• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ft-5 / Diamana BlueBoard

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I know the Ft-5 isn't new by any means, but I haven't seen a review of it with the BlueBoard shaft in it. If its been reviewed before, I apologize.

I bought BigJim's Ft-5, 10.5º, draw biased with the Diamana BlueBoard 63 g4t stiff shaft in it. After playing a range session and a couple of rounds, I can honestly say, I love it. I forget who told me to try the BlueBoard, but thanks for the advice. It plays very much like the Matrix Ozik code 6 in my HiBore XL, but more stable feeling. Occasionally with the Code 6 I'd feel like I was losing the head, but with the BlueBoard, I felt like I knew exactly where it was at all times.

The Cally Ft-5 head has a very solid feel to it, and a nice muted sound. Having gone up a degree in loft to the 10.5º, I'm getting a nice high trajectory that seems to stay in the air forever. But its not too high, and still has roll out when it lands. Its just as long as the HiBore XL Matrix combo, but more predictable. The HiBore was great when my swing was on, but if I was off just a bit, it seemed to punish me a lot more than the Cally does.

I won't say the draw bias cured my over active power fade, but its been more predictable with it. Granted, I'm holding my head up more now, and changed my swing just a bit after my lesson the other day. But I really like this combination.

I didn't measure all my drives today, so I can't give you a exact average, but I'd guess it was 260ish. But the couple of ones I knew I belted out there and did measure were 281 and 288. And that was making a concerted effort to not overswing. Just putting a nice smooth swing on it. I can definitely see this combo belting one out over 300 ever so often if my swing is on and I really went after it.

So thanks BigJim, and if ya'll haven't tried the BlueBoard yet and get a chance, I'd suggest doing so.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
I've always wanted to swing something with a Blueboard in it... just never had the chance. Maybe one of these days!

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
sweet.

I have a Tour Issue Launcher Comp 8.5* with BlueBoard 83-S in it on the way and it seems like i just can't really hear a bad thing about the blueboard.

really excited to get this thing and try her out.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Glad to hear you like the club! That is my all time favorite shaft, its smooth feeling and very stable and can really hold up when you go after one. I guess there is a good reason the shaft is close to $300 retail!

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Ok, I just finished another round with the Ft-5, wow. This is without a doubt the straightest, most consistent combo I've tried. And those of you who have been paying attention know I've tried plenty. ;)

On our course, playing 18 holes, there are only 10 holes you can semi safely pull out the driver. I actually pulled it out 11 times, I tried cutting the corner on a dogleg left and actually succeeded! Out of the 11 times I hit driver, I hit 7 fairways. Of the 4 misses, only 2 were bad off line, the other 2 were near misses. In the 1st cut, one miss was actually a miss left, a new experience for me. One of the misses I faded it too far right and it ended up in the woods, but I had really gone after that one. The 4th miss was simply reaching the water, from the tee box to the edge of the water was 290, whether it flew the water or rolled, who cares, I'll take a drop and penalty stroke when I poke it out there 290 any day. Most of them were a beautiful little Nicklaus power fade, very predictable and controllable.

My average drive today was 260, with that one 290 into the water, and a 281, and a 288 thrown in for good measure. My shortest was that pull left that only traveled 225, so it killed my average. I was out driving everyone in my 4 some today by a good 25 yards.

Sadly my putting let me down, plus a few major brain farts on my irons and I ended up with a 90 and came in 3rd. But I had fun, I was hitting my driver the way I want to, and enjoyed myself!!!!!!!!

But the Ft-5 is firmly in place in the bag now, it ain't going anywhere!

EddieC

Feb 1, 2006
How does that Blueboard compare to the Matrix? I've always wanted to try the Blue as well, but once I found the Ozik I haven't hit anything else. Curious....

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
How does that Blueboard compare to the Matrix? I've always wanted to try the Blue as well, but once I found the Ozik I haven't hit anything else. Curious....

Nothing like the one in your driver. It's way softer.

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007

VT's right. I've also got a Ft-i with the Xcon 6 in it. The BB is a lot closer to the Code 6. Much smoother with a nice kick at release, but I find the BB more stable than the Code. IMHO anyway.

jchase

Sep 23, 2008
Yea i love my FT-5 also! I have heard nothing but good things about the blueboard also! What weight is the shaft? I like a little heavier shaft but i have been hitting my 9.5 ft-5 tour great lately. Nice straight or slight draw and just smokin it like 280 average! Glad you found a good combo!

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Mine is 63 grams I guess. I suppose that is what the 63g4t stands for?

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I find the matrix to be like silk.....so you're saying the blue is even silkier (if that's a word)? How bout stability...?

Its very stable. The Matrix feels good, but the Xcon lacks that kick at the end like the Code and the BB. At least for me, maybe I don't have the SS for the Xcon?

🔥 Latest posts

Members online