• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

G2 vs G5 Drivers

Glenn70

Aug 15, 2005
I just came back from playing in Naples, FL ( La Playa Country Club ) beautiful and difficult, slope 130. I didn't bring my sticks, so I rented. They had a complete set of Ping G2.

Anyway, I was hitting a lot of great long shots with the G2 Driver, 10*. ( few drives 290+, and straight ).

My question is, what is the difference between the G2 and the G5 drivers? I'm so impressed with the G2, I'm thinking of dumping my R7 for a G2 or G5. I already know how the G2 feels and plays, I wanted to know what the difference is with the G5.

Does anyone have any personal experience with either/both of these clubs? Does anyone know the specific differences?

Any help is appreciated.

Patlawman

Apr 7, 2005
I've been playing a G2 since they hit the market. I demo'ed a G5 driver 2 weeks ago at Ping Demo Day and did not notice any difference between the clubs. According to Ping, the G5 "features new internal weighting distribution that repositions the center of gravity for lower spin rates and greater distance. Eight grams of weight was moved from the crown and face to the sole to achieve the lower CG location." That may be so but I didn't notice it in the feel of the club nor in my drives.

As such, there wasn't enough "change" to convince me to ditch the G2 for the G5.

:smilie_pi

trob

Apr 2, 2006
exactly what i read. They felt the g5 was a great club but they also felt it was the g2 with a new number on it. lol

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
... and an extra flash of blue on the bottom. Certainly nothing that would make me trade in my G2 which took me 13 Months to finally hit as well as my old TM Firesole. This last weekend marked the turning point where I finally hit it consistantly the same or better than the Firesole. Hopefully it is a sign of things to come. I credit the Jayhawk headcover that I currently use and purchased this year, and should it go back to the ways of old, I will be giving the headcover a mohawk.

pball5156

Mar 21, 2005
i bought my g5 a little over a month ago, still trying to learn how to hit it, big difference from a 983k to a G5.

🔥 Latest posts