• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

From the ANTI-Club HO: OH NO!!!

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I am very conservative about buying new clubs. I've had the same set of Titleist DCI irons for 12 years...my r7 Driver for two years, my Sonartec woods and TM Rescue Mid for three....and last year, after using the same T-Line putter for 16 years, I bought a 2-Ball.

So even though there is a lot of talk here about equipment, I don't listen much....

This morning, we are set to tee off around 8:00 or so and I am on the range at 7:30 getting loose. A good friend who does not play in my group is out there hitting his Callaway Fusion square headed driver. The guy is a 24 handicap and tries really hard at the game....

He and I are hitting next to each other and he says..."Try this driver".

So I hit it and it is perfectly straight and has good distance. I hit 4-5 more. Sweeet.

He says, "I'm not playing this morning. What don't you take it with you when you play?"

Well, who gives a shit? So I took the club and teed off with it. Nice and straight.

When I play, I hit driver on 13 holes on our course. On about half the holes I hit some sort of knockdown or other shot where I try to work the ball. The other half I just try to get all I can get out of it.

I usually miss at least 5 fairways when I play with my r7 with the Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue.

I hit 11 out of 13 fairways with the Cally Fusion. I missed one fairway by about a yard....

Needless to say, I love the club. It has a Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff shaft in it.

ARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!

BTW, I had a fun round and had a rare trifecta where I birdied 5,6, and 7. I two putted 14 greens and 1 putted four for 32 putts. Another rarity for me....shot an 80.

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
Hehehe... just remember, you will always hit someone else's clubs better. Once it's in your bag it will turn on you. :laugh:

I think that's some kind of golf zen thing.

:ugly25:

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
Ho away its for the best. Your game will improve and your inner ho will be satisfied :)

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
You owe it to yourself since you've been so loyal. If you can find a deal on one, you'll have no prob getting your money back if you can't hit it

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
I am done with top of the range stuff.I am having a total rethink.I am long with the R7 425,but I just don't need the length at the expense of the fairways I miss,plus I need my best swings all the time.I can't be bothered with it anymore.Going to use equipment that is well within my capabilities rather than gear than is me at my best.Its tiresome and it costs shots.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I am done with top of the range stuff.I am having a total rethink.I am long with the R7 425,but I just don't need the length at the expense of the fairways I miss,plus I need my best swings all the time.I can't be bothered with it anymore.Going to use equipment that is well within my capabilities rather than gear than is me at my best.Its tiresome and it costs shots.

I agree and that's what I liked about this club. Even with the Fujikura 757 Speeder shaft, it wouldn't carry as long as the r7 with the ProLaunch. It clearly was a bit shorter.

But it was just so damn straight...and I would say that I was swinging the club very typically. I committed to play the entire round with it - regardless of what happened on any given shot - just to see how it would react under the different circumstances I use my driver for and I really liked it.

But this club, with that shaft would probably run me about $700 and I ain't going for that...

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cally did a great job with the FT-i as it is not an offensive square shaped driver.

As for a buddie's club performing but then betraying the moment you buy it, well, that is only if you try it at the range or for a couple of holes. When you take one out for a full round and are able to do what you did with it, you need to figure out a way to make it happen. ;)

I was going back and fourth with a SQ Tour that my buddy was selling. It was doing pretty well at the range but I just wasn't ready to give up on my 905R. One day I finally decided to give it a chance on the course for entire round. I ended up handing my buddy the cash just after we walked off the 18the green... :D

gunning4u

Dec 31, 2006
Maybe buy the shaft first and throw it into the R7 and then later buy the cally

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Just think what they're gonna have for next year!

(That was to salivate all the jokers that buy retail. Now, you'll get a 9/10 with that shaft for less than $200 in two months.

Patience....)

R35

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
one of our league guys bought an FT-I but hes looking to sell it because he says its 50 yds shorter then his Quad.but he says everyoneelse that hits it crushes it..

JasonMacIsaac

Titleist and Cleveland
Feb 23, 2005
R7 is dead compared to the newer heads, if its the original R7 that is. The hottest head I have seen on the market is the Ping G5.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I play with several guys who like the G5...but I hit the Cally Fusion straighter than they did yesterday.

The only way I would consider buying the club would be to play two more complete rounds with it...if the distance loss was not too bad and I could really get confident that it was a lot straighter - I'd go for it.

🔥 Latest posts