• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Going For More, The Chance At Turning Pro

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Since there had been some discussion of it in a few other threads, I'm just curious what everyone's stance is on this.

Personally, I'm 20, and shooting par to under par dependent on the course. My problem is that I've only been playing since 14, so golf is definately not my life. However, I've had lessons and worked with people to where they said I could try and walk on for my college's team, and ultimately, try for pro. However, I'm in Pre-Law right now and engaged. I guess it's hard, because I love golf so much, but I also have other things.

So I guess this thread is two parts, what's your stance on going pro, and any helpful insight for me?

Rosmo

All around nice guy
Apr 22, 2005
My only advice would be that if you do go pro and end up rich and famous, don't forget about us hackers here at Shottalk.:)

Dorkman53

May 17, 2005
I'd love to see the look on your fiance's parents' faces if you tell them you are giving up law to try to become a professional golfer.

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
I once worked with a lad who was in the same predicament. He was daft enough to ask my thoughts and I said that if he didn't at least give it a go he would probably regret it the rest of his life. He eventually gave it a shot and lost all his savings travelling to competitions, also he had no qualifications to fall back on after the two years he spent golfing so he ended up working in a factory lifting crap from one pile to another. He just didn't enjoy the stress of the game once his living depended on it and therefore couldn't play at a high enough standard.

BTW he was VERY highly rated by regional pro's before he embarked on his golfing foray.

charnockpro

Aug 25, 2005
Adding to that

If you are serious about turning pro then the best way to back it up is to enroll with the PGA of america and have the teaching/repairs/dorector of golf option in your back pocket if the playing side doesnt work out

DouginGA

dont tread on me
Dec 8, 2005
Few of us rise in life as far as we had hoped, at least IMHO. But if you aim low and fall short that is even worse, right? (myself- I never aimed at all, just wandered about lol).

Even here at shottalk there a several members who have asked the same question you are asking. So how good are you?? Have you won your state's amatuer championship? I assume you are going to be in your second year at college this fall? Then try out for the team.
But I think your question is really about time and energy management. Only you know how much effort you have total to expend. And you can bet that the pros on tour spend an incredible amount of time on their game. Pro takes a real effort (I can only assume) and to a large degree the more effort the better the result. So look at the college team - everyone on the team is also going to school and playing golf. So see if you have the drive to both go to school and play competitive golf. try it for a year and I think you will have better idea of where you want to go. The more you try, the more you will accomplish.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
JEFF4i said:
However, I'm in Pre-Law right now and engaged.
Just based on my life experience, I can't help but think these two things may make it a difficult choice. Not that it can't be done, because my wife and I would not have done nearly as well without taking certain risks at an earlier age when we didn't have a lot to lose. We too got married while still in college.

Personally I would finish the education, keep up with the game, then see where it leads after you have the degree in hand. You would always have the education to fall back on. Again though, this is a life choice that will affect both you and your future wife. Again, speaking from experience. The education side is hard to go back to, but if you start with the golf via college it will give you at least a couple more years to make the decision with the help of your future wife. To me it would just seem difficult enough to juggle Law School with marriage, throwing the hours on end of golf practice would yet present another big challenge.

You are obviously a pretty smart guy, so I will simply say good luck making the choice that works for both of you.

Hangfire

Jan 6, 2006
I say always give your dreams a shot IF they are realistic. Don't have any regrets, life is too short...:usflag:

(Get the degree;-)

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Lose the future wife, buy a driving range, and putt your way round the US Open with a 7-iron. Wait - that was a movie.

Do what you feel you would be happiest doing for the rest of your life.

Forget about what material things you may or may not be able to afford.

Make sure the woman you are marrying is as supportive of your dreams as you are of hers.

If you love the law, then strive to become a lawyer.

If you love golf (and I mean can't imagine yourself earning a living any other way love) then strive to become a pro.

If you are a scratch golfer at 20, you have the natural skill to be a pro. Do you have the dedication? Can you suffer for it? Can your wife?

Life is short, and you only live once. If you have the talent to be what you want to be, then it would be a waste not to pursue that dream.

I know from experience. In high school, there was nothing I loved more than acting. And I was really good at it. I was a natural. Even in college, I paid more attention and worked harder in drama class than in any other. But I didn't follow that path. I followed the path that other people told me I should follow. I was pre-med, and I definitely could have made it, had I loved medicine, or even cared about it at all. But I didn't work hard enough to get into med school.

I've done all right for myself since then, through hard work and some fortunate chances. But I'm neither a doctor, nor an actor. And if you don't love the law, then chances are you won't be a lawyer either. You probably won't end up working in a factory for the rest of your life. I had to for a while, but worked my way out. Intelligent people generally find a way to make life at least not suck.

Am I doing what I want in life. Not really. Why not? Because I didn't, in the words of Joseph Campbell "follow my bliss".

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Cash is king, you can't eat dreams and they won't pay the rent either

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
I would have to agree with the stay in college and try out for the college golf team advice. That should give you a good idea if your going to be able to compete at a higher level while still earning a degree to fall back on. Luke Donald went to Northwestern and even Tiger went to school for a few years at Stanford before turning pro. If your tearing up the college ranks, you can always enter the US Am or Public Links to see where you stand during the summer months or even try to qualify for the US Open as an amateur before taking the full plunge into pro golf. Worst case scenario golf wise, you spend a few years in school and bolt to the pro ranks after a few years. Life wise, if the golf does not work out, you still have an education to fall back on.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
VtDivot said:
Cash is king, you can't eat dreams and they won't pay the rent either

I would much rather look forward to going to work each day at a low-paying job that I love, rather than a high-paying job that I hate. Too many people on this planet end their lives as bitter old shells of what they could have been, all in the pursuit of money for money's sake. They fool themselves into thinking that they are happy because they drive a better car, own a bigger house, etc. But all of that is just empty window dressing. And most of the people who truly follow their dreams end up bigger successes than those who settle for lives they did not choose. Pursuing your dreams may be a tougher road, and may not be as financially rewarding, but money is just a thing - nothing more. And things do not bring happiness. Gaining wealth doing what you love is a great thing. But the pursuit of wealth at the expense of personal satisfaction is a path to true failure.

Highdraw34

Mar 27, 2006
Examine your game closely. How well do you play in tournaments? I would say go out and test your game under pressure. For instance I can shoot in the mid 70's on occasion and I usually play around 80. I've never faired well in tournaments however. I haven't honed my skills under pressure. It is virtually impossible to simulate professional pressure but start by playing in the US Amature, anybody can play in it if your handicap is low enough. Spend a year playing serious tournaments and if it goes well go for it. If not the chances are that there a lot of people out there that are better than you and Law is a good field to fall back on.

token_hottie

token_mommy... oops!
Jan 12, 2006
I am 24 and I got married 3 years ago to a good man who I am very happy with and love very much. BUT looking back I would have done a couple of things very differently:

1. I wouldn't move in with him before we got married.

2. I would have waited until I was established professionally before considering marriage. Everything changes after you graduate and you are able to make your dreams a reality. It would have been much easier to make good career decisions if all I had to think about was what was best for me instead of what was best for us.

If I had done those 2 things I would be living it up right now and making a lot more $$$ and would have a job I liked better.

To each his own, just my 2 cents.

BentGrass

In the Lumbar Yard
Jul 3, 2005
To me, it's a no-brainer. Play college golf. You are still honing your game and you are getting an education.

I don't know you or your game, but being a money making touring pro is more then just being able to shoot par at your local course. These guys have special and rare skills. Maybe you have that - but if it were me, I'd being finding that out while getting an education.

Good luck, and keep us up to date as you progress.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.