• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Getting fitted, few q's

King Par

Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2007
So I am getting TLT fit, sent my specs off to Lyle, etc.

Now I was just looking for a place around here to assemble them to the right length, loft, lie and swingweight. I found a good place not far from here but they said they don't spine the shafts. But they'll assemble and adjust them to my specs for $10 a club. I found another place, but the guy insists on me getting fitted for the right shaft stiffness and grip size before hand, he wants to see my tempo, lag, etc. The problem is, I have a demo club, with a stiff shaft and standard Golf Pride grip that I absolutely love. I hit it great. So I was just planning on buying some FST's, the same grip, and using that. Now I'm not sure what to do.

Should I just get fit for shaft stiffness/grip size? Or go with what I already know and like?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
If your demo works, build a set around that. Is your demo an FST shaft?

If you sweet talk Lyle, maybe he'll build a set for you for a price. He likes chocolate, onion rings and long walks on the beach. :D

R35

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
Fitting for shaft stiffness might not be horrible, assuming this fitter will build you a frequency matched set (you may not want the standard recommended tip trim from iron to iron) - For example, you may love that one club, but following the mfgr's tip trim recommendation could result in the next club being a little too stiff or too soft.
Clubs can be frequency matched in a number of different ways (I won't even pretend to have any real experience with this, but I know there are a few different slopes)

One slope, say the standard True Temper slope might have 4-5cpms between the 7 and 8 iron. Another slope may have 2-3 cpms between those clubs, and you could also match the frequency exactly. I tried to build my irons at 1/2 the "normal" slope - to me, the transition from one club to another is smoother. If you follow the RP slope, you might find your PW is too stiff and your 3 iron too soft, on the other hand, a lot of sets have been built on that slope, and a lot of people seem to do just fine with it....

Fitting for grip size is crap in my opinion. Many fitters will tell you grip fitting is all about comfort. If he's willing to build you demos with different grip sizes once you have your ideal length, swingweight/MOI, and flex figured you, maybe some trial and error with different grip sizes will benefit you. If it's just a measurement or based on your glove size or whatever, stick with what you know if you're happy with current results.

It sounds like the first place that want to charge $10/club is just a cut/glue shop without much actual fitting happening.

Have you considered sending you clubs to Lyle or a sponsor? I think he may have assembled Rock's irons.

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online