• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Funerals funerals

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Last Thursday, an old friend of mine lost his dad. We havent kept in touch in a while but I came to the visitation on Friday afternoon....

There was an open casket and his was draped with the American Flag. I never knew his dad served...and really knew so little about his life until the funeral which was held today.

Sidenote: My little Autistic one reads the obituarires and asks about where dead people have gone...we always answer..."to heaven". She's never been to any sort of funeral.

So this morning (Saturday) I wake up thinking about going to the service. Since the casket was open yesterday at the visitation, I know it will be open again today at the service.

I decide to take my 10 yo Autistic daughter to the service.

We arrive early and go to the front. The coffin is there, draped with the American flag and open. I take her up to see my friend's father. It really moves here to see him there. She asks where he is and I tell her that "he will go to heaven right after we are done here today".

We go to the back of the funeral home and many friends are waiting. The service is held with my old buddy delivering a beatiful 10 minute eulogy about his father...his service in WWII. Receiving the Legion of Merit. And his business career. (Then, they leave for the burial service with full military honors at the cemetary.) As a kid running around their house, I never knew any of this. We were teenagers running in a crazy pack, driving Triumph Sprites and MG Midgets....

So wee one and I come home. She has been an angel through it all.. Very well behaved during it all.

I figure it's time to start reading the Obits. I pick them up and find that another friend's mother died YESTERDAY. I ring him up and ask about her service. He is Jewish and there is no service at the Temple, only one at the same cemetary tomorrow at 11:00....

No golf this weekend. Only Funerals for a Friend....

Never, ever forget your friends in their time of need. They NEED you....

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
This obit is published with great pride...I was just a boy...running about with my friends. And all of the time, he never said a word about his Service...or accomplishments...

al.com

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
The Legion Of Merit? I thought you said medal of honor.
Nevertheless, another veteran has gone home.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
The Legion Of Merit? I thought you said medal of honor.
Nevertheless, another veteran has gone home.

I goofed.

My friend at the service said that his dad told him he got the highest honor you can receive wthout being shot,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:laugh:

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
sorry to hear about your friends parents.there arent alot of those WWII vets around anymore.my grandfather was in WWII,he died 4 1/2 yrs ago and he also never spoke about being in the war.i was in my teens before i knewand i lived within 30 yds of him my whole life i found out when i found 1 of his purple hearts in the gun cabinet.

OP
Bravo

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I just got back from the Jewish funeral. The Rabbi was great...I've heard him speak several times. He really had everybody cracking up with the jokes about my friend's mom...

Hot...we were sweating. Graveside service at 11:00 am. I was drenched when it was all over.

chollyred

Mar 9, 2006
Bravo,

Sorry for the loss of your friends parents. I'm glad you re-connected with these old friends in during their loss.

About a year ago an old friend lost his Dad. Like you, we had lost touch over the years, but since I had spent so much time at his house (and him at ours) growing up, I couldn't "not go" to the funeral. When I walked into the funeral home, Bob grabbed me in a bear hug like we'd never missed a day. Just goes to show that true friendship never dies.

Members online

No members online now.