• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Gearhead Claire Needs Wedges

How Should Claire set up her Wedges?

• Buy men's wedges and reshaft

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Reshaft what you have. Who cares if they're junk? You're a gir

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Give it up and learn to play right handed

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Wrap your SW around Sling's neck for getting you started on this

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
Sling should be careful what he asks for.

I love every club in my bag but my SW. When I got fitted for irons this year, the fellow told me not to bother with the Callaway SW, because its sole is too wide to use anywhere but the sand. And there's no such thing as a ladies left-handed X20 LW.

My SW is the only club in my bag with a steel shaft. I like my LW but would switch it out just to be consistent. They don't make that line any more, so I can't just replace my SW with the same model.

In theory, I'd like Clevelands or Vokeys. But again, they don't exist for me. Maybe buy left-handed men's wedges and reshaft?

Or maybe just reshaft what I've already got, so I at least have consisten swing weights?

This is an open invitation to say something so gearheaded I don't even recognize it as English.

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Did you know that being left handed is the result of being improperly toilet trained? :D

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Did you know that being left handed is the result of being improperly toilet trained? :D

What, like she wipes with the hand towels? :D

Claire, I'll keep a look out for a lefty wedge head. I would be blown away to find out that companies make gender specific wedges. That would be an expense that made no sense.

Do you have specific specs that you want to keep in mind?

Loft?

Bounce?

Shaft type?

Lots of lefty stuff up here in Canada.:thumbs up:

R35

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
None of the above.

I would go to a custom fitter and have him build you a wedge. Here is a link for Wishon Fitters.
Tom Wishon Golf Technology

The one that I go to uses Miura Wedges. You should be able to get the exact Wedge, shaft, bounce, and grind that you want.

edit 1 - here is a cross reference on the Miura wedges, not that I have played them before, but just more info.
http://www.miuragolf.com/dealermap.asp

Or look for the website for a fitter and see what they sell.

BTW, I see you have an AW wedge, how did the 'fellow' who fitted you say the SW compared to the AW? I would first check the specs on it.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
None of the above.

I would go to a custom fitter and have him build you a wedge. Here is a link for Wishon Fitters.
Tom Wishon Golf Technology

The one that I go to uses Miura Wedges. You should be able to get the exact Wedge, shaft, bounce, and grind that you want.

edit 1 - here is a cross reference on the Miura wedges, not that I have played them before, but just more info.
Miura Golf Inc.

Or look for the website for a fitter and see what they sell.

IMO, this would be a HUGE waste of time and money.

She's replacing the LW in her set, which is arguably the hardest club in the bag to master. If you're going to spend money on fitting, do it on your putter or your irons. They're in your hands a helluva lot more than a LW should be.

If it was me, I'd find the mate to the GW that she uses for continuity's sake and just practice with it.

R35

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
IMO, this would be a HUGE waste of time and money.

She's replacing the LW in her set, which is arguably the hardest club in the bag to master. If you're going to spend money on fitting, do it on your putter or your irons. They're in your hands a helluva lot more than a LW should be.

If it was me, I'd find the mate to the GW that she uses for continuity's sake and just practice with it.

R35
I got the impression she was looking to replace the SW???

Although I agree, but posted in my edit, that I am not convinced the matching 55* X-20 may not be the best option. Kinda hard to believe the AW and SW are that much Different in design.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I got the impression she was looking to replace the SW???

Although I agree, but posted in my edit, that I am not convinced the matching 55* X-20 may not be the best option. Kinda hard to believe the AW and SW are that much Different in design.

Ding ding (for me). I read SW, which I always think of as the lob. Gap wedge for 56*. :eek:

R35

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
My oldest daughter is a lefty & I picked her up a decent TM Rac SW with a ladies flex shaft for a dirt cheap price.

OP
ClairefromClare

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
Claire, I'll keep a look out for a lefty wedge head. I would be blown away to find out that companies make gender specific wedges. That would be an expense that made no sense.

I had already determined that the club heads are the same for men and women.

Do you have specific specs that you want to keep in mind?

Loft?

Bounce?

Shaft type?

My wedges are 4 degrees apart, and I tend to like a lower bounce. 45 gram graphite shafts.

Lots of lefty stuff up here in Canada.:thumbs up:

So I'm told--too bad I can't ice skate for diddley squat.

BTW, I see you have an AW wedge, how did the 'fellow' who fitted you say the SW compared to the AW? I would first check the specs on it.

Actually, he told me not to bother with the AW, but I got my wedges at a great price and I had room for it in the bag. If I pull it out once a round, that's a lot.

So--am I being gear heady enough?

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
Wait, I'm confused. Who let Claire out of Non-Golf? Claire actually golfs? Claire is buying a golf club?

OP
ClairefromClare

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
Find the SW you want and get it reshafted to the appropriate material/flex. This isn't rocket surgery. :D

If you truely wish to become a gear head, buy 10 SW, reshaft them all, sell them all when they don't work, and go back to your original club when its all said and done. :laugh:

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
She needs to develop the swing speed of a man. Then she can use normal clubs.

indacup

Supporting Member
Jun 1, 2007
Iowa
I see a variety of options available to you.... but the way I would go would be to...

Re shaft all the wedges to assure consistent weight and performance. Since you represent the female species of our fine contingent, perhaps with a shaft like this?

View attachment aindacupgolf.com_idrivepink.jpg

You could get the wedges re shafted, re gripped...have lie/loft adjusted for around $30 each depending on where you take it.

Another option, albeit more expensive, would be to purchase a whole new set of wedges.

There's a few rally good options out there in the component world, where you can get a whole new set of (lefty) wedges, fitted to you, for under $75 each.

🔥 Latest posts