• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Frustrated!

J.P.C.

Aug 31, 2010
Cape Town, South Africa
Country
South Africa South Africa
last couple of rounds i've picked up a heavy fade, used to be a slight fade which i could control, now it's just nasty!!

my hips are way to fast coming down causing this stupid fade, only counter i've been able to get for that is to slow my swing down by a lot! loosing some distance, but at least it straight! adjusted my driver to counter the fade, goes good for a couple of holes and then my hips start turning to fast again! hope this makes sense....any ideas to work with??

this problem is only with the driver??:confused:

attached a pic, need to get a video though.....
DSC_000043.JPG

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
That looks fine to me as far as the hips go...

I think what's happening is your hands are getting ahead of the ball before impact. Do you have a picture of impact? If you're not stopping your hands and letting the club release through impact, you'll leave the face open and cause blocks/fades depending on the path.

OP
J.P.C.

J.P.C.

Aug 31, 2010
Cape Town, South Africa
Country
South Africa South Africa
thanks for that - unfortunately i don't have a pic of impact - will have to get one with my next round! will obviously "practise" this somehow though.....

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
its in your heels. you are effecting an open. Your toes must be lying little bitches.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Also..I like to have the ball further forward in the stance than you have it....that will help get a more positive angle of attack as well as close the face up. Every time I start blocking, I move the ball forward because I naturally tend to set up wit the ball too far back.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Also..I like to have the ball further forward in the stance than you have it....that will help get a more positive angle of attack as well as close the face up. Every time I start blocking, I move the ball forward because I naturally tend to set up wit the ball too far back.
^^^exactly what I do.

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
I am not that good, BUT when I drive the ball best is when I have good tempo. A violent change from back to down swing, which is probably what kind of happens with your hips getting so far ahead, leads to blocks for me too. Or hooks if I "save" it with hands/wrists. I like to think of a plumb bob on a string, you've pulled it back and let go and it builds speed building up to it's peak speed at the bottom (impact zone).

For me the other part of the equation is the limits of your body. It's like my core is a big rubber band and my backswing is coiling (loading) that rubber band, then uncoiling is the downswing. My body only goes so far and if I take any bigger backswing it's being done with the wrists and other variables that ultimately kill my tempo and don't let my core do it's natural work. No longer "connected". That brings in the "saving" with arms/hands/wrists and I don't know what i'm going to get. For me, letting my core do the work and letting the speed build up rather than trying to create speed that's just not there ends up getting me more clubhead speed. Body speed doesn't = clubhead speed if it's not in sync. Who here can crack a whip in the same exact spot repeatedly?

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
I actually try to accelerate on my back swing slightly. Real slow to start. I tighten and lag and stretch at the top with a little speed. its like the takeaway is the beginning of a really long downswing where nothing is violent in the middle but the acceleration of body momentum occurs over the longest distance and time. Im trying to allow more time at a steadily increasing velocity. There is a sweetspot/line i dont wanna overdo up top is all. It slows my backswing a little but actually helps me start with the lower body cause im twisted like you and your rubber band with the slight momentum I built going back.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
I actually agree with both of you. Stored energy=club head speed. As for JPC, I believe Clark is right, ball needs to be moved a bit forward.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
I could be wrong, but it looks to me like your hips are sliding through rather than turning. So at impact, your body is ahead of the ball, leaving you open and cutting across the ball.

And if that picture was taken square to your address, then your ball position is too far back. Put it up at your left heel. I do that by addressing the ball square to my target, feet together, and then step back with my right foot, leaving my left one in the same spot.

But I'm not a swing coach.... @MarkFed should be able to help.

MarkFed

Jun 17, 2013
New England
Country
Hey JPC...Kinda hard to say exactly why you're hitting a big fade from just a photo. Just looking at the photo, I actually think your hips are in great position in that picture if you were at impact. I agree with TT that it looks like you're "sliding" along with turning. Your hips should slide slightly forward to start the downswing. Just enough to start getting your weight moving toward your left side. Other than my hands through the impact area, I don't want any part of my body to pass my left foot. What I see in the photo is that your left knee is outside your left foot. Again, without a video, that would indicate to me, as TT said, your body is ahead of the ball at impact which makes it much harder to square up the face. I also like to play the ball off my left instep, but it can be played back a little if you feel more comfortable. The important thing is to be able to get the clubface square at impact.
If you can, try to post a video...one from down the line, and one from face on, both with you hitting that big fade.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
You're a swing coach? I either didn't know or forgot... sorry.

I thought you were just a DB extraordinaire. :D

You said you're not a swing coach....

I said, that goes for me as well. If I were a swing coach, I would be coaching that chick on the swing academy show on the golf channel. I'd fix her real good. Jumping jacks and trampolines would be my main methods.

I am, definitely, a DB extraordinaire.

🔥 Latest posts