• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Gmac and Kaymer joint European Tour players off the year.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
Both have had great season's but for me Gmac has had the best year, for me the crown would have gone to him alone. He's great too watch and has battling quality's that match anyone in the world. I loved the Ryder Cup when he was playing with McIlroy, McIlroy put his approach on 18 in the Water and Gmac told him, "don't worry, I've got your back", that was a big balls statement to make but he backed it up. This weekend all the hype was about a return to form of Tiger. Gmac pulled 4 shot's back to force a Playoff, the up & down on 17 was superb and the two putts he sank on 18 in regulation and the playoff were superb. In the past Tiger would have won the Playoff without hitting a ball he had that much of a mental hold over his opponant's, it's good to see these younger players loving the challenge and stepping up to the plate. It's been a great season, can't wait for the next one. i hope Tiger returns to some where near his top form and I hope the new batch of players push him all the way.

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Good thread MG, I agree with it all. I'm not a Tiger hater, just hate people who blindly worship him. I too hope he comes back, he makes golf interesting. Hard to see GMAC topping this season though. I'd love to see him win the Open.

Can't wait for 2011!

Stanters

Trinket King
Aug 13, 2006
Agreed - but a good decision to to give them a shared award I reckon. They both had great years it would be hard to split them. Stats can go and burn in these instances, they are just for lazy, unimaginative types who don't recognise the soul of the game.

It was a good year for golf in general, 3 first time Major winners, an excellent Ryder Cup and an increase of the global influence as the Arabian, African and Asian tour events get better and better fields.

I can't wait for 2011 either - if anyone is planning to pop down to Kent to watch The Open let me know. I'll be there - just as a spectator ofc, fairs fair after all.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
It'd be great to get GMac out here to Australia for an event. I've always thought of him as a class act. He's now proving it.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
I'd have to say I agree with that... it's well deserved on both their parts!

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
[video=youtube;TA2hUK7DCas]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA2hUK7DCas&feature=player_embedded[/video]

OP
ManchesterGolfer

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
LOL love it!!!

BTW, I've heard rumor's that Gmac is moving to Cleveland/Srixon next season? I think it would be a silly thing for him to do after the season he's just had..... It's not the Arrow it's the Indian I know, but straight arrows with good flights that suit you sure help!!! If I was his manager I'd be working on an improved contract at Callaway not moving away.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
LOL love it!!!

BTW, I've heard rumor's that Gmac is moving to Cleveland/Srixon next season? I think it would be a silly thing for him to do after the season he's just had..... It's not the Arrow it's the Indian I know, but straight arrows with good flights that suit you sure help!!! If I was his manager I'd be working on an improved contract at Callaway not moving away.

I'm on the fence about switching companies. We all know players switch for big money and end up losing their game, I would say take the Paddy Harrington route and stick with Cally. Of course, Lefty switched from Titty to Cally and I think he's been better than ever since. Who knows, it's the indian yes, but as long as the indian is straight in the head I don't think it matters all that much what arrows he's packing!

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I'm on the fence about switching companies. We all know players switch for big money and end up losing their game,....

Precisely. If I was GMac, I'd be doing everything to be staying with Callaway. He's had a tremendous year & he doesn't need to be trialling new equipment that he may be uncomfortable with. You'd think that Callaway would match whatever Srixon was offering to keep him.

Stuart Appleby switched from his 'old faithful' Bridgestone to Callaway a couple of years ago & it's taken all of that time for him to start winning again.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Precisely. If I was GMac, I'd be doing everything to be staying with Callaway. He's had a tremendous year & he doesn't need to be trialling new equipment that he may be uncomfortable with. You'd think that Callaway would match whatever Srixon was offering to keep him.

Stuart Appleby switched from his 'old faithful' Bridgestone to Callaway a couple of years ago & it's taken all of that time for him to start winning again.

Years ago Payne Stewart switched to Top Flite from, I forget who. He basically went from playing forged irons and balata balls to cast irons and 2 piece distance balls. Completely lost his game for awhile, eventually as we all know he did come back but it did take time.

Conversely Paddy didn't switch and kinda went into hiding, I think that had more to do with injuies though.

Of course, it's hard to fault a guy for signing a gazillion dollar contract that will make him, his kids, his grandkids, great grandkids etc wealthy...

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.