• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

FT-5 Draw

rolltherock

Dec 9, 2008
Is anyone familiar with this beast? I have to say I was blown away last night after trying one from a guy who joined us on the back 9. I had a hook face and draw weighting, but I tried it anyway an geez what a shock.

It was 20 yards longer than my old R540 on average. It seems to launch the ball extremely high compared to my TM.....more so than the 1.5* difference the heads say anyway.

Is the FT-5 designed to get the ball up quickly? If it is I think I might need about a 4* head!

I think the accuracy is what is most amazing as I took it to the range after and was lining up balls on the heel and toe and they were amazingly straight and quite long.

How does the FT-5 get the ball up so quickly....is it creating more spin? I have to admit that I have been an 'indian not the arrow' kind of guy all my career. That is why I have a 7 year old driver.....it works. But now I'm thinking I may have been screwing myself!

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Mine also doubles as a rocket launcher and gets drafted any time there is a war ;)

OP
R

rolltherock

Dec 9, 2008
Mine also doubles as a rocket launcher and gets drafted any time there is a war ;)

I was shocked the hook face and draw weighting didn't cause me to snap it into the trees left, but hey I won't argue with results. It will take some getting used to looking at, but wow.

I think my ball flight issues will probably be best served with a shaft change, but was just amazed at the difference between the launch of my 8.5 R540 and this 10 FT-5.

Does you ball just drop out of the sky or does it get some roll?

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
I get a bit of roll but not much. Me being a high ball hitter and the fact that it's been wet since I've had it really doesn't bode well for a lot of roll. The head + the VS Proto makes for a very nice looking ball flight though! I hit this quite a bit lower then the Tour Burner I had last year.

EddieC

Feb 1, 2006
I had sort of the same experience, I fight a hook, but ended up with a regular (not tour) so sort of hook faced FT-5 in neutral. Mines a 10 or a 10.5 which ever that version comes in with a Matrix Ozik x-con shaft.....I'm not sure if it's the shaft or the head, but I love the darn thing. My ball flight is adjusted with tee height, but I'd say "normally" the flights a little high with little roll, usually stops within 10 yards of landing spot. I'd give it two thumbs up if asked. Callaway preowned has a great selection just incase your buying.

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
I also gained immediate height on my ballflight when I switched from my Titleist D2 to the FT-5. This was good for me as I hit the ball fairly low. I added a heavier shaft (Ozik X-Con 6) and it brought the flight down. Its the omly driver that could switch me from having played a fairly long line of Titleists.

OP
R

rolltherock

Dec 9, 2008
I also gained immediate height on my ballflight when I switched from my Titleist D2 to the FT-5. This was good for me as I hit the ball fairly low. I added a heavier shaft (Ozik X-Con 6) and it brought the flight down. Its the omly driver that could switch me from having played a fairly long line of Titleists.

I cannot believe I am putting an anti-slice, hook face driver in my bag, but I'm doing it. I tried the Tour version which was nicer b/c I didn't have to put a forward press in my setup to get rid of the closed face effect, but it isn't worth the extra money to me.

I bought the 10 degree FT-5 in a draw config and am having a different kick point Fuji put in this week to see if we can get the flight down, but man is this thing forgiving. So long R540.....it's been a nice ride:(

🔥 Latest posts