feet shoulder width apart, swing easy and as you swing, step forward with your back foot like you are walking toward the target.
This will give you the feel of shifting your weight properly.
After that gets easy, try to get the same feel but don't step. If you shift properly you should be amazed at the results.

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
What if your rotation/weight transfer is so powerful that your left foot rotates, and in doing so tears up the ground something fierce?

Just...uh...wondering.

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
Silver said:
What if your rotation/weight transfer is so powerful that your left foot rotates, and in doing so tears up the ground something fierce?

Just...uh...wondering.

Maybe you need super spike shoes :)
But more seriously, better let your left foot rotate and kill the ground, then letting it planted firmly on the ground, as you may over-twist your knee and tear a ligament.
You know how to ski, right? Well, that's the kind of injury you can get.

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
dave. said:
Whats the ball flight telling you?

It's very unpredictable: some left, some right, some straight. Mostly a mild fade when I connect well.

If you can pivot on the forward foot you are not shifting your weight. Most shots will be push or push/slice. You will have much more power if you move your weight forward.

I was thinking that this may cause a power leak. Certainly, I need SOME excuse.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
some left,some right,some straight?

riiiiiiiiiiight,I diagnose a problem:) happy to help:)

OP
SiberianDVM

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Thanks Dave guys :)

yes, Ernie seems to have some idea what to do with a golf club. "Left foot stays flat on ground". I tried to do that yesterday, but my left foot seems to have a mind of it's own. I will keep working on it.

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
SDVM, concentrate on the "rolling the ankles" part. That is perhaps the most important part of footwork.

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online