• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Gas Mileage - For Real

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Rock - here's part of your problem:

Fuel Tank Capacity: 16.9 gal.

This would give you about 28mpg.

Maybe I am gathering data from the wrong car?? Although I'd imagine all the tanks on the sedans would be the same size

I'm going by the manual that comes with the car.

Interestingly enough, the Touring isn't sold in the US. Strange. It is the 2.5L 170hp tho.

R35

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
To those of you that are having a hard time believeing...Mileage has ALOT to do with your diving habbits...

when i got this car(93 Merc Cougar 3.8l V6 with 92,000) i was getting between 19 and 22 mpg on every single tank and i figured that was going to be about what i was going to get with it(i have always tracked fuel mileage on all of my vehicles because my dad has always done it). Since the gas prices have started to go up and i am trying to conserve fuel to stay on budget i have change my driving habbits and am now getting between 27 and 29mpg and it now has over 150,000 on it. Thats a difference of between 5 and 10 mpg just by changing my driving habbits.

If you would like me to send you pictures of my trip meter and gas reciept i would bemore than willing.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
To those of you that are having a hard time believeing...Mileage has ALOT to do with your diving habbits...

when i got this car(93 Merc Cougar 3.8l V6 with 92,000) i was getting between 19 and 22 mpg on every single tank and i figured that was going to be about what i was going to get with it(i have always tracked fuel mileage on all of my vehicles because my dad has always done it). Since the gas prices have started to go up and i am trying to conserve fuel to stay on budget i have change my driving habbits and am now getting between 27 and 29mpg and it now has over 150,000 on it. Thats a difference of between 5 and 10 mpg just by changing my driving habbits.

If you would like me to send you pictures of my trip meter and gas reciept i would bemore than willing.
No doubt you are correct. Keep tires inflated. Accelerate slowly and smoothly. Take foot off gas well in advance of a stop. And most of all - SLOW DOWN!

I sometimes have a hard time believing we have a gas crisis when I see all those macho F250's, H2's, and Expeditions hauling ass through traffic. then I realize, it's not a gas crisis, it's an asswhole crisis...

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
I sometimes have a hard time believing we have a gas crisis when I see all those macho F250's, H2's, and Expeditions hauling ass through traffic. then I realize, it's not a gas crisis, it's an asswhole crisis...
Watch out for those guys...they're all looking for wimpy V-6 4x4's to run over! :p

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Watch out for those guys...they're all looking for wimpy V-6 4x4's to run over! :p
Turned left onto a side street the other day. Big honkin' black F250 was smack dab in the middle of the road, with his giant chrome brush guard (that has never touched anything but lovebugs) pushing out into the main street. I pulled up and stopped, waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting for the jerk to back up and get the heck out of my way. He sat there laughing. I sat there waiting. After about three minutes the moron actually drove up and over the curb to go around me. What a dik.

Actually, I'm lucky he didn't just drive over me, like you said....
icon12.gif

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Thought i would dig this one up from the grave...lol

Well, since my last post i have gotten rid of the 93 cougar...it was still getting arounmd 28mpg when i got rid of it. Traded it in for a F150 that gets around 15 average.

The tiburon still gets anywhere from 25-28 depending on who is driving and what kind of driving we're doing.

P.S. I miss some of the people that are in this thread....Eracer, Ez, piper(even though he hated me...lol), and as i was going through other threads Pa Jayhawk, MDdubya, and several other familiar names that have been MIA lately...:(

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Not one of the 3 cars we've had gets 20 mpg. The Rav4 we got my oldest boy should do better than that.

I need to call Eracer and see what's up.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Thought i would dig this one up from the grave...lol

Well, since my last post i have gotten rid of the 93 cougar...it was still getting arounmd 28mpg when i got rid of it. Traded it in for a F150 that gets around 15 average.

The tiburon still gets anywhere from 25-28 depending on who is driving and what kind of driving we're doing.

