• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Gas Mileage - For Real

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Geeze, read thru some of the numbers that are being posted in this thread.

No wonder gas is so high. Look in the mirror....

R35

Gas is high because of supply and demand.

People pay it, why wouldn't they charge it?

SplooGe

Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2007
Gas is priced high because of the cartel model that OPEC uses to distribute their product.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Gas is high because of all the speculation on the COMEX.

According to the supply-demand model, crude oil should be about $55/barrel right now. Deregulation of the futures market, and speculation driven by greed, are the culprits.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Sling is right, Ez. I was going to tell you the exact same thing. Reset the trip odometer after you fill it. Drive half a tank off, then fill it again. Divide the number of miles by the number of gallons.

Silly boy.

I'm not filling the thing... for one it's too expensive and for 2 it weighs almost 9lbs. a gallon. Anyway, I did it from E to E again with 4.1 gallons. How is F to 1/2 going to be more accurate?

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
I'm not filling the thing... for one it's too expensive and for 2 it weighs almost 9lbs. a gallon. Anyway, I did it from E to E again with 4.1 gallons. How is F to 1/2 going to be more accurate?

Water weighs around 8lbs a gallon, gas is 6lbs.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
it costs the same amount of money whether you fill it up once a week or only fill it a quarter tank four times a week...you still use the gas at the same pace, and actually with stopping at the gas station four more times than you need to your are probably using more fuel than your saving by not having all that weight of the fuel in the back...

Its more accurate going from full to full because the gas pump will shut off alot closer to the same point in the tank than you can guess how much fuel is left in the tank(which you have to do unless you run the tank dry with your technique)

The electronic fuel light and the fuel gage are very vauge as to how much fuel is left in the tank, thus not very accurate, thus wreaking havoc with your calculations

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Originally Posted by Rockford35
Geeze, read thru some of the numbers that are being posted in this thread.

No wonder gas is so high. Look in the mirror....

R35

I want desperately to get away from my truck, but cant afford to buy a car. This thing was dropped on me when I got my license cuz my dad wanted a new car (he promptly got an 06 Passat that gets 39mpg in the city, 44 on the highway).

I have to spend all my money basically with ICBC and gas prices combined.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
FWIW - I don't believe half the numbers posted here.

There is no was an AWD Subaru is getting 38mpg. Maybe 38 km.

My little Mazda gets anywhere between 25 and 28. Combination of 70% HWY and 30% city driving.

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
We've checked multiple times for all our vehicles.

My 97 expedition is 12.2 MPG
Dad's 06 VW Passat is 39.3 MPG
Mom's Town & Country (i think 02? its such a p.o.s though) is 19.7 MPG.

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004

Too expensive?

Indeed it is but guess what, you consume the same amount whether you put in $10 at a time or $80. The ONLY difference is that at $80, you'll do it less often.

Besides....what does it hold? 13 gallons? It's not a huge tank.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Driving home from Bismarck three weeks ago, I got 770km on a tank. That's a hair over 478 miles. I wasn't on empty, but damn close.

478 miles with a 14US gallon tank =34mpg.

I'll take that.

R35

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Too expensive?

Indeed it is but guess what, you consume the same amount whether you put in $10 at a time or $80. The ONLY difference is that at $80, you'll do it less often.

Besides....what does it hold? 13 gallons? It's not a huge tank.

Yeah, it seems more expensive because I do cash only, for everything. $80 is as much as I usually have on me, for the week.

West Coast Duffer

Orange County California
Oct 12, 2007
FWIW - I don't believe half the numbers posted here.

There is no was an AWD Subaru is getting 38mpg. Maybe 38 km.

My little Mazda gets anywhere between 25 and 28. Combination of 70% HWY and 30% city driving.

Agreed! I think most people are calculating their mpgs the same way they calculate their 350yd drives.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
34.8mpg over 18,000 km in my Subaru Legacy Touring.

R35

Edmunds says 18/24 for the 4cyl 2.5 Liter auto, which sounds about right. It's worse for the 3.0 and the model with turbo.

I was looking at Subarus since everyone and their dog here in VT has one... most Subies per capita because of the AWD, but went another direction because the mileage was so poor. I think the metric to imperial conversion is fudging that number... either that or you have some awesome fuel out there :D

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Rock - here's part of your problem:

Fuel Tank Capacity: 16.9 gal.

This would give you about 28mpg.

Maybe I am gathering data from the wrong car?? Although I'd imagine all the tanks on the sedans would be the same size

🔥 Latest posts