• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Getting an official USGA Handicap

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
Hey guys I'm finally gonna break down and do this. I inquired at my home course, but they have this weird setup where i have to buy a "patron card" for $75 which includes a GHIN and everyting as well as some discounts and stuff, but it seems like kind of a rip-off to me. I don't play at a whole lot of other places, but still want to get an index....are there any official alternatives that are online based that you guys have tried?

any thoughts/experiences are greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

-YG

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
Hey guys I'm finally gonna break down and do this. I inquired at my home course, but they have this weird setup where i have to buy a "patron card" for $75 which includes a GHIN and everyting as well as some discounts and stuff, but it seems like kind of a rip-off to me. I don't play at a whole lot of other places, but still want to get an index....are there any official alternatives that are online based that you guys have tried?

any thoughts/experiences are greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

-YG

You will have to pay a fee of some sort to get a USGA Ghin index. The only way to get it is to apply through a USGA member organization, and they will all charge something for the service. I think my men's club charges about $30 for an associate membership, but it doesn't get you anything but an official handicap. To get any more benefits (and they are still minimal), you have to become a full member of the men's club... dues are $110 and a $25 initiation fee. All that gets is a couple of dinners and the opportunity to play in club tournaments. You still pay entry fees and any playing fees (green fees and cart rental).

Once you are assigned a Ghin number you can post scores at your course if they have a computer set up for that use. You can only post online if your association permits it. Mine (Colorado Golf Association) does, but many don't, as that takes away some of the control they might have on keeping one honest. :laugh:

niblick

Jun 13, 2007
I joined a local club through ngn.com. Easy to use, post online, and price was pretty reasonable.

digger21

Aug 2, 2007
There are a couple places online as mention above. However just ask the local courses around you what thier fee's are. Some are cheaper then others and understand that all you want is the index.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.