• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Four-man scramble shoots a 47?

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
Rockford35 said:
What about Ernie or Vijay? Even at 60% plus for each, they'd make out alright.

Yep, point. I was thinking Vijay would be in the fairway mostly, but Fred's always there and safe. And the rest have enough distance that they might all bomb and miss, but Fred will be safe...if 50 yards back.

Shame of shames, I had Ernie as the most dispensible member of that foursome. How scary is that?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Farquod said:
Shame of shames, I had Ernie as the most dispensible member of that foursome. How scary is that?

This is what I mean. This also somewhat gets back to my feelings about Pavin's "feat". Any one of these guys has it in them. Just most of the consistent guys play the big dollar tournaments, not the mail it in ones that the rest of the field bulks up on. I'm willing to be that the course he shot that score on didn't have 4" rough. (Which, in Pavin's defense, didn't matter because his Fairways Hit that weekend was like 9000%). But I digress...

Imagine if one or all of these dudes headed down to your local track. It would be interesting to see if they failed miserably because of the shitty green and fairway conditions, or they lit that course's ass on fire.

R35

OP
bames

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
Rockford35 said:
Imagine if one or all of these dudes headed down to your local track. It would be interesting to see if they failed miserably because of the shitty green and fairway conditions, or they lit that course's ass on fire.

R35

My point exactly. I always think about that.

If you had a two man scramble - who would you choose as your partner?

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
Rockford35 said:

They'd light it on fire, man. You know it.

The group you chose has power, distance, putting, short game. High save percentage out of the crap. Fact is, I don't think you'd need more than any 2 to shoot -18. If the first guy drove into trouble, the second guy hits a 3w or iron off the tee. I still think they birdie most holes, and eagle every par 5.

Bames, to me, a crap shoot. I might take Ernie or Vijay; I think they'd be the most fun to play with. I ain't gonna contribute much anyway, so the conversation better be good.... ;)

cypressperch

Jun 24, 2006
Toledo Bend Lake, Louisiana
Country
I once played with the legendary

Shirley Picard in a nine-hole scramble. We had three eagles, five birdies, and a par for eleven under. The two of us accounted for all of the scoring except our third player made one of the birdie putts. Except for lipping out a fairly short putt on #5, the round was as low as you could get on that course without at least one hole-in-one. So twelve under for nine was possible, but to have done the same on the back nine? No way!

I wish we had been playing Tiger and Phil that day for all the marbles. That would have been something!!!

Sincerely, Cypressperch

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Farquod said:
They'd light it on fire, man. You know it.

The group you chose has power, distance, putting, short game. High save percentage out of the crap. Fact is, I don't think you'd need more than any 2 to shoot -18. If the first guy drove into trouble, the second guy hits a 3w or iron off the tee. I still think they birdie most holes, and eagle every par 5.

Bames, to me, a crap shoot. I might take Ernie or Vijay; I think they'd be the most fun to play with. I ain't gonna contribute much anyway, so the conversation better be good.... ;)

I agree 100%.

(oh and I'd take the best player in the world as my partner no questions asked)

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Do these scrambles require you use a minimum of 4 tee shots per team member? If you have a couple who are bad players that should really screw a team like that up. And you have to mark the scorecard as to who's drive you used. If you see a beginner's drive was used and they got a birdie you know something's wrong!!

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
It would cost $900 (tax deductible?? :) ) but put 18 shots near the fringe and I'd most likely chip 15 or 16 inside that 6ft. hole. I'd be interested to know how much it cost them to manage that score.

OP
bames

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
WBL - Generally the tournaments we play have stipulations like that, however this did not.

EARA - I know that a 6' hole sounds large - but that is diameter, not radius - one would have to hit an approach shot to within 3 feet of the pin! I almost asked them how much the 47 cost them, but it was for school supplies for area teachers and I didn't want to appear a scrooge.

I would take Tiger without having to even think about it. Incredible pressure putter, deadly with irons, smart off the tee.

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
Warbird L: I have the exact same hole-in-one trophy as you have in the above pic. Have my Maxfli HT that I holed out with lodged in it, too. Mad, eh...!? :)

CybrSlicr

Aug 30, 2004
Unless my math is off, to eagle a par-3, you need a hole in one. To eagle a par-4, you will probably have to chip in from a decent distance on your second shot. The par-5's are obviously the more likely eagle candidates. How many fives are on the course? How many par-4's are less than 350?

Assuming four par-5's, they had to eagle all four and still manage to come up with a mix of hole-in-one's and cupped irons or drivable par-4's with one putt.

That seems a bit of a stretch to me...

OP
bames

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
token_hottie said:
that ain't right :diespam:

That is exactly what I thought by the time I figured it out. Thank you TH

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Hahaha, sounds like a Scramble my dad and I played in. Together, we shot 61(My dad has a phenominal short game). Anyway, it was an honest score and we were only two because we were the only twosome to sign up, the rest were 4s.

Anyway, the winning team won with a 54. The best part? I played with 3 of the guys earlier that week at the same course, none of them broke 90 honestly. Oh yeah, there were no mulligans.

I didn't raise any fuss though, I had fun, and all the proceeds went to the Children's Hospital.

P_102

Jun 7, 2005
The string.....

I'd bet money that any shot that rolled within 3 ft. of the hole (whether it stopped that close or not), was counted.

P_102

🔥 Latest posts

Members online