• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Getting used to the new shaft? HELP!

EHokie

They Like it When I Wag
Jun 24, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I took my Regular Aldila NV 65 out of my driver and put in a stiff Proforce 65 that's 1/2 inch below standard. I have a match tomorrow. Assuming I can't play or hit balls before my match, any ideas on how I can get used to it?

extremeVFT03

golfaholic
Supporting Member
Apr 22, 2007
Country
United States United States
if the match mean's anything then i would stick to what you know. if its a frenidly round then take it. i can't think of a any way to get use to a club besides hitting it.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
If you've already changed it out, and can't try it out before the round, prayer comes to mind.

Seriously, good luck.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
I made the mistake of bringing a new driver to a match last year. Number one player, first off the first with every player and coach watching. Block OB. Pounded a 3 wood past the other guys' drives afterwords to redeem myself, thankfully.

Get ready to use that fairway wood or a long iron off most tees.

OP
EHokie

EHokie

They Like it When I Wag
Jun 24, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I MAY get to play tomorrow morning before the match. Or go to the range, even better.

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
I'd hit the range if at all possible. Like mentioned before I don't know of any way to get used to a club without hitting it. Hopefully you can get some range time in before your match!

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I had a Proforce 65 installed in my old R7 460 driver, hated that damn shaft, never could get used to it.

Good luck, you may need it.

LBlack14

Enjoy Life!
Supporting Member
May 5, 2008
Ohio
Country
It's a tip stiff bugger, but I loved it. Actually have a 3w and 5w that I won't get rid of shafted with it. Played more than 1 driver with it. Nice shaft IMO.

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
Hard to get more polar opposites switching between the crappy NV and a ProForce gold.

You will need to swing harder than with the NV otherwise it'll be block city! There's one thought that I would be sticking to.

OP
EHokie

EHokie

They Like it When I Wag
Jun 24, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Hard to get more polar opposites switching between the crappy NV and a ProForce gold.

You will need to swing harder than with the NV otherwise it'll be block city! There's one thought that I would be sticking to.

Anyone else have some thoughts?

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
Anyone else have some thoughts?

Just re-read your first post and noticed you went from a REG NV to a STIFF ProForce. Any particular reason?

And if that 1/2 inch has come off the tip and not the butt, then you better get both feet off the ground with your swing coz that will be one stiff mother.

OP
EHokie

EHokie

They Like it When I Wag
Jun 24, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Just re-read your first post and noticed you went from a REG NV to a STIFF ProForce. Any particular reason?

And if that 1/2 inch has come off the tip and not the butt, then you better get both feet off the ground with your swing coz that will be one stiff mother.

Reason: The NV was feeling a bit too "soft"... and... the Proforce was sitting around the house.

Not sure which end it came off of.

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
You gotta go into this thing open minded. Otherwise, you're Effed before you even walk onto the tee.

Think of it as, You have a stiffer shaft, which equates to more control. Your driver is now effectively a fairway splitting machine!

Tee it up a little lower than normal. and put a nice, confident swing on it, make sure to keep your head down on the ball, and drive through it. You want to try and watch the club hit the ball. Don't worry about looking up for it, let your partners and spectators worry about that.

keep this mindset, and you'll do fine.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online