• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

game improvement/ forged mb irons...

eli_yates

looking to be scratch
Nov 19, 2007
well lets see here... right now i have mizuno mp 14 and wilson pi5 irons... im good with them but i know if i got the new wilson ci7s id be able to hit them a little further with probably the same amount of control... i mean pga players are doing it more now than ever... so im wondering do you guys think it would be worth giving it a shot? i mean i like the look of the blade irons and honestly ive seen the ci7s and they have a blade like appearance from the topline being so thin and what not... id even go for the burner or nike ignite irons honestly... would that be a mistake or would some consider it a smart move?

Topflite_D2

Titleist Pro V1
Jun 26, 2007
well lets see here... right now i have mizuno mp 14 and wilson pi5 irons... im good with them but i know if i got the new wilson ci7s id be able to hit them a little further with probably the same amount of control... i mean pga players are doing it more now than ever... so im wondering do you guys think it would be worth giving it a shot? i mean i like the look of the blade irons and honestly ive seen the ci7s and they have a blade like appearance from the topline being so thin and what not... id even go for the burner or nike ignite irons honestly... would that be a mistake or would some consider it a smart move?

Hello, I too like the look of blade/muscle back irons. But as for getting cavity backs it would be up to you and how much money you would want/ have to spend. But if I was you I would go into a golf shop and maybe hit a few and see if you like the feel of them. Also some shops have a monitor to show you how far you hit. The Nevada Bob's store where I live would let you bring in your current clubs and hit them and then you could pick out a club you might be interested in and hit it and see if you can hit it farther.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Pretty much every mfr makes a players CB, forged or not. I play a forged set, but I personally don't think there's a huge difference in feel.

Titleist 695CB are nice, so are the 735CM. Stricker plays the very forgiving 755s
Mizuno MP32, MP60, (MP57 might be stretching it if you are a playa)
TM R7 TP
Adams Idea Pro
Cally X Forged
Bridgestone J33 CB

plus lots more.

Pick one that looks good to you and demo

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
When you're comparing irons, just make sure your comparing apples to apples. Just because one 7 iron hits it longer than another 7 iron, it does not mean the clubs are truly longer. Find out the loft angles and see if it is the club or a few degrees less loft giving you that extra distance.

IMHO, I am not looking for a set of irons to gain distance. I am looking for consistency and proper distance gaps. Cavity backs, in general, are designed more for forgiveness and to improve ball flight for non-center faced contact, not necessarily distance. Unless you are having issues getting the ball elevated and you get into a heavy soled CB, cavity backs are not going to increase your irons distance for solid center faced contact.

The sad fact of modern equipment is that in order to sell more clubs, manufacturers have been gradually decreased the loft on irons so they can market them as "5 yards longer than the competition." This is why we now have gap wedges and longer irons are slowly getting phased out of the game. Pitching wedges have gone from 50* of loft down to as low as 44* in order to sell the next "longest iron".

So, go ahead and try out some new irons and by all means buy a set if it sings to you. Just be sure your comparing apples to apples if your going to buy them purely on distance gains over your old set.

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
When you're comparing irons, just make sure your comparing apples to apples. Just because one 7 iron hits it longer than another 7 iron, it does not mean the clubs are truly longer. Find out the loft angles and see if it is the club or a few degrees less loft giving you that extra distance.

IMHO, I am not looking for a set of irons to gain distance. I am looking for consistency and proper distance gaps. Cavity backs, in general, are designed more for forgiveness and to improve ball flight for non-center faced contact, not necessarily distance. Unless you are having issues getting the ball elevated and you get into a heavy soled CB, cavity backs are not going to increase your irons distance for solid center faced contact.

The sad fact of modern equipment is that in order to sell more clubs, manufacturers have been gradually decreased the loft on irons so they can market them as "5 yards longer than the competition." This is why we now have gap wedges and longer irons are slowly getting phased out of the game. Pitching wedges have gone from 50* of loft down to as low as 44* in order to sell the next "longest iron".

