• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Gap/Utility/Lob wedge distances

CKGuY914 said:
I think what you meant is trying to trap the ball more, delofting your club face through impact.

Probably so. When you talk about trapping the ball, is this cause by striking down on the ball, trapping it against the ground? I think by not trapping the ball, you end up whipping the club through, starting the ball on a higher plane.

well you can still try to hit down at a steeper angle and have an open club face

what i meant is that it would feel something like forward pressing the club face through the impact, therefore delofting the club

um

this might be a stupid question (or it might not)

but why would you deloft the club and effectively reduce or eliminate the reason for having the higher lofted club in the bag in the first place?

Silver said:
um

this might be a stupid question (or it might not)

but why would you deloft the club and effectively reduce or eliminate the reason for having the higher lofted club in the bag in the first place?

it's not actually doing it, just feeling for it

when i took lessons weekly i was fixing swings by trying to feel the exact opposite of what my mistake was

like when I first started taking lessons I had an outside-in swing path; my teacher took two balls, put one at 4 o'clock relative to me and another at 10 o'clock and told me to try to drop the club down to the 4 o'clock ball and swing toward the 10 o'clock one

it felt completely weird at first because it feels like I am swinging completely inside-out, but the swing path looks perfect on tape

one bad thing is that you can over correct yourself and start doing the opposite over a period of time, so you gotta constantly be watching yourself to see where you're at

http://www.golfdigest.com/features/index.ssf?/features/gd200505myshot.html

Here is a small section of an interview with Hank Haney on Tiger's practice swings:

You've heard the expression, "If his real swing were like his practice swing, he'd be great." In truth, most practice swings are terrible. The rhythm is pretty nice, and that's where the quote originated, but mechanically most practice swings don't resemble a correct swing in any way. The changes I've encouraged Tiger to make in his swing are minuscule, but it's hard for anyone to change something in their swing. The best way to instill changes in someone's swing is to first improve your practice swings. I always say, if you can't do it in parts or in slow motion, how are you going to do it at full speed in a tournament? I think Tiger now has a lot of purpose in his practice swings; you can certainly see that he's taking a lot more of them. You can also see that Tiger is really trying to capture and groove a feeling before he hits a shot. Sometimes you can tell he's trying to over-exaggerate something in his practice swing to really get a feeling that is opposite of what he feels is his mistake tendency.

CKGuY914 said:
In truth, most practice swings are terrible.

That's the first I've heard any teacher ever say this, and I don't know if I agree with it. Most of the explanations I've heard agree with his statement about rhythm, and then note that the reason many golfers screw up on the actual swing is that they then have to apply the clubface to the ball. One recommendation I've read very recently, maybe it was from Harmon in a recent Golf Digest(?) was to think about the position of the club face during the practice swing.

Just an observation.

The rest of it could have been lifted from 5 lessons. It reads just like Hogan's description of the purpose of the waggle.

PW-130
SW-100
LW-85
these yardages will vary depending on the shot I want to play.

I carry two wedges 53 & 57. The 53 I'll hit over the green, the 57 goes almost to the green.:eek:

wirehair said:
I carry two wedges 53 & 57. The 53 I'll hit over the green, the 57 goes almost to the green.:eek:

You need a 54 and a 56 then. ;)

R35

rockford35 said:
You need a 54 and a 56 then.

R35

Naw, that's not it, I used to play with a 52, 56, & 60. The 52 went over the green, the 56 went almost to the green, the 60 wouldn't go nowhere!

I think I need bigger greens!;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424