• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Friends and Golf

MrT

Jul 23, 2008
SO I have a question for you guys. I am new to this site BTW and have been playing this great game for a little over 2 years. During the year I teach and don't have too much time to practice, but during the summer I work hard at my game and now can say I break 100 on a regular basis.

My question comes from this. I have 2 friends who I have grown up with and are the people responsible for getting me into the game. We usually play once a week. But lately I have been wanting to get out more and play as the range doesn't feel like enough feedback as a round would. They are picky about price (which I can understand, again I am a teacher and money can be tight), time, course and tend to make tee times way to late and we never can finish in time!

My question is do I leave these guys and play on my own? Or do I wait around and miss out on some fun and practice in real life course situations?

I mean these guys were in my wedding and they have helped me improve a lot....but is it weird to go play on your own? I feel confident enough to be able to do it, also because I know I can just pick up and put the ball in a better lie to give my self more practice and not be so competitive!

What do you guys think?
:wow:
Thanks again!

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
I enjoy playing alone. I usually play a lot better, because golf is the only thing I am concentrating on. However, unlike you, I kick my ball into worse lies for more practice. ;)

The only way to tell is to go play a round by yourself. Let us know how you like it.

Nikonut

Apr 24, 2008
N. Texas
Country
United States United States
Yep...you definatly have to seperate the serious from the social.
too much social golf can be tough on your focus.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
I guess you can still play with then bu take me time to play solo, or find someone to play 18 with you. Is not like you're cheating on them to play with someone else, is it?

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I will play a rd on the wekends with a few guys from work, but during the week I play strictly as a single. The 1st couple times felt weird but now I actually prefer it that way.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
They will(or should anyway) understand that you wnat to get out and play more golf than they want(or are able) to...

get out and play by yourself man!

OP
MrT

MrT

Jul 23, 2008
Yeah...it's no cheating....LOL.....I guess I just don't want some strangers getting p-offed cuz I suck...lol.....but then when I think about people are pretty cool on the course. Even the most die hard is out to have fun.

I def think it will be weird.

So when you guys play solo do you hit the twilight hours or just get on a singles waiting list?

Also trying to lose wait so waling solo will help too!

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Just tell em you'd like to play more and you understand if they don't feel like it.

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
give it a try.you might enjoy playing by yourself.myself i dont play alone mainly i dont have the oppertunity as our course has leagues every night.

but i know what you mean about the feel on the range compared to the course.in the 10+yrs i have played the game i have gone to the range maybe 5 times with aboujt 3 of those coming in the first 3 months of taking up the game.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Welcome to ST!

Go ahead out, they wont care at all, or at least they shouldnt.

And if your breaking 100 most of the time, then your better than a TON of golfers out there already. I routinely get paired up with players who cant break 100, not everyone is amazing at golf, but most are generally nice people.

Go on out there and have fun!

OP
MrT

MrT

Jul 23, 2008
alright! I went out today by my lonesome and had a great round...now I only shot a 99....but I think my playing was better than my score...so let me show off for a second....I hit 8/14 fairways and was putting for birdie on 2/4 par 3's......pretty good I think....and my irons were way on! gotta work on that short game though!

The guys I got paired up with were really cool and understood about playing alone for the first time....but one guys said he does it alot and his confidence builds because of it...then he goes and plays with his buddies and kicks ass!

So yeah....I think I will be heading out more often and getting that practice...thanks again and look for my "Just broke 90" post someday soon!

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
alright! I went out today by my lonesome and had a great round...now I only shot a 99....but I think my playing was better than my score...so let me show off for a second....I hit 8/14 fairways and was putting for birdie on 2/4 par 3's......pretty good I think....and my irons were way on! gotta work on that short game though!

The guys I got paired up with were really cool and understood about playing alone for the first time....but one guys said he does it alot and his confidence builds because of it...then he goes and plays with his buddies and kicks ass!

So yeah....I think I will be heading out more often and getting that practice...thanks again and look for my "Just broke 90" post someday soon!

Sounds awesome, glad you had a good time. I like playing single, but I live in a small town with 5 courses (1 is private and 2 are at Callaway Gardens and out of my price range) so if I go play single during the week I get to stay that way. I love playing through by myself. I have joined up with other people a couple of times midway through the round and that was really cool, but I still prefer being all by my lonesome. Depending on how much time I want to kill sometimes I'll play two balls as completely seperate rounds.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I like playing myself (don't even think about it, eclark...), but only if the course is pretty empty. And I won't play alone if I can't walk. Sounds strange, but playing alone in a cart just seems wrong to me.

As for getting out and playing with other people - heck yeah you should. Golf is a social game, and most of the people you meet in this game are very nice. It helps in other ways. You have to deal with the occasional loudmouth, type-A, or other A-hole. Learning to focus on your game when you're outside the comfort zone of your regular group can help you in the future, especially when you get into tournaments.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I play as a single on weekends and have enjoyed all the new "partners" I've been paired with. All seem welcome to take on a "stranger" and I play so good in those situations where I can relax and probably never see them again. So I score low usually. Also enjoy playing with sssmokin (sibling rivalry) since we are so even. :)

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.