• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

From the Tips?

Duckhook Mallard

Aug 27, 2004
I have a friend that I play with every so often - he's a great guy and a business associate of mine and we get together about once a month or so to hit the rock around. We're about the same handicap - 16 or so.

Here's my question. He ALWAYS insists on playing from the tips. . not just the back tees. . .but the tips. . . the back corner of the longest tee box. He won't even hear of anything else. . . . on some courses that's fine, I don't really mind the challenge. . . . . but on certain courses it makes the course an absolute beast and I end up shooting 107 or something like that because I can't always carry it 275 and straight off every tee. The funny thing is that he can't either - he's no longer or straighter off the tee than any of us in the foursome. He absolutely loves it! Its the creepiest thing. :confused:

Normally this wouldn't be an issue but because of our business relationship - he typically treats for the round. So I can't really argue with him since he's paying. So I'm kind of between a rock and a hard place here. . . I'm not going to turn down free golf (EVER! Under any circumstances!), but I'm not really enjoying playing with him and his wierd masocistic 7,200 yard round/ 145 slope fetish.

Any advice for how to convice him to start playing from the appropriate tees, keeping in mind that this is a delicate situation (we're dealing with egos here!) and that I want to continue to be invited back for rounds?

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Duckhook Mallard said:
I have a friend that I play with every so often - he's a great guy and a business associate of mine and we get together about once a month or so to hit the rock around. We're about the same handicap - 16 or so.

Here's my question. He ALWAYS insists on playing from the tips. . not just the back tees. . .but the tips. . . the back corner of the longest tee box. He won't even hear of anything else. . . . on some courses that's fine, I don't really mind the challenge. . . . . but on certain courses it makes the course an absolute beast and I end up shooting 107 or something like that because I can't always carry it 275 and straight off every tee. The funny thing is that he can't either - he's no longer or straighter off the tee than any of us in the foursome. He absolutely loves it! Its the creepiest thing. :confused:

Normally this wouldn't be an issue but because of our business relationship - he typically treats for the round. So I can't really argue with him since he's paying. So I'm kind of between a rock and a hard place here. . . I'm not going to turn down free golf (EVER! Under any circumstances!), but I'm not really enjoying playing with him and his wierd masocistic 7,200 yard round/ 145 slope fetish.

Any advice for how to convice him to start playing from the appropriate tees, keeping in mind that this is a delicate situation (we're dealing with egos here!) and that I want to continue to be invited back for rounds?

Play to his ego. Butter him up with the idea that everyone isn't as "good as him" and that sometimes your game needs the confidence boost of the slightly lower scores. He'll feel a bit boosted, and gladly play the martyr for you. Try it and be amazed. Pg. 1000 of Briahm Crowe's "How to Win Friends and Influence Them to Keep Paying For Your Golf."

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Offer it up with a flip of the coin. Heads are the Whites, Tails the blues. Maybe he'd go for that.

Then, once you're done, say "Geeze, it's much more fun playing from up here, don't ya think?"

Maybe let him win by a few, see that he can, ahem, wax you from the whites... ;)

R35

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
Change the format of the game by making bets. This will be a good excuse to get on the blue tea. Make up a rule so that every 10 handicapper or more has to play on the blue tea, and 9 or less on the black tea. Say, with a smile, that you need to follow the rules. :D

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
Convince him to play off the whites, but let him wear clothes pegs on his nipples for the masochistic effect.....

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online