So, go ahead and try out some new irons and by all means buy a set if it sings to you. Just be sure your comparing apples to apples if your going to buy them purely on distance gains over your old set.

yeah.. what he said...:)

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005

I think there's a little more to it than that. The current game improvement irons that are designed to get the ball up do just that. A 45 degree PW with heavy sole will get you the same ball flight as an old 50* PW. You need the lower lofts to avoid getting the ball too high & losing distance. IMHO.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I think there's a little more to it than that. The current game improvement irons that are designed to get the ball up do just that. A 45 degree PW with heavy sole will get you the same ball flight as an old 50* PW. You need the lower lofts to avoid getting the ball too high & losing distance. IMHO.
+1 on that. Couldn't have said it better myself.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States

Too many Miller Lites last night?:laugh:

I have a few 48* clubs in blade, CB, and extreme CB variations and hit them all about the same distance with good contact. If your not haveing elevation issues, you should not be going into the extreme heavy soled CB's.

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
i haven't tried heavily soled CB's, but the ones i've played, my blades and CB perform about the same. mis hits are better on cb, but not by much. i prefer the looks of blades, so i hit them. it's about preference as well.

i'll be the one to say though, that inability to get the ball up in the air ISN'T a personal problem, just get lady flex shaft and be done w/ it. :D

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005

Heavy sole..Do you mean the wide sole like TM RACs?

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I have the HiBore hybrid irons, you can't get much more wide soled than them or game improvement. But....., I love them when we have had enough rain and the ground isn't like concrete. But when we go for several days with no rain, the wide sole is next to impossible to keep from bouncing leading to a lot of thin hits and more than a few curse words. I've been seriously thinking of switching over to a set of more traditional irons, just haven't found the right deal. I love the look or the J33's and Ben Hogan Apex but I'm not sure my game is far enough along to hit them properly.

OP
E

eli_yates

looking to be scratch
Nov 19, 2007
quick update:

i went to the golf store and hit some game improvement irons such as:

the Nike Ignite irons. i absolutely smashed those clubs... felt very very good.

the adams a3 irons. i only hit the 7 iron but i hit that one very well.

the new nike slingshots... those were the best but the bottom is so big its discouraging.

callaway x 20. not my favorite... but i hit them well i felt like there was more offset than the others.

nike cci cast. hit very well and pretty close to looking like a players iron... but not too close lol...

but above all i notice that the only difference from these and my mizunos and wilson pi5s is that i hit the game improvement irons like 10 to 20 yards further per club. but i suppose that would be one of the obvious things... regardless... i am going to buy myself a set of nike ignite irons in stiff flex steel shafts. so if anyone knows of anyone wanting to sell some used ones in stiff flex steel i am very interested.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Reasons to choose cavity over blades backs

You need the foregiveness off centre, ie you hit the centre of the face less than 5 from 10

You need the offset to help square the face and give more height

You need the wider sole, narrow soles need a very consistent strike

Reason for blades?

You like the look of them and the lack of offset, thats it. Both clubs can be shaped, and you may prefer the lower flight of the blades, having a slightly higher cog, but really thats the preserve of very powerful and skillful golfers. If handicap golfer tells you they hit cavity backs to high it probably means the shafts are poorly suited to them.

Also, why stiff flex? What club do you use for 150, consistently? no fibbing, and range rat-itetess.

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
quick update:

but above all i notice that the only difference from these and my mizunos and wilson pi5s is that i hit the game improvement irons like 10 to 20 yards further per club. but i suppose that would be one of the obvious things... regardless... i am going to buy myself a set of nike ignite irons in stiff flex steel shafts. so if anyone knows of anyone wanting to sell some used ones in stiff flex steel i am very interested.

Most likely you hit them a club longer because they are stronger lofted (i.e. 7 iron has loft of a 6). Length should never be the reason to change irons IMO because the only reason they have numbers in the first place is so that you can tell them apart. If you like the forgiveness or the ball flight characteristics of them better, then you should consider a change.

FKA19

winter ho'in
May 21, 2006
quick update:

i went to the golf store and hit some game improvement irons such as:

the Nike Ignite irons. i absolutely smashed those clubs... felt very very good.

the adams a3 irons. i only hit the 7 iron but i hit that one very well.

the new nike slingshots... those were the best but the bottom is so big its discouraging.

callaway x 20. not my favorite... but i hit them well i felt like there was more offset than the others.

nike cci cast. hit very well and pretty close to looking like a players iron... but not too close lol...

Did you get your distances from a true launch monitor (ie. Vector) or a simulator? If it was a sim, that could easily be the reason for the extra 10-20 yards.

Members online

No members online now.