• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Full Set

GunnerMan

Jun 7, 2005
Ok I want to get my dad some new clubs soon! I have tried to get im to go in and ge fitted but he will not go, says its to much money etc etc. Anyways we have a friend that builds clubs but he only does it when he feels like it so we cant get him to do clubs for him. He is playing with 60's era clubs, Wilson K-38s. Wood drives. We will get him some good drivers but he needs new irons bad, his game imh is suffering from these clubs. His bag also looks like he found it in a dump...so I want to get him a decent set of irons, cheap ones as he will be mad and wont get fitted for pings or callaways. Would hybrids be better for him? He has quite a slow swing.

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
GunnerMan said:
Ok I want to get my dad some new clubs soon! I have tried to get im to go in and ge fitted but he will not go, says its to much money etc etc. Anyways we have a friend that builds clubs but he only does it when he feels like it so we cant get him to do clubs for him. He is playing with 60's era clubs, Wilson K-38s. Wood drives. We will get him some good drivers but he needs new irons bad, his game imh is suffering from these clubs. His bag also looks like he found it in a dump...so I want to get him a decent set of irons, cheap ones as he will be mad and wont get fitted for pings or callaways. Would hybrids be better for him? He has quite a slow swing.

How about giving him tokens for a golf shop - then he has to spend them there?

Or give him lessons with a pro for a present, then have a chat with the pro afterwards?

How old is he..?

P_102

Jun 7, 2005
Not a good idea to select clubs for someone, although the thought is really nice...
There's probably 3 reasons why your father could still be playing those clubs..1) He likes them, 2) It's not important to him, 3) He doesn't want to spend the money ("can't afford" is not an option for an avid golfer, especially over so many years).
My suggestion would be to price some nice used or "knockoff" clubs at a place where there is a good selection and then give him a gift certificate to cover that amount. If he chooses to spend it on balls, shirts, etc., that's up to him.

P_102

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
Buy a gift certificate at a golf shop. He will either buy new irons or get something else he wants.

OP
G

GunnerMan

Jun 7, 2005
Thanks, good point buying someone elses clubs is prolly a bad idea. He dosent like those clubs he used a set of someone elses and he said they felt much better and he was hitting better. Anyways we will get him a cirtificate and tell him to get some irons.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.