• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Fund drive.....

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
It's time to move to a better server.

Shot Talk is currently hosted on a shared server. There are 123 other websites on the server and we are all sharing resources which can slow things down a bit.

I am anticipating continued growth and want to be in a position to handle it without any problems.

The new server is a virtual private server.

virtual private servers are a perfect solution for popular sites, a large company, an online mall, or reseller/presence providers. VPSs are based on the concept of partitions on mainframes that allow dozens of divisions to run multiple applications on the same server with advanced resource scheduling. VPSs advance the concepts of the mainframe with dynamic fair-sharing of system resources on commodity operating systems and hardware. VPSs behave exactly like an isolated stand-alone server. VPS server itself, will run on atleast DUAL XEON 3.06 GHZ 533FSB HT (4CPU), DUAL CORE AMD OPTERON 265, Dual LowVoltage XEON 2.00Ghz, 8GB-16GB RAM, (6) 73GB SCSI 10K RPM Ultra 320 Hot-Swap Drives in a RAID5 format. Daily tape backup is running on VPS servers.

This is one step below a dedicated server with essentially the same functionality at 1/2 the cost.

I will be able to administer the server which is something I cannot do now.

The cost is $399 per year. I have $100 in the account so I need to raise an additional $300. That's 8 premium memberships.

Or 30 $10 donations.

ok....that button is not working.
donations can be pay paled to [email protected]

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
I wish i had a few bucks to help out Sling, if i can scrounge anything up ill sender your way.

Would my typing in the response box being kinda slow/skipping some of the lettres I type be from all the ppl on the servers? Cuz i dont have any problems with it on any other sites, just when I type in responses in the quick response box here.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
One down! 7 to go!

The last time Sling did something like this, I gave away a putter (Odyssey Two Ball). Maybe I'll do something insane again.

I'll keep you posted as I lose my mind. :D

R35

eli_yates

looking to be scratch
Nov 19, 2007
ive been meaning to anyway. so this was just a convenient way of doing it and acting like i was saving the world... i like to call it self validation.

Staff online

Members online