• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Foursome types of play

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Thanks for the welcome.

I've been to other forums for other things, and it always seems like the very first time someone gets into a conversation theyr'e always nailed to the wall because they've said something that the regular members don't care for.

But anyways, I figured for being in the top five of golf forums that this was a pretty active community. I do hope I got the right idea, and this is a friendly forum.

We really are, we are just largely a xenophobic lot.

Get to know us really well, and learn of futons, sheep, and the Eracer/MC escapades.

The Salt Vampire

...and loving it.
Aug 14, 2006
Can the "Spammer's" website handle Super Wolf? Wolf goes last in this version. We love this game, but there has to be one guy in charge of the math. I was playing this for dimes, went alone, pressed and watched one my opponents make an ace. Cost me about $100.

Super Wolf

The order of play is decided on the first tee. Players tee off from 1 to 4. Player 4 is the opening Wolf. On the second hole, the player 3 becomes the Wolf and player 4 tees off first, followed by 1 and 2, etc…. Players rotate the order throughout the round.

On the seventeenth hole the players tee off in the order of the standings with the leading player going first. On the eighteenth hole, the leader goes first, followed by the third place guy and then the fourth place guy. The second place player is the Wolf.

Partners

After each player tees off the Wolf may choose him as his partner. If he passes, he may not select that player on that hole. A selected partner may refuse and choose to go alone (becoming the Pig). If he does, all bets are doubled.

If the Wolf does not choose a partner, he becomes the Lone Wolf and plays alone against all of the other players. A Wolf may declare himself Lone Wolf before any players have teed off and double the bet as well.

Scoring

There are seven points available on every hole. Super Wolf is the same as regular Wolf except that all points, including doubled points, not won are carried over. Therefore, if someone birdies the 18th hole and it is the only birdie of the day, it would be worth at least 18 points.

2 points are scored for low ball,
2 points are scored for low team total,
1 point is scored for “Prox” (closest to the hole in regulation, ball must be on the green, player must make par or better),
1 point is awarded for a natural birdie or eagle (more than one player can win this on a hole),
1 point is awarded for longest putt, chip or full shot made (provided it is longer than the flagstick and has some bearing on the result of the hole).

If a team wins all seven points on a hole, that is an “Umbrella” and the point total doubles. If a team wins all seven points with a natural eagle, the point total triples. This will lead to a big multiplier if there is a Lone Wolf and Umbrella at the same time.

If a player is the Lone Wolf or Pig his team total is decided by doubling his score. The “Hunters” team score is the best 2 of the 3 balls.

One press per player per nine is allowed by any player other than the one leading at the time of the press. Players should wager $0.20 or $0.25 per point.

golfGuru08

Aug 14, 2008
Spammer's games

Can the "Spammer's" website handle Super Wolf? Wolf goes last in this version. We love this game, but there has to be one guy in charge of the math. I was playing this for dimes, went alone, pressed and watched one my opponents make an ace. Cost me about $100.

Super Wolf

The order of play is decided on the first tee. Players tee off from 1 to 4. Player 4 is the opening Wolf. On the second hole, the player 3 becomes the Wolf and player 4 tees off first, followed by 1 and 2, etc…. Players rotate the order throughout the round.

On the seventeenth hole the players tee off in the order of the standings with the leading player going first. On the eighteenth hole, the leader goes first, followed by the third place guy and then the fourth place guy. The second place player is the Wolf.

Partners

After each player tees off the Wolf may choose him as his partner. If he passes, he may not select that player on that hole. A selected partner may refuse and choose to go alone (becoming the Pig). If he does, all bets are doubled.

If the Wolf does not choose a partner, he becomes the Lone Wolf and plays alone against all of the other players. A Wolf may declare himself Lone Wolf before any players have teed off and double the bet as well.

Scoring

There are seven points available on every hole. Super Wolf is the same as regular Wolf except that all points, including doubled points, not won are carried over. Therefore, if someone birdies the 18th hole and it is the only birdie of the day, it would be worth at least 18 points.

2 points are scored for low ball,
2 points are scored for low team total,
1 point is scored for “Prox” (closest to the hole in regulation, ball must be on the green, player must make par or better),
1 point is awarded for a natural birdie or eagle (more than one player can win this on a hole),
1 point is awarded for longest putt, chip or full shot made (provided it is longer than the flagstick and has some bearing on the result of the hole).

If a team wins all seven points on a hole, that is an “Umbrella” and the point total doubles. If a team wins all seven points with a natural eagle, the point total triples. This will lead to a big multiplier if there is a Lone Wolf and Umbrella at the same time.

If a player is the Lone Wolf or Pig his team total is decided by doubling his score. The “Hunters” team score is the best 2 of the 3 balls.

One press per player per nine is allowed by any player other than the one leading at the time of the press. Players should wager $0.20 or $0.25 per point.