P.S. I miss some of the people that are in this thread....Eracer, Ez, piper(even though he hated me...lol), and as i was going through other threads Pa Jayhawk, MDdubya, and several other familiar names that have been MIA lately...:(

Yeah, Jayhawk has been MIA for awhile. Ez surfaced for a day or two this summer I think but the rest I haven't seen.

As for gas mileage, I have a G6 that's getting around 25 and a Rainier thats getting around 18. When gas hits $5/gal though we both will be walking!

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
-Subaru Impreza RX: 26mpg
-Renault Twingo: 33mpg

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Yeah, I miss eracer and mddubya, too, but mostly I miss looking at SplooGe's avatar! :)

My car update: traded the 2001 Montero Sport 3.5L V6 4x4 (19 average mpg) last week for a 2008 BMW 335xi Coupe. The BMW is a whole lot more fun and is getting 24.7 mpg on the same trips at a lot faster speed. :)

Still have my Acura RSX Type-S for daily driving. I gets 30 mpg on that trip, so it will get most of the use.

bryguy

May 15, 2008
Ok, I am kinda back.......
07 Tacoma 4x4 crew cab, with a K&N filter and tires running at 40lbs, cruise control, and speed limit will get me 22 mpg max. normally runs about 19 to 20 on the highway. Unsure about the city milage, probably is around 13 or so. Way you drive has a huge impact...if my foot gets heavy or I drive over the speedlimit, it has gone as low as 16 on the highway...

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
Ok, I am kinda back.......
07 Tacoma 4x4 crew cab, with a K&N filter and tires running at 40lbs, cruise control, and speed limit will get me 22 mpg max. normally runs about 19 to 20 on the highway. Unsure about the city milage, probably is around 13 or so. Way you drive has a huge impact...if my foot gets heavy or I drive over the speedlimit, it has gone as low as 16 on the highway...

What is towing/hauling capacity on yourTaco? I never had the chance to look them up because my truck was pretty much a snap decision due to the price...

I had a feeling the Taco would probably suit my needs for the most part, but having an overhead of power is nice. Of course the 15mpg average isn't as nice...

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
I had an odd gas mileage thing. My car is a Dodge Intrepid R/T - high output engine. Usual highway driving gets me 22-25 at 70-75 mph. Several months ago I drove to Phoenix from Dallas and through the southwest portion of Texas, the speed limit jumps to 80 MPH, I of course rolled through there at 85-90. Mileage on that leg rose to almost 30, coming back I duplicated that mileage. Moral of the story, drive like a bat outta hell.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
I had an odd gas mileage thing. My car is a Dodge Intrepid R/T - high output engine. Usual highway driving gets me 22-25 at 70-75 mph. Several months ago I drove to Phoenix from Dallas and through the southwest portion of Texas, the speed limit jumps to 80 MPH, I of course rolled through there at 85-90. Mileage on that leg rose to almost 30, coming back I duplicated that mileage. Moral of the story, drive like a bat outta hell.

Some vehicles engines are more efficient at certain speeds and depending on gearing it may be above normal highway speeds. I believe the C5 corvette was notorious for being more fuel efficient(by a fairly large margin) at 80 than it was at 60.

Also, it could be the wind was in the right direction, your tires were warmer and thus had less rolling resistance, you drafted more often during that stretch of road, the temp, barometric pressure, and humidity were perfect for your engine to run efficiently.

Billions of variables come into mileage.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I'm still driving my 98 F-150, 4.6 litre V-8 engine,4 spd auto, 240,000 miles. When I got it it had 50k on it and got 17 mpg. I did a full tune-up on it at 150,000, replaced the EGR valve,plugs, plug wires, put a K&N filter on it and a low restriction exhaust on it one weekend, total cost of $650.00. The next tank I got 19mpg, the one after that it was down to 18mpg. Third tank, right back to 17mpg which is what it still gets to this date. With my 19ft ski-boat behind it the mileage drops to 10-11 though, ouch.

On the other hand my wife's car, a 2004 Chrysler Concorde, is still getting 26-27 with her behind the wheel, 23-24 when I drive it.

🔥 Latest posts