• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Getting Back Into Golf - Questions

King Par

Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2007
hey guys,

been away for awhile. i haven't played or swung a club in a long time but have been itching to get back.

towards the end of the season i was getting frustrated, hated having the bad swing habits i had, wasn't satisfied with my results and whatever i was trying obviously wasn't working. i decided to step away for a while and come back with a refreshed mind and hopefully lose some of my bad habits.

towards the end of the year i was shooting high 80's on a fairly easy course. would have been mid 90's on anything tougher. my main problems were driving accuracy and 60 - 140 yards out. i was decent in putting but everything else was average.

i was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what i should concentrate on. i am planning on getting a membership along with 1hr per week lessons at the golf dome. the membership allows all you can hit, one hour per day. i know the most common response would be short game, but i also suffer some in the long game.

any responses are appreciated and i am glad to be back on the forums.

eli_yates

looking to be scratch
Nov 19, 2007
if you work on your chipping then your long game will get better. plus you could hack it all over the course and still put up decent numbers because of your short game.

Victory

Nov 18, 2007
your heading in the right direction. lessons. for now- just hit 7 iron down. find the swing - work the pro and work your way up ( mnth or so) to hititng longer clubs. the proper swing is easier to learn with the shorter clubs. - build confidence and move on...:usflag:

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
What have you read?

I would start with George Knudson's "The Natural Golf Swing" and follow that up with Hogan's "5 Lessons". Or vice versa.

After you are striping it after reading and following the swing taught in those books, you won't need lessons.

And don't just read it once. Read them a few times to pick up on things you missed. It's best to read with a club in your hands so you can work on things right away.

Victory

Nov 18, 2007
GREAT IDEA-- read... Penick's -little red book, Barrett's- such a little secret, build up book > Rotella's - the golfer's mind.. agree - you wil read them a few times to GET IT* :usflag:

OP
K

King Par

Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2007
I haven't read any book yet actually, I've always thought lessons would be superior. Maybe I will pick up a couple books while the snow is still on the ground and then have stuff to work on while I'm at the dome.

I'm going to build a new set, probably from the wedges up. I've always gave more attention to my driver and 3 wood but I wouldn't mind hitting 5 iron off every tee if it meant better scores, and I did that towards the end of the season.

Thank for the tips.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.