• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

FST Pro VS Nippon 1050GH

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I recently had the opportunity to nab a set of Nippon shafts. I've always been a fan, but just couldn't justify the cost. I've loved my FST's (Pro Whites in irons, Pro's in FW's, hybrids, and Pro 115/125's in irons), and have nothing to complain.

I nabbed a set of 1050GH's, which are about the same weight as the FST Pro 115's that I am currently bagging. The set of PW-3 also included three brand new wedge shafts that came uncut, all for the price of about what 3 of these shafts run new retail. Parallel tip (.370), 1" long over standard and gamed for 2 rounds. Absolutely mint.

I figured an experiment was in order. I pulled the shaft in my 52* Nakashima NP-1 wedge head (bent to 50*) and hit it head to head against my 48* Nakashima NP-1 forged head shafted with an FST Pro 115.

I was SHOCKED at how effortless these shafts are to hit. The 50* shafted wedge is 20 yards longer than my PW. That 50* was settling in at distances I'm currently hitting my 8 iron. Unbelievable. I have a couple tournaments upcoming and want consistency over distance for them, but the rest of the gang will definitely be Japanese shafted at the end of this season. The feel and energy transfer is unlike anything I have ever hit. These make PX feel like baseball bats. You can feel the compression and release of the ball off the face and maneuvering the ballflight is much, much easier. This might be an issue with others, but I love being able to hit a cut with a short iron. I could not do this with the FST's - they're straight as hell.

Unreal.

I still love the FST's and will likely keep these for a spare set of heads I'll likely pick up in the winter (see: sheer boredom). But the Nippons are just insane.

R35

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I got my used set of S59's with the 950GH's in stiff flex and I think one of the reason I'm hitting these irons so well (for me) are those shafts. They feel fantastic. Do you have your irons true length whatever'd R35? (Like LyleG).

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Do you have your irons true length whatever'd R35? (Like LyleG).

LOL...True Length Technology? Check the sig...:D

Lyle did my set up when I had these FST's done and did a bang up job. I plan on maintaining the same lengths as what my FST's are playing at.

R35

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Yep, I believe the Nippons to be the real deal. I have a friend with MP-32's/950GH's, and they feel amazing. They are long as a summer day, too. I don't know what they do, but it works. New price is muy ouchy, though.

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
New price is muy ouchy, though.

Bingo. Last spring, I looked into a set for 3-LW. I then decided I needed my kidneys more. Then, I decided that maybe my kidneys and pancreas, plus a lung were optional to life itself, and decided to look into the Super Peening versions.

This deal came along and I could not pass it by. I toyed with the idea of turning around and flipping them for triple the price, but for this cheap, I gotta give them a go. Just waiting on some grips and ferrules, and I'll have a review up. My guess is I'm going to be very happy if the attack wedge trial was any indication.

R35

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I don't understand though, how you gained that much distance? I assume you weren't exaggerating, but still even a gain of 10 yds would be an eye opener, but your 50* as long as your 8i? how is that possible?

Oh and Clug, saw you were looking for one of these. i was going to send a PM, but I am to lazy! LOL!

TaylorMade r7 Steel Men's Right Handed Fairway Wood

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Jim,

I can't explain it. The ballflight is penetrating and the energy release to the ball is just outstanding.

It could be one of those circumstances where I've found what might be the perfect shaft for my swing characteristics. I love the FST feel and delivery to the ball, but always found that I was one club behind everyone else. The vast majority of guys playing with me are PX guys, but I have three that play the same in their wedges as me and they hit the ball just that much further than I do, even with my clubs. I know distance isn't everything (especially with me, I've always maintained straight vs far forever), but i feel as tho on some shots I just want that extra 7-10 yards to help.

This still remains an experiment per se, and we shall see what happens through the set, but I'm extremely optimistic. I can always fall back on the FST's if I face palm myself here. :D

R35

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Jim,

I can't explain it. The ballflight is penetrating and the energy release to the ball is just outstanding.

It could be one of those circumstances where I've found what might be the perfect shaft for my swing characteristics. I love the FST feel and delivery to the ball, but always found that I was one club behind everyone else. The vast majority of guys playing with me are PX guys, but I have three that play the same in their wedges as me and they hit the ball just that much further than I do, even with my clubs. I know distance isn't everything (especially with me, I've always maintained straight vs far forever), but i feel as tho on some shots I just want that extra 7-10 yards to help.

This still remains an experiment per se, and we shall see what happens through the set, but I'm extremely optimistic. I can always fall back on the FST's if I face palm myself here. :D

R35

This could be very true, I remember when I tried the blueboard for the first time. From the first swing I was longer and straighter. Good luck with the Nippons and I may have to look into some...

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
Dang it...just one more thing for me to check out...and probably buy haha.

I played my MP60s really well the last two times out, but I will say that one thing I think I miss is the "weighty" feel of something like S300s. I have the rifle flighted shafts and sometimes they just feel too light. I don't even know if any of this makes sense but I wish I could "feel where my club is" a little more. I wonder if these are a step in that direction.

Thanks and keep us posted bud

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
I agree, although they're 950s. I got them by accident, in a few wedges that shouldn't have come with them - I think as Nickent was running out of money they just started sticking pieces together from what they had on hand, so my GW, SW, and LW all have the Nippon 950GH even though they were never sold that way. Friggin' amazing feel and performance. It's like you can finally have the feel of an appropriate flex for you (or maybe even softer than appropriate,) but without the lack of control you'd expect to accompany that. I want more, no doubt.

OP
Rockford35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I don't even know if any of this makes sense but I wish I could "feel where my club is" a little more. I wonder if these are a step in that direction.

Thanks and keep us posted bud

Do you mean feel where it is during the swing? I think these would help. I'm not sure how much more "control" it delivers, but you can tell where the clubhead is and deliver it to the impact zone with more authority knowing you can feel the head through the downswing.

I don't know if these are for everybody, but they sure feel great on initial testing.

I STUNK it up yesterday with my driver, putted well and hit the best irons of all year. Makes sense that I'd swap my shafts out, right? LOL. :D

R35

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
Do you mean feel where it is during the swing? I think these would help. I'm not sure how much more "control" it delivers, but you can tell where the clubhead is and deliver it to the impact zone with more authority knowing you can feel the head through the downswing.

I don't know if these are for everybody, but they sure feel great on initial testing.

I STUNK it up yesterday with my driver, putted well and hit the best irons of all year. Makes sense that I'd swap my shafts out, right? LOL. :D

R35

Feeling my clubhead through the swing is exactly what I feel I'm missing...especially my longer irons.

If you didn't want to reshaft your irons after a great round I would know it was some spanner and not a true member of Shottalk

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
My set is built to a TLT series 5, and i used Nippons primarlily because they are the same weight for each shaft when cut evenly across the set. I bought the 950s in stiff and soft stepped once into a bladed head. Its an awesome set and back to back with stock S300s they are night and night. Whenever I pick any DG up now I think I am swinging a sledgehammer and lose at least one club. I also used variable swingweighting, approx 3/4 a sw for each iron, starting at C9 with my 4, this approximates a balanced set allowing me to keep a static ball position (centre ish) for all irons

Btw, this feeling the clubheadf thing sounds more likely a swingweight issue, soiunds like your irons may have shafted without the heads weighted properly. Try some lead tape

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
I went for a fitting today and the Nippon Super Peening Oranges were a great fit for me. I've played the 950s before and these are a little heavier and suited me a tad more. Loved them to bits and cannot wait to get them out on the course with my newly ho'd heads attached ofc. But that's another story.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.