• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Getting back into the game after years... Clubs??

manning

Oct 2, 2007
Hey guys, Found this forum through Google so I joined to post:)

Looks like the forum will be a great resource..

sorry to not post in Jim's thread, since I'm considering the same clubs, but I feel we're in different boats, + I want to introduce myself.

After walking around dicks and talking to the pro there we decided the gbear Gpowers were a sweet setup for me.
Gpower 12pc Set from Nickalus/Golden Bear I would post a link, but the site won't let me. Anyways, they are @ 179 on sale at dicks not bad, lots of clubs to confuse me;)

Quick background, Uncle taught me to play when i was 8-10 years old, I'm 25 now, and I haven't swung a club in at least 14-15 years.. Played a 9 hole today with rented clubs (HORRIBLE) and scored a 51 which I consider not terrible for 1st time in 15 years on rented clubs:)

After looking on Jim's thread It seems everyone is pushing used clubs, I have no problem with that, but how will I be able to test them?

Also, I realised today that my 4i is still a nice good shot, 4h scares me because the 4i is all I have left, other than putting, thank god for putt putt. Will I like a 4h?

Also if it matters, I'll be golfing at least 1-2 times a week if not more, and will be taking clients out for outings.

Anyways, I'll leave it at that, bring on the responses so I can figure out what the heck I'm doing:)

THANKS!

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
First off, welcome to the forum, looking forward to more of your posts. To answer one of your questions, once you get out on the course, you can try some of the clubs that your friends or clients are playing and then look for those in a pre-owned condition. A 4h is supposed to replace your 4 iron, it gives you a more forgiving option, which is what most golfers need as the longer irons are more difficult to hit. It may take some adjustment to get accustomed to hitting the hybrid as it looks like a smaller fairway wood rather than the traditional iron look that you are used to.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Welcome. The reason we push used clubs is value. You can get better performance for less money.

If you buy a set that suits you from a trusted source (like Global Golf) then you will be assured that you are getting what you pay for.

The biggest problem most people (myself included) have with used clubs is cosmetics. The irons may have some face wear, or sole wear, or some dings here and there - none of which affects play. If you can get over that...

There are deals to be had. The trick is to get clubs that suit you. For a player who is just getting into the game, you really only need to focus on getting the best game-improvement clubs you can afford. Go with regular shafts. Get used clubs if you can live with the cosmetics. Buy from Rob over at GG with confidence.

This would be an excellent choice:

Adams IDEA Iron Set 3-PW Used Golf Club at GlobalGolf.com

Note that True Temper Dynamic Gold Lite (reg. flex) shafts are available. Perfect.

OP
M

manning

Oct 2, 2007
Tmag, thanks for the 4h vs 4i description

Eracer, Thanks for the response, what I do like about the Gbear set is it's a one stop cheapish option..

I've been considering a cheapish set of used irons such as

some Ben hogans, Tommy armours, those cheap snake eyes i saw referenced, but at the same time, i have NO idea what other clubs to get to go with it...

If it helps.. i would like to do a good set for any course, with a bad for under 300 bucks?

OP
M

manning

Oct 2, 2007
also, when I'm looking at used clubs, does the size matter?

Dicks told me I'm at 33.5" so do I just cut down the used ones?

OP
M

manning

Oct 2, 2007
and what is "forgiving" just eaiser to play with because it's more of a "all around" type head?

WildCatGolfer17

Aug 16, 2007
Forgiving mean that you can miss hit the ball more on the face and get away with it. if you miss hit an iron more than 1/3 of an inch off dead center, your loosing 20 yards on a 4 iron and who knows where it will go. the Hybrid will still allow you to keep distance, get the ball in the air and give you a chance to save par. Good luck, since everyother question seems to be answered I will just say, Welcome :)

🔥 Latest posts