• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Game's in the Crapper

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
The title ought to explain it. I've hit a lot of really nice shots, but a lot of crap.

At the end of August I posted 5 consecutive rounds between 87 and 92. My last 3 rounds were 104, 108, 106. I know about a couple of issues.

Distances on my short irons have increased but have become inconsistant & I'm trying to dial 'em in again. I'm not really sure which club to hit now. On one hole I was about 120 out & hit smooth 9 iron because I thought PW wouldn't get me there. I sailed the green big time.

By the time I got to 13, I had zero confidence in my fairway woods & long irons. I've been swinging too hard outside 200 & getting poor contact with a lot of mishits. That's a mental thing, I look at some shots & know that I can hit them, but can't seem to control myself. tempo.

My game has been inconsistant as hell.
1 - horrible slice into trees, then brillant punch to 70 yards,
3 - 240 in the fairway. 5I too far, hit a tree & kicked into forest, 2 shots to get out, 7i pin high left, chip on & 30 ft lag to 3 inches - ocho.
4 - (tight hole) Hybrid 210 nice draw- 6i missed right (trees) - punch onto green & 2 putts.
5 - 225 carry w/slight fade then ran right into trees (mighta hit something, didn't feel open) .
6 - Banana Ball into water - Drop then fat FW - routine snowman.
7 - 220 right down the middle. Nice straight 6i carried to just in front of the green, where it must've hit a sprinkler & kicked due left (that one wasn't me, just "rub o' the green" stuff but it still cost me a birdie opportunity.)
8 - par 3 140 - 7i sailed the green big time, carried 160.
9 - Slice, hit a 2nd & did it again. More trees - great! lost 2 balls. made 20 ft putt.
10 - top drive 50 yds. Fat 4i. Great 5i to be on in three & 2 putts.
11 - Par 3 150 to center, pins way in the back plays 160. 7i carried about 135 missed green short. (remember #8) one putt from 20 ft. My only par.
12 - Got under the drive, 100 up-100 out-100 down. Hooked FW into water (where the hell did a hook come from???). really pretty 80 yd. wedge but 2 putts from 8 ft.
13 - Par 5 (this hole's a bitch) Sky ball from the tee - fat fairway (about 10 yds, really ugly) - best 4i ever. 9i from 120 sailed the green probably carried 145 yds. Pretty flop shot back over some shit to get on.

and so on, and so on and so on.

I know I'm not gonna play scratch golf, but bogey would be nice. It seems like everytime I swing a club it's a crap-shoot. Last winter I hit the ball worse than now but got better scores (around 100). When it's good it's very good, but when it's bad....

Please, someone who's been there. Is this sorta inconsistant stuff just a normal progression for a fat old man who's been playing 3 years? Do I need time in grade or are more lessons called for?

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
If you want a consistent swing, make sure you complete your backswing before starting the downswing. A quicker tempo throws everything out.
Sequence and timing is the key.
You may not have not the most beautiful swing, but if you get everything in sequence, you'll be pretty consistent.

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
wire, I'm a fat young man who's been playing for 3 years also, and probably in a similar position, although I haven't played in a couple of weeks, so it's hard to tell. I went through that this summer though and it was hell.

I think I went low 90s, 88, 110, 86, 105, 85, 102, etc...my last few rounds were 105, 110, 93, 88....oh right, I played a week ago on a 9 hole executive and shot 47! WHAT? My brother who doesn't play and had about 7 mulligans beat me by 1! How?

It'll come...more practice to get consistent swing mechanics and contact will fix things up, I'm sure of it.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Brother, I feel your pain. I've haven't bothered to play a round of golf in 2 weeks, simply because I'm hitting the ball so badly.

I see your driver is the C-S3 in 9.5; I have the same driver in 10.5, and I can't hit it well at all. One out of 10 acceptable shots at the range, and thats 220 at best.

I'm 53, and only been playing 4 months, but I was kinda embarassed today because the guy next to me was in his 60s and he was outdriving me by 50 yards. :(

I hit my hybrid 3 & 4 irons the best, much more consistent than my woods, so I just bought hybrid 2 & 5 irons on eBay; the hybrid 1 may be next. :D
I'm gonna get a decent game one way or another.

OP
wirehair

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
I think it's the inconsistency thats killing me. I spent the summer working on turning to generate clubhead speed, it was working. Thats the distance problem, I've started hitting short irons farther than I expect, longer clubs haven't come around, I'm missing the ball.

Oh well, there's always beer to make it all better.:)

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast

Deep in thought
Sep 6, 2005
Just try to relax, maybe? Spend some time at the range, and work with those short irons so you can hit them a consistent distance.

I struggled this weekend, but at the same time, I am getting consistently better with the short irons, and their distances. Still giving away too many silly shots, but I'm growing more and more confident that I can swing the pitching wedge that hard and have it go that distance. I had 6 good short irons yesterday that required me to repair ball marks on the green. I need more of those still, but I'm glad that the practice and time is beginning to pay off.

🔥 Latest posts