• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

G'day from Down Under

In The Ruff

Sep 17, 2006
Hi Everybody!
I'm from Western Australia, 30 years old and have been playing for about a year all up with some breaks in between.
I developed my addiction over the last 3 months or so, started getting worried about it until I logged on to this forum and discovered that I am definitley not alone! (I now get excited over a nice patch of grass!)
It disturbs me however that most threads I read are guys talking about playing for 8 months and having 2 handicaps or shooting mid 70's?!?!
If I shoot 105 I've had a good day!? I'm not unco-ordinated! I can walk upright and everything! I play other sports pretty well! I'm wondering if I'm a slow learner when it comes to golf or are some of these guy's stretching the truth a little?
Anyway, if you are all the champions you claim to be I am hoping to learn a lot from you in the future! :D

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
Not to worry my friend I have been at it a year and 2 months, I have broken 100 once, and I drive the ball a long ways. You are doing fine. I can believe that a guy that can putt well could break 85 in their first year though. If I could putt worth a damn I should have broke 90 at least a couple of times, keep at it, the scores will come.

OP
I

In The Ruff

Sep 17, 2006
Funny you metion that Davebud, last week my girlfriend bought me one of those little putting cups - I have just been putting around in front of the TV after work.
On the weekend I shot a 45 for 9 holes which is my best yet and give all credit to the putting. Holed two 12 foot putts and a bunch from around 7 feet.
It's the horrible hook that I have developed that is slowing me down, my second shot is always from the rough. Any ideas on that?

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
For me the hook either comes from my grip (85% the time) or my shoulders being off line. Work with your grip, I have a tendency to grip to far over the top with my left hand to compensate for slicing, once I slow down and look at what I am doing it usually goes away.

OP
I

In The Ruff

Sep 17, 2006
You might be onto something there! I have been checking my stance and what I've been doing with my right hand but not my left. Now I think about it I think I am holding it over the top....
What do you mean by "shoulders out of line"? Not square to the ball?

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
You might be onto something there! I have been checking my stance and what I've been doing with my right hand but not my left. Now I think about it I think I am holding it over the top....
What do you mean by "shoulders out of line"? Not square to the ball?

Square to the line, I seem to be inside the line every now and then and that pulls the ball left or produces a hook if I would have been on a draw.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Hi In the Ruff....

You are one of our rare Aussies...we need a ton more to spice things up.

Hope you become a regular here...

Bravo

OP
I

In The Ruff

Sep 17, 2006
Awww thanks guy's!
It's nice to feel wanted!
(By the way, I'm probably the only Australian in history that has absolutely no interest in Cricket! Did you know that they stop playing for tea?! TEA!?!? Why not BEER? I didn't even know we lost the ASHES!)

atlgolfer

Aug 9, 2006
Awww thanks guy's!
It's nice to feel wanted!
(By the way, I'm probably the only Australian in history that has absolutely no interest in Cricket! Did you know that they stop playing for tea?! TEA!?!? Why not BEER? I didn't even know we lost the ASHES!)

Anyone who uses word BEER in any sentence is my friend. welcome.

🔥 Latest posts