• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Give me Wisdom

robereno

Oct 25, 2006
Hey Guys want your opinion on two things. First outside of ProV's what Golf Balls do you prefer? Question two how do you feel about used balls and have you ever bought them?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Callaway HX.Tour 56 (new version). It's the only ball I play.

I have bought used balls 3 or 4 times in the past, with 95% of them being exactly what described. In my opinion, there's no reason to try and pass off A grade balls in a AAA package.

I would buy used again.

R35

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I tried the bridgestone 330's and really like them. The E6 was a good distance ball as well. I personally play the Callaway HX tour. Best ball I have ever hit. Wind, what wind?

I have no problem with used as long as they are in good shape. My big gripe is yellowing. I will not use a ball that has yellowed.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
I have bought a ton of used balls, mostly on Ebay. Here is a partial list of the used ones I have bought:
Titleist DT Solo
Titleist NXT
Titleist NXT Tour
Titleist DT Wound 90
Callaway Hex Hot
Callaway Warbird
Callaway HX Blue
Callaway HX Tour

Of all these, the Titleist DT Solo was my fav, followed closely by the NXT Tour.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Personal opinion only!!! Your mileage may vary. Only thing I've found comparable to the ProV is the Bridgestone 330. I know a number of folks like the HX56 Callaway, but I've never been 'turned on' by that ball.

Used??? Heck yeah!!!! Most articles on ball degradation will tell you the normal shelf life will run 2 to 3 years. That life can be diminished somewhat by freeze/thaw cycles. And, that depends upon just what kind of cold the balls have been subjected to. Supposedly, the newer balls are not affected by submergence like the old wound balls were. I probably still have 8 to 10 dozen of ProV's... all found balls... and have zero reluctance to putting them into play.

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
I would never buy used golf balls or used wedges. I am looking towards changing my preffered balls out to Nike Ones, I picked up a 3-pack and they felt pretty good.

Andy_79

Oct 6, 2005
I have s**tloads of balls I have bought and won up the stairs. It'll take me yonks to get through them all ! lol.

If not using a Pro V1, I choose the Callaway HX Tour. Very stable in the wind, although I do find it marginally hard to pitch with. I want to give that Bridgestone ball the proper 'once over.'

Rock: Do you find you lose much/any distance with ussing that Hx Tour ? I may give that a go the next time I am out as have a handful of them. Notice they're not quite as long, but I do like the feel of them...

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Never bought used balls, but find and use them all the time.

Premium balls I prefer Cally HX's (both) and TM TP Red or Black.

But, I only buy those at a discount when I can and I'll play most anything.

Just played a box of Tour Strata Balata's that I found at home..."old new" balls...they played very well.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Rock: Do you find you lose much/any distance with ussing that Hx Tour ? I may give that a go the next time I am out as have a handful of them. Notice they're not quite as long, but I do like the feel of them...

A,

I find the HX.56 to be s superior ball, as the feel you get around the greens and with the putter supercedes the small distance loss. With that, I mean maybe 5-8 yards with a driver, but no distance gap with irons.

R35

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
I bought 50 used Nike one's for £25 (50 pence a ball). I found them to be as good as new & I thought they messured up quite well compared to the pro v, I used these for practice rounds but not comps. Then I got 50 premium Hogan balls (Apex tour, tour deep & The hawk) for £25 off ebay these are now my gamers and again for 50 pence a ball these are superb. I actually prefer these over the Pro V's, I'd say they are just as long but dance a lot more with a wedge. When they have all gone I'll be going back for more.

Fitzpatrick

Good Walk Spoiler
Supporting Member
Dec 19, 2006
Currently I switch off between Cally's HX Tour 56 and the Titleist Pro V1. The Titleist feels about the same as the Cally to me, but I like the way the HX 56 spins more for me. I use the Cally's generally in windier days with harder greens. But in wetter and softer conditions, it's the Proveeone for me.

I've dabbled a bit in the Bridgestone's, and found that I like the e6 better, and I use it a lot when it's cold.

As for used balls, I'm just too particular (peculiar?) in that I always like to play with the balls that I have bought. It can be at the bottom of my ball pocket and covered in dirt and grass stains from ten rounds ago, but if I know I bought it, it'll work for me. ::shrugs:: Horses for courses, I guess.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I like the HX Tour over the ProV1. The Bridgestone E5 and E6 are great balls and I'm going to try their 330. Haven't tried buying used balls yet. :)

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
The higher model Callaways are likely an even choice for me with ProV1's, this based on what I have found on the course. However, with my course, I usually only buy bargain balls. I usually look for a 3 piece ball in the $10-15 a dozen range, which is not to hard to come buy decent balls in this price range. That being said, I also do not buy used balls, as I not only find enough decent golf balls on the course to play with if I desired, but at $10-15 I can play a decent 3 piece ball that I know has not baked in the sun all day for a week, and provides a consistent feel. Where if I find a ProV1 on the course and play it and it doesn't act right, I have no qualms with throwing it back in the woods were I found it.

This is one thing good about playing on a wooded course, with fairly dry wetland hazards to cross as opposed to water, if you really want golf balls and have a little time, you can find a ton of good golf balls in the woods or wetlands.

I could easily play this course and never buy another golf ball for as long as I play, if it did not care about a consistent feel. I am even picky about my waterballs, which are high dollar and better than the ones I play, and in great shape, and I have about 5-6 dozen in my garage right now.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
HX Tour 56 or Bridgestone 330s

I bought some used prov1s last year and was very happy with the quality. The were grade As and I couldn't tell them from new.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Nike One Platinum for me,its awesome,imho better than the ProV1.The Srixon AD333 is a great ball as well

🔥 Latest posts