• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Gleneagles Kings Course

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
14th hole...260 yard par 4. On the card it looks easy...

Cant really make it out from the photo, but the fairway falls away from the tee and rises steeply over those bunkers. It's a 210 yard carry over the bunkers. Sensible shot is lay up, pitch over, 2-putt par. But standing there, you have to go for it...!

So we did. Thankfully I got away with it again...ball just went over the bunker on the right and kicked in towards the hole. Was the only decent drive I hit all day, and was the best of the four on this hole. Almost charged up the fairway to see how close it was...

Sadly I didnt quite reach the green...2 yards short. Chipped in and made a birdy, so for the only time that day I dah the honour on the following hole.

I'll also post photos of holes I screwed up - there are loads of them - with commentary!
Gleneagles 14th Kings.jpg

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
Great scenery KA.
Are you using the 3-wood to reach that little par 4?
And a 50 yard green is humongous.

OP
Kilted Arab

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
Loop said:
Great scenery KA.
Are you using the 3-wood to reach that little par 4?
And a 50 yard green is humongous.

Sorry, Maybe I didnt explain it well...210 carry to the bunkers, then maybe 30 yards further to the green.

What you cant make out from the photo is the height of the ridge before the green, it's pretty steep which, I guess, takes the carry effectively longer than the strict 210 on the course guide.

Gleneagles is set amongst some fantastic scenery, that's for sure...

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Nice pic KA. These are nice for us Yanks who will more than likely never get to play these courses.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Kilted Arab said:
14th hole...260 yard par 4. On the card it looks easy...

Cant really make it out from the photo, but the fairway falls away from the tee and rises steeply over those bunkers. It's a 210 yard carry over the bunkers. Sensible shot is lay up, pitch over, 2-putt par. But standing there, you have to go for it...!

So we did. Thankfully I got away with it again...ball just went over the bunker on the right and kicked in towards the hole. Was the only decent drive I hit all day, and was the best of the four on this hole. Almost charged up the fairway to see how close it was...

Sadly I didnt quite reach the green...2 yards short. Chipped in and made a birdy, so for the only time that day I dah the honour on the following hole.

I'll also post photos of holes I screwed up - there are loads of them - with commentary!

A classic Teaser Hole....just daring you to go for it and punishing you if you fail..superb and time honored design...

OP
Kilted Arab

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
DaveE said:
Nice pic KA. These are nice for us Yanks who will more than likely never get to play these courses.

There's nothing stopping you! Do it! DO IT! You can get cheap transatlantic flights and you don't need to play the top expensive courses to get holes or views like these.

OP
Kilted Arab

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
Bravo said:
A classic Teaser Hole....just daring you to go for it and punishing you if you fail..superb and time honored design...

And if you're playing the course on a one-off basis, you gotta go for it..!

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Kilted Arab said:
There's nothing stopping you! Do it! DO IT! You can get cheap transatlantic flights and you don't need to play the top expensive courses to get holes or views like these.

There is this one thing, and she thinks golf is the dumbest game on earth. :D

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
2 words..... Adobe Photoshop ... IG will back me up that the background is Ireland ... of all the cheap nasty shots ....

OP
Kilted Arab

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
Dave Ireland said:
2 words..... Adobe Photoshop ... IG will back me up that the background is Ireland ... of all the cheap nasty shots ....

Can't be Ireland...there are trees in the shot. All yours have blown away.

🔥 Latest posts