• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Found a new Course!!

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I went to a new course today with 2fast named Swansea Country Club. Unfortuantely they were doing a lot of maintainence, greens were aerated and sanded as well as 9million goose turds in a few of the fairways on the back. Also there are powerlines over the top of a few holes on the back, 1 par 3 at 184 that's smack in my 5iron trajectory.

The good part, it's the longest course around at 6840/126/72.8 and a lot of holes set up for a fade. I had a tough time on those greens on a day I needed my shortgame. There was 1 par 5 at 635, I hit driver-5Wood-6iron on that one. 9 and 18 are pretty tough. Hoping for an easy closer to break 90 I run smack into this dogleg left, uphill approach, 460 yards. That's a friggen PGA tour hole. I hit a cut back off the dogleg and had 225 left in uphill. 9 was almost identicle but a sharper dogleg that turned left deeper. That one was 442 uphill approach.

Also there were 2 par 3's at 229 each. One is a hybrid for me and the other a 5wood. The other par 5's are all reachable at 504, 499 and 519. Oh, and the price. At $31 walking, this course is a steal. Had a good time and will definitely be playing this one again.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Pretty sweet, but longest course around at 6800?

Yeah, longest I've found that's public and under $100 anyway. I think Newport National is over 7000 from the tips. Don't forget, I could have teed off on #1 and hit Driver-3Wx about 15-16 and have an uphill approach into the Atlantic. :laugh: We're not hitting 360yd. drives off the top of a mountain.

There were a few short par 4's, one I believe could be driven at 340 downhill. As usual I start out with splitting the fairway with 100 and 14 inches in on the 369yd. par 4 with a cut drive off the left trap. Didn't want to mess with the bunker in front of the pin so left an uphill R to L 14footer and 2putted. #2 wasn't bad either, got to a short pitch away in 2 on the par 5 with 2cuts and another easy par. Somehow I started making things more difficult after that.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
229 yd par 3's?
Those would definitely screw me up, I hate any par 3 over 185 or so.

rmgr

Jul 30, 2007
I played at TPC Sugarloaf and they had a 249yd Par 3, first time I had seen anything over 200 be a par 3. :p

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
The long par 3's are popular around here. Triggs has 3 just under, just over and dead on 200. Another tough course, Exeter, has 2 that are 218 and 219. I played a course with Nsherman, I think it was Foster CC, that had one like 230 something uphill. I had a 15* 3W at the time and still didn't reach it.

I think they use these to bump up the slope rating a little maybe? Plus, with a lack of a hazard on all of these, it's really just sheer length making them tough. I don't really find any of them all that hard. I'm usually just attempting a chip or sand save 75% of the time on them anyway. Nothing exciting, try to put a 3 on the card and move on.

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
it was definitely a cool course. i'd definitely play again. the greens were in "maintainance" condition though.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Longest par_3 I ever played was a 240 in Upstate NY. The particular distance sucked because it was quite a bit short for my 3W, and a bit long for my 3i. My only distance gap is 220-250 :(

So naturally, being ignorant, I tried to crank the 3i instead of choking up on the 3w. Not a chance.

🔥 Latest posts