Hey thanks for the definition of Super Wolf. Actually we're working on getting regular Wolf into the setup. It's going to be a little bit of problem 'cause we the players have to keep choosing different partners for each hole, but Wolf is on the list.

For those who are wondering what games we can handle, we currently have the follow:

Abilene, Best Ball, Birdies, Daytona, Eagles, Match Play, Nassau, Point Play, Skins, Skins no Carry Over, Sows, Stableford, Stroke and Train Wreck.

All of these games can be found in the book 'Golf Games' by Rich Ussak.

golfGuru08

Aug 14, 2008
Another game

Train wreck is a pretty evil game too.

From what I understand this is how you play it:

Players play their own ball and accumulate points as follows: bogey=1, par=2, birdie=3, eagle=4, albatross=5, hole in one=10.

If at any point during the round, player makes a double bogey or two bogeys in a row, the players points are reset to 0.

Players keep separate point values for net and gross. Highest point values win.

So you could be high score all the way up to the 17th and 18th hole. You Boggy on the 17th, and then boggy on the last, you are suddenly last with no points. If you've got money riding on this style of game, you're able to either make a whole lot quick or loss everything faster.

The Salt Vampire

...and loving it.
Aug 14, 2006
Abilene, Best Ball, Birdies, Daytona, Eagles, Match Play, Nassau, Point Play, Skins, Skins no Carry Over, Sows, Stableford, Stroke and Train Wreck.

All of these games can be found in the book 'Golf Games' by Rich Ussak.

I have the 1990 version of that book, the following games are not in it. What is/are Abilene, Daytona and Sows?

golfGuru08

Aug 14, 2008
What are Abilene, Daytona and Sows?

What is/are Abilene, Daytona and Sows?

I think these games are called by many different names around the country. But here's how we define there games.

- Abilene, a GREAT game. There are 2 variations of Abilene. Some play with long drive for a 5 point game, or play with 4 points and do not count long drive. You have teams of 2 that play each other. If you and I were partners against Joe and Schome. We win closest to the pin, win single low score, and win low team total, we would get 3 points, but Joe and Schome get low team total putts, so they get 1 point, so we net result 2 points. There are no presses, EXCEPT that the point total can change like with skins. Each point is worth point value * number of points awarded per man/per team based on how they configure it. So if we were playing for a point value of 1 per man, we would be up 2 points after the first hole. If you win ALL of the points, you get a bucket. The bucket can either be worth and extra point, or double points.

- Daytona (A lot like Vegas) This game is played between four players, two on each team. On each hole a team's score is a two digit number where the ten's digit is the low score of the two golfers, and the one's digit is the high score. The points earned on a hole is the difference between the two team's scores. For example if team A scored a 4 and 5 and team B scored a 5 and 6, team A wins 11 points (56 - 45). A running total of the points is kept and the winners are payed one unit bet for each point won.

- Sows, everyone’s favorite bet. This is a putting game where the goal is to gain as many Sows as possible. You are awarded a Sow for any putt made that is longer than the flag stick. You are also awarded a Sow for any birdie putt. A birdie putt made that is longer than the flag stick is awarded 2 Sows. Scoring: . This is a per player only wager. There will never be teams allowed on this bet. It is per man only at whatever the wager is set at.

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
when our monthly foresome goes out we play C.O.D.

C=carts so the 2 guys in the carts are partners for the first 6 holes
O=opposites so the the driver of one cart and the passenger of the other cart are partners for the middle 6 holes
D=drivers are partners for the final 6 holes.

best score gets a point
aggregate score gets a point
birdies get a point
closest to the pin on par 3`s gets a point if they convert for par or better if bogey or worse point is forefitted to other team.

points can be worth what ever you want.

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006

O=opposites so the the driver of one cart and the passenger of the other cart are partners for the middle 6 holes

best score gets a point
birdies get a point
closest to the pin on par 3`s gets a point if they convert for par or better if bogey or worse point is forefitted to other team.

We call this a Round Robin match. Since not everyone rides, we use a different method of pairing, but it's the same principle. First third (or Robin) pairs the longest and shortest tee shots on the 1st hole, second Robin pairs longest and shortest tee shots on the 7th hole (that weren't together in the first teams), and the last Robin pairs up the players who haven't yet been matched. We score 1 point for the low score and one point of the lowest high score. For example, if Team one scores 4, 7 and team 2 scores 5, 6 then team one gets a point for low ball (4 vs 5), and team 2 gets a point for the lowest high ball (6 vs 7).

Question about Snake: What happens if 2 or more players three-putt on the same hole?

golfGuru08

Aug 14, 2008
COD game

best score gets a point
birdies get a point

Actually this what we call six, six, six in my neck of the woods. We dont' have this game actually programmed in, but by setting up a series of groups with a min hole and max hole you could score this manually. Each group would have their own wagers for six holes, and then would switch off to the next group. Overall the scores would still total up correctly though.

🔥 Latest posts