• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

GFW: The Magazine

Harry Longshanks

bow-chicka-bow-wow
Jul 20, 2008
I have no idea why, but yesterday a copy of the last issue of GFW showed up in my mailbox (maybe they had extras laying around and somehow I got on a list).

Anyway, I now understand why so many of the ladies were annoyed with the issue. Very little merit. I understand that it was "The Style Issue", but even the article on clothing, etc. were weak. Incredibly overpriced stuff was featured, when clothing was even featured. Do women really want to read articles about the designers instead of the clothes they design.

I thought Ashley Mayo did a pretty decent job with the GPS article though. It was very refreshing to read a review in a golf magazine that actually criticized a product (i.e., "The units I tried were defective and I never got an accurate reading.")

I also liked a couple of the "tips" articles (why is it that the GFW tips are so much better than the ones from the "men's" magazines), and Stina's rants and raves were hilarious. I get the feeling Stina is very high manitenance. But damn, she might be worth it.

Anyway, a few good pages were not enough to save the issue. But it's still a shame the magazine folded. Based on th couple of issues I have read, I would honestly think about subscribing if it somehow survives.

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
I have no idea why, but yesterday a copy of the last issue of GFW showed up in my mailbox (maybe they had extras laying around and somehow I got on a list).

Anyway, I now understand why so many of the ladies were annoyed with the issue. Very little merit. I understand that it was "The Style Issue", but even the article on clothing, etc. were weak. Incredibly overpriced stuff was featured, when clothing was even featured. Do women really want to read articles about the designers instead of the clothes they design.

I thought Ashley Mayo did a pretty decent job with the GPS article though. It was very refreshing to read a review in a golf magazine that actually criticized a product (i.e., "The units I tried were defective and I never got an accurate reading.")

I also liked a couple of the "tips" articles (why is it that the GFW tips are so much better than the ones from the "men's" magazines), and Stina's rants and raves were hilarious. I get the feeling Stina is very high manitenance. But damn, she might be worth it.

Anyway, a few good pages were not enough to save the issue. But it's still a shame the magazine folded. Based on th couple of issues I have read, I would honestly think about subscribing if it somehow survives.

Oh Harry, you'd be fetching in that cover dress! And Stina's always been a hoot.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
A "Style" Section.

Don't some women find that somewhat offensive? Go buy a Vogue or something, jeez.

Oh, and nothing like seeing someone in expensive clothing all fancy shmancy and high on themselves, and then beating them in my KoRn shirt and blue jeans!

OP
Harry Longshanks

Harry Longshanks

bow-chicka-bow-wow
Jul 20, 2008
Don't some women find that somewhat offensive? Go buy a Vogue or something, jeez.

Nah. They can be golfers and women at the same time. The big criticism was that GFW started focusing on ridiculously expensive clothes.

I'll admit that, while I'm no clotheshorse or metrosexual, my favorite golf mag is GolfPunk. Style, chicks, and golf. Hell yeah!

ClairefromClare

Like my balls?
Jul 23, 2008
Oh, I never said she didn't have nice hooters. She does!

[youtube]g9YhIz-uXmk[/youtube]

I just think she'd be VERY high maintenance.

Oh Cripes, Harry. The woman just had a baby. That explains that. And those women in Golf Punk aren't even attractive. Besides, the repeat the same photos over, only with different names. I guess they figure their readership (I use that term loosely) doesn't notice?

OP
Harry Longshanks

Harry Longshanks

bow-chicka-bow-wow
Jul 20, 2008
Oh Cripes, Harry. The woman just had a baby. That explains that. And those women in Golf Punk aren't even attractive. Besides, the repeat the same photos over, only with different names. I guess they figure their readership (I use that term loosely) doesn't notice?

That clip of Stina is pre-preggers.

And sorry C f/ C, but she:

wallpaper-golf-nurse1-th.jpg
wallpaper-golf-nurse-th.jpg

is attractive.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Man, Stina is nice, very nice!

I'd like her to spank me...at golf...and other things!

soxngolf

The Chick
Jul 26, 2008
Stina's rants have always been a favorite part of the magazine for me. but I really didn't like her hosting the Big Break. I always agree with her rants though!:hunter:

I agree with you Harry that the tips are always good. Much better than the guy's mags.

What I want to know, is when are we getting the "replacement" choice? Hopefully we don't just lose our money.

OP
Harry Longshanks

Harry Longshanks

bow-chicka-bow-wow
Jul 20, 2008
Stina's rants have always been a favorite part of the magazine for me. but I really didn't like her hosting the Big Break. I always agree with her rants though!:hunter:

I agree with you Harry that the tips are always good. Much better than the guy's mags.

What I want to know, is when are we getting the "replacement" choice? Hopefully we don't just lose our money.

Soxy!

Nice to see you here again!

No way Conde Nast would just steal subscriber's money. But they should have contacted you by now. You should email GFW (maybe someone is still monitoring their email) or Conde Nast directly.

soxngolf

The Chick
Jul 26, 2008
Wow, so I went to the GFW website and it redirects to a golf digest page that says this: (notice the editor)

DEAR GOLFFORWOMEN.COM READER:
Thank you for visiting Golf For Women's website. You may be wondering why you were sent to this page--and what happened to the site you're used to seeing. Let us explain.
With the July/August issue, Golf For Women ceased publication and its web site was incorporated into golfdigest.com. We will be moving many of the stories, interviews and tips from golfforwomen.com to golfdigest.com, and adding many more from Annika Sorenstam, Lorena Ochoa and others. We will also re-launch a Women's Golf forum on golfdigest.com.
Though this isn't quite the same as golfforwomen.com, we hope it will provide the resources and community that you were helping to build there, and that you'll continue to visit and help us build a vital site devoted to women's golf here.
In short, welcome to Golf Digest Woman online, a site that will cover all aspects of the women's game.
If you would like to share your thoughts on the website and what type of features you'd like to read about, please post them on our forum.
Sincerely,
Stina Sternberg
Editor of Golf Digest Woman

it looks interesting, I will have to investigate further...

soxngolf

The Chick
Jul 26, 2008
I was on vacation! I am having trouble getting back into functioning on a schedule today.:beach3:

OP
Harry Longshanks

Harry Longshanks

bow-chicka-bow-wow
Jul 20, 2008
Wow, so I went to the GFW website and it redirects to a golf digest page that says this: (notice the editor)

it looks interesting, I will have to investigate further...

Interesting.

Why is it that the companies with enough money to spend on a good forum always have the crappiest forum software? It never works right, never has any worthwhile features, and always looks like poo.

🔥 Latest posts