• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Found a new practice facitlity

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
How did I miss this one? There is a little range with a 9hole course and it's like 5 or 6 blocks from my house. They have a really nice putting green but no chipping allowed.
icon9.gif
They do have an area to practice chipping and a bunker but the "green" is just like fairway grass, not a green. I'll use that to hit short pitches and practice distance control on sand shots.

They have a large bucket for $9 and it's mosterous. I didn't even want to finish it. Only problem is they have no grass area to hit off, I don't do mats for irons. I was bouncing them bad off the mats and swithced over to just driver off the rubber tee. Then I hit off on a little 142yd. par 3 on my way to the bunker area and stuck a 9 to 3 ft. :rolleyes: No irons off mats, ever again.

Anyway. I think my new quick regimen will be the smaller bucket for 3 dozen or so drivers. Then over to the practice green. I will just practice the stroke and then try to hit putts from every conceivable break I can. I think tightening up these two areas will drop a few strokes. Plus I can do all this in less than an hour with just a 4 minute drive.

Oh, and they also have great balls. They are all mixed. I hit some Top Flites but also hit off a bunch of Prov's, NXT's, Pinnacle Exeptions and more. A lot better than those Superrange balls.

Sean

Worm Burner
Aug 24, 2006
One of the ranges I hit at has about 30% range balls and the rest are mixed regular production stuff, from the crappiest Topflites to the new D2s and everything from noodles to Prov's...

Maybe they just buy bulk from those dudes who dive in the water hazards? Doubt it'd be much more than new range balls???

I wish I had a place nearby. Good lookin out Ezra.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
A driving range without range balls? That can't be cost effective...

I think it's because they are the local "1st tee" sponsor. Just about every course I play has a donation bucket for balls. I hit 5 or 6 Prov1X's. Granted they have some scrapes and scratches but OK to drive. I'll use my own balls on the putting green.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
I seem to remember you mentioning this 1st Tee sponsoring place before... (just my imagination?)

Anyway, how do you miss a range 5 or 6 blocks from your place?! I would think at a minimum you would see the nets...

15andlife

Pulaski Golf Rocks!!
May 20, 2006
We have a first tee off of one of our 18 holers here, they have a range and a 3-hole par 3 course. I took my cousin out there for his first time golfing a nice little course.

Sandy

Aug 29, 2006
Oh, and they also have great balls. They are all mixed. I hit some Top Flites but also hit off a bunch of Prov's, NXT's, Pinnacle Exeptions and more. A lot better than those Superrange balls.

I found a range like that down in Asheville, NC when I wanted to have a warm-up the night before I played, and their basket of balls was ALL lake-balls and things. The grass tees were only good for practicing hitting of tricky lies and light rough, but I had a blast!

It gave you a chance to try lots and lots of weird balls you've never tried before to see if they were any good or not - I found the Top Flites nowhere near as bad as I'd remembered, but the cheaper Pinnacles and Ultras to be awful. My basket even contained a load of old balata Titleists!

dukejh12

May 19, 2007
Theres a place just like that near me. A small nine hole course with a nice little practice green and a small bunker to practice out of. I was wondering if it is normally alright to go there and practice and not pay for a round???

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Theres a place just like that near me. A small nine hole course with a nice little practice green and a small bunker to practice out of. I was wondering if it is normally alright to go there and practice and not pay for a round???

No range? I'd just ask them maybe? I wouldn't mind just going to this one to practice without using the range but figure I should spend something. Plus my driver swing and setup still needs work. It's not so much the shots as just getting to the point I can step up and do the same thing every time without overthinking everything. Pick a target and hit the ball at it.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006

Hmmm, that's a toughie. Honestly, if you gave them some business other times, I think they wouldn't mind.

But if you showed up a lot, didn't buy anything, and then left, might not be the best.

dukejh12

May 19, 2007
yeah i play a quick nine there all the time I was just thinking of going over there one day and practicing for a half hour or so. Sure beats the backyard. I'll just go up and ask the guy. It's only 10 bucks for 9 holes so if he says no I'll just play nine. I'd rather play on the executive course anyday then spend the same amount of money hitting a bucket of balls. They also have a championship course there with practice range and facilities but I know for a fact you only get privledges to those if your playing a round that day.

ecooke21

Sep 6, 2006
Oh yea.. I used to live near there on Woonasquatucket ave (mill at allendale).. You live in johnston? or providence?

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Providence. Right near Triggs now.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.