• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Game is evolving at geometric rate.

shanker

Feb 11, 2008
Played twice last weekend and only had two bad drives which resulted in lost balls in the woods. Had a handful well over 300 yds.
New routine is paying big dividends:

My lunch routine of:
Mon - workout(strength training)
Tue - golf range (long irons)
Wed - workout (golf fitness)
Thur - golf range (chipping, pitching & putting)
Fri - workout (cardio/endurance/stretching)
Sat - play 18 holes
Sun - play 18 holes / golf range to work on problem areas.

My biggest game improvement is hitting the greens from 150 yds in.
Usually with my 6-7 iron. I'm getting the ball sky high and it is leaving a huge divot in the green when it hits. :)

Oh yeah. I forgot to mention. I started hitting these Adams hybrids 2-3. I couldnt hit them at first to save my life but now it is almost like cheating they are so easy to hit. If your not hitting a hybrid, get one this weekend.
175-200 yds has never been easier. The only problem with hybrids is when you miss, your ball turns into a missle and is long gone into the woods or water.

PingZing2

Can you HACK it?
Jun 6, 2005
I am guessing your swing speed is over 105. You must be hitting it high bringing a 6 iron in at 150.

With that routine I am going to take a wild guess that you aren't married or at least have any kids.

OP
S

shanker

Feb 11, 2008
Im married with no kids but my wife stays on my back so I practice ;)
I cant keep up this pace. Vacation/work are creeping up on me.
It was something I felt I had to do in order to get better. I was tired of being the squeaky wheel whenever I played golf with people.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
150 yard 7 iron, and 300 yard drives? Are you sure?

I recommend you get an actual measuring device. There are plenty of times the card says 520, or the marker on the tee says 520 even, and you can hit to the 200 marker with a 250 yard shot.

If you're hitting a 150 yard 7 iron, you're probably driving the ball 255. If you're really hitting the ball high, I mean SKY high, you may want to look into some more stout shafts to lower your ballflight. Because if you're actually hitting it 300 yards, you should be hitting your 7 iron over 170 yards, I would think.

LBlack14

Enjoy Life!
Supporting Member
May 5, 2008
Ohio
Country
United States United States

I recommend you get an actual measuring device. There are plenty of times the card says 520, or the marker on the tee says 520 even, and you can hit to the 200 marker with a 250 yard shot.

If you're hitting a 150 yard 7 iron, you're probably driving the ball 255. If you're really hitting the ball high, I mean SKY high, you may want to look into some more stout shafts to lower your ballflight. Because if you're actually hitting it 300 yards, you should be hitting your 7 iron over 170 yards, I would think.

+1.............

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
hats off to your improvement.

pretty sure its 'exponential rate'

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States

If you're hitting a 150 yard 7 iron, you're probably driving the ball 255.

+2. My 7 iron is my 150 yd club & no way does the driver reach anywhere near a 300 yd drives zipcode.

halifax_golfer

Jun 26, 2006
agreed, 300yrd drives and 150yrd 7ir does not work out (unless your drives are downwind and your 7irs are into like 30km/hr winds. However, congrats on your dramatic improvement and the hard work it took!. Keep up the good work!.

Fr. Chris.

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
hats off to your improvement.

pretty sure its 'exponential rate'

Mine changes at a geometric rate. It's a circle. Up and forward, then down and forward, then down farther than where I started and backward, then back up and back to the starting point, repeat ad naseum.

OP
S

shanker

Feb 11, 2008
I play a higher club on my approach shots to get the loft. My mentor I play with has taught me to do this by design. I would hit an 8 iron if I thought I could get it to the green while keeping the same ball placement and loft. This probably doesnt work for everyone but it is what evolved for me after hours of frustration on the driving range. I only swing 70-75% on irons. My main goal is making SOLID contact everytime. My days of scalping, skulling, thinning & hitting fat are becoming fewer. Less is better ;)

My driver is another matter. I hit a custom Adams 9.5 BUL.
It has a medium trajectory that appears to continue to rise. One of the biggest mental breakthroughs I have had with driving is actually teeing the ball lower. This actually helped level out my aggressive over the top swing. He has changed a lot of things with my swing like shortening my backswing and actually opening up my stance. My grip has become weaker also. The biggest thing is feeling comfortable with my pre-shot routine and when your comfortable, you can mash baby mash!!

OP
S

shanker

Feb 11, 2008
its not like every drive is 300 yds. I have actually learned to hit the 3 wood on lots of these holes now just to hit more fairways on shorter par 4s.
i'm fighting that constant battle of wanting to hit the long ball. sometimes that long ball is long lost in the woods. :)

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.