• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Goals for 2009

niblick

Jun 13, 2007
With most of forced indoors with lousy weather and 2008 rapidly drawing to a close, seems like a good time to look ahead to the next season and talk about where we want to go with our games.

I accomplished (barely) my goal of getting to a 15 hcp this year. Along the way I carded an 82, my lowest score ever.

So my goals for '09 are simple. Get to 12, break 80.

I've begun some lifestyle changes that will help, I think. I'm going to lose a few pounds this winter and swing a weighted club daily to keep the golf muscles limber and strong. I'm also going to get a set of irons more appropriate to my skill level. I love my Pi5s but I know I'd benefit from something more forgiving. The new Adams Tech a4 irons look nice. :ho:

>>>>

What are your goals for 2009?

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Same goals as last year. I feel like my bag is pretty much set (still looking for the 'magic' gap wedge,) and the lessons I've taken are starting to produce some real-world results. I need to focus on better iron accuracy and short game skills, then I feel confident I can reach a new plateau and start scoring in the low 80's fairly consistently.

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
My goals for 2009 are really simple: play as much as possible (more than 2008).

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Replace two Nickent hybrids with Cobra Bafflers with 950 Nippon shafts like my irons.

New (Ping G10?) 3-wood

SC putter?

New push cart.

Work on better weight transfer at end of swing.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
My goals for 2009 are really simple: play as much as possible (more than 2008).

+1. I want my scores to improve, but I'm more concerned with playing more often than anything else.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Pretty much the same same as Niblicks. Now that I've broken the seemingly insurmountable barrier of 84 I'd like to dip below 80.

Learn to either hit my driver with more consistency or learn to leave the damn thing in the bag.

Learn how to better read greens and hopefully eliminate the 3 putts.

Play more rated courses and get my handicap to reflect my actual ability.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
So I made 2008 goal of breaking 80 but I missed my goal of getting to a single digit cap (albiet just barely, finishing at ~11.5). My goal for the 2009 year will be to shave that last stroke and a half off of the cap.

As for how I'm going to get there, I simply need to play more. I practice often and I feel that I work on the right things (I spend at least 2/3 of my time on short game) but I'm only playing about once a month on average.

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
Want to get down to an 8. Work on better weight transfer and keep up my lifestyle change and lose that last 25 pounds. Oh and break 80... that was my goal for 2008... but it's not lookin so good :(

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I just want to continue with the addiction to, enjoyment of, and respect for this great game of golf. Will have a cart shed available first of the year. So, major purchase will be an electric cart w/winter cover, windshield, etc. There ends the walking, but at this age....

Hopefully, I can find some consistency... nine to nine. Carded quite a few nines, this year, in the mid to upper 30's. Probably just as many on the front, at our course, as on the back. Yet, seemed like I'd match a 38 with a 48 and the result for 18 was not indicative of the better nine. Last Friday, shot a 41/41. To me, that is much better than a 37/45, even if the end score is identical.

I'm mindful that I'm 62 years old... too old... to fat... bad knees... bad back... old clubs... nagging wife (Woops! Not my sweetie!!!). The ability to score well at this game will be diminishing as the years take their toll. Yet, to be blessed with the opportunity to continue to enjoy playing the game of golf should be an adequate goal for 2009.

Now... if I could only get the driver I ended up with last night to work then I could make some changes in the fairways or look at some different irons or think about wedges that would spin the ball more or maybe even change shafts in..................

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I'd just like to get more comfortable with my swing, play just as much as this year and have fun every round. I've come to realize that expectations are what tends to spoil my fun. If it's 72 or 92, the only thing that matters is that I enjoy it, it's not my job to play golf, it's just a recreational activity.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Just to get out an play. I dont plan on spending a minute hitting balls at the range or working on anything. I am going to just go out and play the game, have fun, and most likely play better as a result.

David Hillman

Apr 15, 2008
The last nine holes of '08 were the best I played all year ( +1 ), so my goal is to string two of those nines together and shoot a low-seventies round.

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
My main goal will be the same as it has been for the past several years. At some point during the calendar year, I want my handicap to be the lowest it's ever been. Made it all the way down to 4.7 at one point this year. Currently 5.1

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
First I want to watch my 9 year old son grow and improve as a player.

Second I want to get my handicap down to 5 or below and to perform to my full capabilities under pressure and when there is money on the line.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.