• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

gimme putts

funserv

Aug 8, 2005
I am searching for a method to handle the giving of short putts. I play in a regular Saturday golf group and we average about 12 players per week. Everyone throws in twenty dollars and we play a modified stableford game. As you can imagine, one point could mean the difference between being in the money and out of the money. Personally I think the ball should be holed out but for the sake of speed, gimmies are necessary. Some of the guys are much more giving than others meaning the putts being given are a bit longer than I would give. I'm sure there are many methods for dealing with gimmies and I would love to hear them all. Can anyone on this forum help?

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
Money's involved in multiple groups? Putt out. That's my opinion anyhow. Stuff like matchplay is different, but in a group setting like that...it's the most fair. Otherwise, maybe say something like "the length of a standard putter grip". Standard as in non-belly putter.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
With money on the line and playing in different groups everyone should putt out. If you don't there will be hard feeling at some point.

If you're going to use gimmies you can also use ball inside the grip of a standard putter with putter head lying inside the hole.

Farquod

Short Game Tragedy
Mar 8, 2005
Gimme, schmimmie. Money on the line? I'll make it 4 in a row. Putt out.

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
How long does it take to putt a gimmie? Always hole out, I never take the putt even if it is given, unless we are playing skins and he conceeds the hole.

If you love arguments, use gimmie's when money is involved.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
If it was one group, you could ask around about whether to pick it up or not. Since it's multiple groups, putt out.

Like you say, a lot of people give putts that you would never dream of. Anyone can miss a 2-footer. Moreso if it's "for something".

Putting out is really the only fair way in multiple groups.

BentGrass

In the Lumbar Yard
Jul 3, 2005
I'd guess you're not the only one in the group that feels this way either.

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Let someone tap it in if they're that close. Wouldn't take more than 4 seconds longer then if they were to walk up and grab their ball, eh?

🔥 Latest posts