• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

FT-5, Ft-I, and Burner Tour on Monitor

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
The state of North Dakota just got its first real launch monitor with a simulated range on the screen and everything. It is only 200 miles away so when I happened to be in the area I couldn't resist stopping by to use it. My friend and I decided to demo the an FT-5 Draw (10* Fit-On R flex), FT-i Draw (10* Fit-On R flex), FT-i Neutral (9.5* Fit-On S flex), and a TM Burner Tour (9.5* Speeder S flex). I swing in the high 90s and he swings low 100s. I hit low straight balls that have some roll, he hits high balls with about 3 yards of roll so I think we covered most people in between.

Generalities: The Draw version of the FT-5 and FT-i are way too much draw for any normal or average swing. Neither one of us could get the ball to fade without considerable effort. The FT-5 looks great at address - better than any other we saw. The abnormal looks of the FT-i completely disappear once you start swinging - its just another driver on a stick. The Burner made me feel confident at address.

Distance: Burner won this pretty easily. The numbers don't lie and it was hot. It produced the longest balls for both of us by about 8 yards on average. The FT-5 was probably next - however it was an R flex draw and had a hard time keeping them straight. The FT-i was very, very close to the FT-5.

Accuracy: Nothing I've ever hit compares to the accuracy of the FT-i. We just kept nailing that club and never cleared our shots off the screen. Even with two different people hitting on the same screen it was an extremely tight dispersion pattern. The Burner may have been long but after hitting the FT-i it seemed a little wild. We figured about 3/10 shots were those sweet straight long shots with the Burner. The FT-5 sat in between the two.

Conclusion: I purchased the FT-5 Neutral. I liked the workability over the Ft-i and the accuracy over the Burner. I just love the clean look and preferred the sound even. I've got to say though, the FT-i is one heck of a driver. My foolish opinions about square drivers are belly up and floating at the top of the fish tank. I was impressed. Also, as LyleG stated, the Burner Tour is long. No denying it.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Good stuff B. You took the bull by the horns and came out with a winner.

Not that I'm biased or anything. :D

R35

FATC1TY

Taylormade Ho' Magnet
May 29, 2008
I can't get past the "dull" feeling of the FT-i.

I really wanted to like it when I demo'd it.

I still even today go in the store, have them put me one with the Diamana WB S flex in it, and I go wail on it.

I cringe when I hear the sound. I can't stand it.

Good pick with the Ft-5. Best looking one of the bunch, and doesn't sound like it's full of sand.

OP
bames

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
Good stuff B. You took the bull by the horns and came out with a winner.

Not that I'm biased or anything. :D

R35

I'm excited to start a shootout with m 907 D2. I've been longing for the FT-5 for some time and had my nose turned up at the FT-i. No longer my friend - it was jus super easy to hit. Who knows I may go after one one of these days.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I'm excited to start a shootout with m 907 D2. I've been longing for the FT-5 for some time and had my nose turned up at the FT-i. No longer my friend - it was jus super easy to hit. Who knows I may go after one one of these days.

I'll have to make a road trip next year and bring my FT-5. Or maybe my FT-9!:thumbs up:

R35

OP
bames

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
I'll have to make a road trip next year and bring my FT-5. Or maybe my FT-9!:thumbs up:

R35

Looking forward to it. My treat (we do all of the pump work for Hawktree so in addition to payment we take passes). Still could be the funnest course I've ever played.

OP
bames

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
Where did you find the monitor at?

Austad's in Fargo. Right off the Interstate. Very nice place, it would be worth the drive over.

OP
bames

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
You didn't try a G10? :)

I probably would have - but I feel bad swinging brand new clubs that I know I won't buy so I told him I was fine just hitting any beat up demos he had. Thats part of the reason we hit so many draw biased clubs too.

OP
bames

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
A lot of folks feel that way about Pings:biglol:

Had no intentions of it coming out that way but now that you mention it that is pretty stinking funny isn't it!

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.