• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

FT-I on the way.

SplooGe

Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2007
I really liked the HC as well, hope this works out for you.

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
I really liked the HC as well, hope this works out for you.

Freakin crummy cold weather, 1 new driver, 2 newly cut down drivers, new set of irons & can't swing any of them until I get to the heated range which is 30+ miles from me.

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Had to go into Madison for the ski show at UW, afterwards I hit the range & brought all 3 drivers.

The FT-i feels damn good, swings nicely & every single shot was damn straight down the middle. Sound isn't bad compared to the Square Sumo or the Nickent. Distance is hard to evaluate due to the cold weather & I really couldn't see where any balls landed due to being snow blinded at about the 175 mark.

Only thing I am not crazy about is I was ballooning the shots pretty good. They would start out ok but the further out they got, the higher they would go & then it seems like just past the 200 mark the balls would just drop straight down.

Further testing in warm climates is obviously needed but so far I am happy with the club. Looks like a winner.

LottaBalata

Jun 30, 2005
Had to go into Madison for the ski show at UW, afterwards I hit the range & brought all 3 drivers.

The FT-i feels damn good, swings nicely & every single shot was damn straight down the middle. Sound isn't bad compared to the Square Sumo or the Nickent. Distance is hard to evaluate due to the cold weather & I really couldn't see where any balls landed due to being snow blinded at about the 175 mark.

Only thing I am not crazy about is I was ballooning the shots pretty good. They would start out ok but the further out they got, the higher they would go & then it seems like just past the 200 mark the balls would just drop straight down.

Further testing in warm climates is obviously needed but so far I am happy with the club. Looks like a winner.

I'm wondering if the "balooning" might be the range balls. I basically had the same problem at the range last week. The balls looks like ducks shot down out of the air--they would just drop dead. Glad you got to hit the new Cally. Looking to go tomorrow if its not toooo awful cold.

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I'm wondering if the "balooning" might be the range balls. I basically had the same problem at the range last week. The balls looks like ducks shot down out of the air--they would just drop dead.

Possibly, & yes that's exactly what the shots acted like, ducks dropping dead.

Don't you have any heated ranges in the area? The one I go to has 80,000 btu heaters above every station. Stand too close & you might get a fast tan. 20º today & I was wearing a long sleeved shirt.

PureStroke

Oct 10, 2008
11 degrees of loft is quite a bit. I would just hit high ballooned drives with such a loft. Shoot I cant even use a 9.5.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
11 degrees of loft is quite a bit. I would just hit high ballooned drives with such a loft. Shoot I cant even use a 9.5.

Which means absolutely nothing. Your swing has no implications on what another player might need in terms of maximizing carry and roll.

Your 8.5* would be a disaster for 95% of guys out there. So spouting off like this is pretty damn inaccurate.

R35

LottaBalata

Jun 30, 2005
Possibly, & yes that's exactly what the shots acted like, ducks dropping dead.

Don't you have any heated ranges in the area? The one I go to has 80,000 btu heaters above every station. Stand too close & you might get a fast tan. 20º today & I was wearing a long sleeved shirt.

Yeah, the ONE range I can go to this time of year has 4 bays that are heated. Its really the wind though. It was whipping. . .I'll be going on Sunday for sure. Just to get a feel for the new driver.

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Yeah, the ONE range I can go to this time of year has 4 bays that are heated. Its really the wind though. It was whipping. . .I'll be going on Sunday for sure. Just to get a feel for the new driver.

Let us know how it works out.

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Which means absolutely nothing. Your swing has no implications on what another player might need in terms of maximizing carry and roll.

Your 8.5* would be a disaster for 95% of guys out there. So spouting off like this is pretty damn inaccurate.

R35

Well that kinda sucks, have had him on my ignore list for sometime now & yet when you quoted him I can read his remarks. Wonder if there is a fix for that?

LBlack14

Enjoy Life!
Supporting Member
May 5, 2008
Ohio
Country
Rock, I just picked up a 9.5* FT-i Tour LCG with the Matrix Ozik X-Con 6, any experience with them?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Rock, I just picked up a 9.5* FT-i Tour LCG with the Matrix Ozik X-Con 6, any experience with them?

Yep, a guy I play with has one. I put a 1.5" extension in his (he's 6'1") and he absolutely nuts it. One of the longest drivers I have seen with my own eyes. The XCON 6 in that head is high launch, low spin and bombs. It's an aquired taste, but once you dial it in, you can spank the ball with that combo. I found it to be a bit high launch for me, but I'm a high spin guy and have no trouble maintaining high launch with just about any head.

IMO, the biggest downfall of the FT-i was the shaft that they put in it stock. While it might have been targeted at a wider audience, it was a POS in my opinion.

If you like stouter feeling shafts and can load that sort of characteristic shafts, you'll like this combo. If you don't like the sound, throw some lead tape on the back on the carbon area. Makes a huge difference.

R35

Members online

No members online now.