• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Going For More, The Chance At Turning Pro

cypressperch

Jun 24, 2006
Toledo Bend Lake, Louisiana
Country
United States United States
It is extremely difficult to be a professioal golfer.

I have been playing golf close to fifty years. Thirty of those years, I was a golf coach. Back in the 1960's a guy a few years ahead of me was the best college golfer in the state. He got some backers and played in seven amateur events and won six of them. In one, he lost to Homero Blancas who was on an incredible Univ. of Houston team. This golfer went out on the tour and made some cuts, was on TV on Sunday a time or two, but never quite made it work.

I had a few really talented golfers on the golf teams I coached. Some did very well in college. One of my female golfers made it to the women's PGA, but seems to have decided to set aside the golf for a while to raise a family. Her husband does quite well on the PGA tour. One of the male golfers I had on the team placed second behind David Toms at the state high school tournament. These people had college coaches coming to them to play on their teams. Yet, as good as they were, they really fell short of the big time.

I lived in Lafayette, Louisiana for quite a while. Great food, great people, great golfers. While it is true that Jay and Lionel Hebert came out of Lafayette, the real legends were guys like Shirley Picard, Dalton Boutin, Al Domond, and others. Oh, Buddy Short goes in there. These people played golf as well as it can be played, but they did not go pro. Won all kinds of amateur championships, but did not go pro. Shirley could have, but when he was in his prime, pro golf did not pay that much.

I like the sound of going for your dreams, but the folks who are going to make it professionally are usually creating excitement about their potential around the age of twelve. Seriously, it is that young. There have been exceptions like Larry Nelson, but they are rare in today's golf world.

I would have a better chance going to New York and trying to get on Who Wants to be a Millionaire than to make it through tour school and get a card. Golf has become so much more popular today that it has become very, very competitive. Parents with enough money provide their kids with the very best instruction, equipment, summers on junior tours, etc, etc, etc. Every one of the hundreds of courses across this land has its own legendary players, and many of these legends simply cannot make it.

I wish you the very best with your future plans. Sincerely, Cypressperch

OP
JEFF4i

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I actually went out on a limb today and spoke to one of the people who works with my school's team and I'm going to start taking lessons from him and see where it goes from there. But I am definately going to try for my school's team, and see where it goes from there.

Scotty01292

Mmmmmmmm..... Cake.......
Oct 16, 2005
If you study law at college, while playing in the team, you get your qualifications, so you're qualified if it doesn't work out as a golfer. I'm seriously working at the moment, to get a good start for when I try for a college scholarship in America when I'm old enough. I've recently decided that's what I want to do, so i'm going to college to study while playing golf. Something to fall back on if your golf don't work out.

BentGrass

In the Lumbar Yard
Jul 3, 2005
JEFF4i said:
I actually went out on a limb today and spoke to one of the people who works with my school's team and I'm going to start taking lessons from him and see where it goes from there. But I am definately going to try for my school's team, and see where it goes from there.

Sounds like a solid plan.

Rosmo

All around nice guy
Apr 22, 2005
So is this school you attend a big time Division 1 school where you will be playing against the best??

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
i would try out for your college team and if you make that stay on it and get your degree.then if you have success at the college level give yourself a yr or 2 to make it to the pros.then fall back on your law degree if it doesnt work out.

Hangfire

Jan 6, 2006
Sounds like some pretty solid advice from this forum, least you could do is buy us all a round of adult beverages;-)

:D

OP
JEFF4i

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Rosmo said:
So is this school you attend a big time Division 1 school where you will be playing against the best??

Essentially.

cabinessence

Never Say Die
Jul 28, 2005
You need to start playing in tournaments PRONTO. Get on your college team and start playing the amateur circuit. You are at a huge disadvantage not having played competitive junior golf but who knows. lee Trevino said that until you can consistently shoot 67 at your home course don't even bother with playing professionally and I believe it -- a kid at my club shot under par every time on a 75 rating course, +4 handicap, and didn't even make the traveling team at Vandy.

OP
JEFF4i

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I actually played 3 years of competitive junior golf, my first 3 years of golf. I did well, posted some 70s but mostly 80s.

As far as playing tournaments recently I've played in two so far this year. One was the state's Men's Championship in which I was going into Sunday tied for the lead, but ended up in third with a couple bad breaks(hit a sprinkler head which put me into a tree, etc.), and played a single day tournament recently that I had the lowest score with my 64.

So for the mental part and understanding of tournament play I am quite well versed, actually. One thing that I've really drilled into myself with the help of my dad is one shot at a time.

**EDIT** Also I can average par at my home course, a 75.4 rated course from the golds. But what really makes me think I have a shot is that I've had a total of 3 lessons, all of which in my first year.

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
Scotty01292 said:
If you study law at college, while playing in the team, you get your qualifications, so you're qualified if it doesn't work out as a golfer. I'm seriously working at the moment, to get a good start for when I try for a college scholarship in America when I'm old enough. I've recently decided that's what I want to do, so i'm going to college to study while playing golf. Something to fall back on if your golf don't work out.
You stole my plan + we really need to play sometime so I can see how good you are.

Scotty01292

Mmmmmmmm..... Cake.......
Oct 16, 2005
Adam... I've just been cut to 18. I've played in 3 Junior Open's this season. One N/R, one 3rd place and one 2nd place. The 2nd place was a 2 round competition. I was in 19th after the 1st round (level par), but came back with a nett 10 under par in the second round. Just got back from Cally Palace... The course was amazing. Don't think you'll have played it, because it's for hotel guests only, but the 13th is amazing. Long par 5 over a lake and water hazard. Almost aced the 2nd as well, with a crap tee shot. I'm nowhere near as good as you (from what i've heard), but i'm improving. Got my handicap down by 7 this year! If you're ever up in the Prestwick area, I can get you out on my course (Prestwick St Nicholas) for 4 quid! I'm probably not going to be down your neck of the woods for ages, unfortunately.

wirehair

Life's too short to drink cheap wine.
Apr 29, 2005
Hmmm...Lawyer & Golfer. There was this guy from Georgia a few years back that was a pretty good amatuer. He won a couple of tournaments, but never turned pro. He chose to practice law instead. He did help build a pretty nice course in Augusta & organized a tournament that seems to be popular these days. You might have heard of him. :)

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
wirehair said:
Hmmm...Lawyer & Golfer. There was this guy from Georgia a few years back that was a pretty good amatuer. He won a couple of tournaments, but never turned pro. He chose to practice law instead. He did help build a pretty nice course in Augusta & organized a tournament that seems to be popular these days. You might have heard of him. :)

Cliffy Roberts? :D

🔥 Latest posts