• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

GEEEE-10! Yes, Ping has a winner!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
After being in the bag for over two seasons, my driver went "bad". It was being retricted, far too often, to "time out". Finally, it just never found its way into the bag and became a liabiity. So...

Taking advice from "he who changes drivers more often than underwear" (WBL)... I went out and bought a G10. We're about 6 rounds into our relationship and beginning to get along quite well. Took us a few rounds to speak the same language. But, now the communication process seems to be on track.

My shaft of choice for a number of years... back in the "old days"... was the Grafalloy ProLite 35. Great Big Bertha... Biggest Big Bertha... The gray Graphite Design shafts that came OEM were junk. I'd have them changed out, immediately to the ProLite and life was good. I had forgotten the characteristics of the ProLite... a nice power fade that was controllable and predictable.

Over the past few years, I seemed to gravitate to Fuji shafts. The Fuji's all were easy to turn over. In fact, I had to be cautious or trouble left would come into play. Easy swings resulted in nice, ego enhancing draws. Muscle up a little and I could find myself deep left.

The new G10 is equipped with the Grafalloy Red shaft, (S) flex. Grafalloy's marketing says the characteristics of the Red is similar to the ProLite 35. That statement is amazingly correct! The first few holes with the G10 found me in the deep stuff to the right! I haven't been right off the tee for years. Thought for a while I had made a huge mistake. Is this shaft too much for me? Should I have gone with a "sissy flex", more recommended for an old fart like me? Did I just burn a couple hundred bucks for nothing? Nah! WBL can't be wrong!!!

I began playing the power fade this shaft seemed to like to produce. Wow! Even went back to visit a course where I played often, back in the GBB/BBB days. The power fade worked and I scored well. I was beginning to get accustomed to the shaft... but....

Some holes just call for a draw off the tee. Our home course requires the ball to be turned both way, depending on the particular hole. And, this shaft just didn't seem to want to turn over. The more I tried to turn it right to left... the farther I would block it to the right. What to do... what to do???

Last night, I wrapped about 6 grams of lead tape around the hosel. Today, this stick was magic!!! Fade... draw... Not once was I Limbaugh like right. Not once was did I hook one left. Fairway after fairway. Lowest round of the year!!! I think I have this shaft figured out!

The G10 clubhead sets up quite well. This G10 10.5 degree seems to set up about as square as could be. I don't mind the half-moon looking alignment aid on the crown. Setting down, behind tee and ball, this G10 has a "hungry" look as if it is just wanting to beat the ProV into oblivion! This driver seems to build confidence just by addressing the ball.

Some say there's not much difference, anymore, in how a ball comes off the clubface of a driver. .860 COR... all drivers have it! 460cc... all drivers are the same size. The G10 isn't some triangular shape or square shape or doesn't look like a skillet on a stick. The head shape is quite traditional. Yet, the ball seems to fly forever. Today's round found me hitting completely different irons into greens than I have ever been used to. On the balls requiring a straight tee ball... or those that needed turned slightly right to left... I was able to stroke a nice smooth draw that took the ball to parts of the fairway, unknown to this old man. 11, 12, and 13 are all good par 4's. Our group plays "longest drive in the fairway" on these three holes most every weekend. Our "big stakes game" pays you a quarter from the other participants if you're longest in the fairway on these holes. Usually, it's a toss up and no one gets "rich". This morning, I found all three fairways... waaaaayyy out there... and may be banned from this "game" for a few weeks. And, yes, there were the typical accusations of "buying a better game" tossed out. (Sure felt good, though!)

I never like to give a completely glowing review when a club hasn't had time to move from honeymoon to real life. It is difficult, however, to find anything negative to say about the G10. Solid... long... This seems to be a real fairway finder!!!

My :smilie_piEye 2+'s have always had to put up with a Callaway driver sharing bag space with them. I understand how difficult it must have been for them. Yet, the Callaways have given good service for many years. I could not have shot this year's low round, this morning, with only the G10's performance. Stellar performance by the irons was also necessary. There seemed to be a soft glow of happiness apparent in the face of each of the BeCu Eye 2+'s this morning as they sent ball after ball at the flags. Surely, they were just saying "Thanks!" for finally having bag space shared with the :smilie_piG10!!! Here's hoping this is merely the beginning of a long lasting, loving relationship with what appears to be a driver deserving of the glowing reviews I've read to date!!!

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I KNEW it. I KNEW it... :D Now if some of these other knuckleheads in here would JUST TRY ONE.... they'd never put it down. I had an HONEST 275 yard drive yesterday measured with sssmokin's GPS. It was on a 355 yard hole with a slight dogleg right at the very end. I had 80 yards in (GPS) and parred it. I swear I've hit nothing less then 250 (total distance with roll Lyle :D ) with this and that's amazing for me. :)

Of course the swing changes over the winter are really finally starting to feel natural and produce. :)

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Sounds to me like Sssmokin's GPS is broken. HAHHAHAHHAHA.

J/K

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Nice review! :D

Oh, and this knucklehead tried the G10 Warbird.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Sounds to me like Sssmokin's GPS is broken. HAHHAHAHHAHA.

J/K

VtDivot

I'll get you for that!!! :ugly25:

Oh, and this knucklehead tried the G10 Warbird.

JEFF4i

If you had the intelligence to try it then you aren't a knucklehead!! :D

But wait.... if you didn't buy it maybe you are!! :D

Black59Razr

Jul 3, 2008
The G10 was the only $300 driver in golf digest's top drivers of the year, as far as performance. The rest were in the $500 range.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I just crushed the ball off the driver tonight on every hole I used it. Straight down the middle. Shortest drive into the wind was 255. Longest was 280+. Averaged 265-270. ;)

This is a course I play weekly so I know this is not exageration. And I have witnesses (one with a GPS)!! :) I was 50-100 yards by everyone in our group (one guy shot 39) and my partners jaw never got off the ground since he's seen me really struggle with other drivers over the last two years.

Absolutely the best purchase I've made in the last three years.

Hole 1 500 yards par 5. 230 in = 270 yard drive
Hole 3 360 yards par 4. 85 yards in = 275 yard drive
Hole 4 415 yards par 4. 150 yards in = 265 yard drive
Hole 5 dogleg par 5. 255 yard drive
Hole 6 425 yards par 4. 170 yards in = 255 yard drive
Hole 7 360 yards par 4. 75 yards in = 285 yard drive
Hole 9 350 yards par 4. 70 yards in = 280 yard drive

And these were measured with my partner's GPS so is no BS. :)

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Lack of confidence has a powerful effect on the golf swing, too. :D
I wouldn't know. I am the very definition of "optimist" on the golf course...
icon11.gif

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
Now if some of these other knuckleheads in here would JUST TRY ONE.... they'd never put it down.

I tried it. I HAD to put it down. I dont think the store would've appreciated me throwing up all over it. Hard to sell with carrot chunks lodged in the grip.

BIGGEST POS EVER MADE!!! (Not really that bad, but I do have a penchant for the dramatic)

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Played with a friend who always outdrove me by 30 yards. Last night I outdrove him every hole by 10 or more yards. He hit my G10. He's buying one. :)

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Played with a friend who always outdrove me by 30 yards. Last night I outdrove him every hole by 10 or more yards. He hit my G10. He's buying one. :)

You shouldn't have let him hit it. After he buys one, he'll be hitting it 30 yards past you again.

:D

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.