• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Going graphite

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
As of a few week's time, everything in my bag, bar my putter, will be graphite shafted. I'm trying a spread of weights of the new Rapid Taper shafts from Xcaliber in the irons as follows:
4-6 - 75g
7-8 - 85g
9-PW 95g

This increasing of weight has been tried and tested and seems to make sense. I've tried both the 75g and 95g shaft in some demo clubs and they feel great. The shafts are quite stout, so I'm moving from Stiff to Regular. And I'm going to throw in some Spin wedge shafts as follows:

GW 85g
SW and LW 100g

We are in full lockdown here for the next 4 weeks, so it will give me something to do and hopefully look forward to. Reports to follow for sure.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
As of a few week's time, everything in my bag, bar my putter, will be graphite shafted. I'm trying a spread of weights of the new Rapid Taper shafts from Xcaliber in the irons as follows:
4-6 - 75g
7-8 - 85g
9-PW 95g

This increasing of weight has been tried and tested and seems to make sense. I've tried both the 75g and 95g shaft in some demo clubs and they feel great. The shafts are quite stout, so I'm moving from Stiff to Regular. And I'm going to throw in some Spin wedge shafts as follows:

GW 85g
SW and LW 100g

We are in full lockdown here for the next 4 weeks, so it will give me something to do and hopefully look forward to. Reports to follow for sure.

Keep us informed on how those shafts work. I just got done changing all my grips. Using air took me about 15 minutes top. Taking the old off was easy as they were blown on.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Yep! I'm hoping to find a decent set of graphite shafted irons this winter. I've been getting along fine with the steel, but 75 year old joints are beginning to talk back.

ejdahl21

Never Lay Up
Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2007
Limp
Here is your new Graphite shaft, guaranteed to shave strokes.

pencil.jpg

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
Yep! I'm hoping to find a decent set of graphite shafted irons this winter. I've been getting along fine with the steel, but 75 year old joints are beginning to talk back.
I'm thinking the same thing. I'm 71 and while I love steel in my irons, graphite would probably be better on my joints too.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
When making the shift to graphite, finding the right weight is the trick. If you have access to a fitter, it's helpful. I've done the ho-ing/experimental method and 55g is about right for me, with 65g as acceptable. Graphite really helps with the pain mgmnt when you play 3 to 5 times a week.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
When making the shift to graphite, finding the right weight is the trick. If you have access to a fitter, it's helpful. I've done the ho-ing/experimental method and 55g is about right for me, with 65g as acceptable. Graphite really helps with the pain mgmnt when you play 3 to 5 times a week.
What do you recommend for we who play MORE than 5 times/week???? :>)

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
So an update. I’ve cut all the shafts to size, just waiting for the new grips to arrive. I had to butt and tip cut and I’m a little unsure, the fitter instructions have them longer than my current steel shafts by 1-2” per club. I have a feeling this is to compensate for swing weight? Anyway I’m planning to glue and grip up my 6 iron and start from there. No rush, looks like there will be no goof until early March. I’m getting a hitting net this weekend, that will have to do in the meantime.

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
I found a set on a pre-owned site and pulled the trigger. I'd been playing Mizuno JPX 850 forged with steel shafts. I just bought a set of JPX 900s with graphite. I've only played four rounds with them and the weather hasn't been very good, but I've noticed a difference in my level of pain after the round. I haven't noticed much of a difference in my ball striking, but hopefully that will come with time.

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Finished! I'm now sporting (almost) a full bag of Xcaliber shafts. The only gaps are the hybrid and putter and I have plans to get shafts for them as well. So far I have only hit them into a net, but they feel lovely. I need to see the flight and trajectory before being convinced so the jury is still out. They don't feel light, which was my primary concern at going to graphite. The shafts come in three weights, 75g, 85g and 95g and I have progressed them through the set, starting with lighter shafts in the 4 and 5 irons. I got a deal on corded grips, hence the rainbow color changes, but they are strategically grouped. I actually think they look cool. The wedges look amazing and according to the blurb, I can expect 1500-2500 rpm additional spin.

The shafts have a standard butt but below the grip they curve in. The concept is akin to a bullwhip and it is supposed to give an additional clubhead speed of 3-5 mph, (up to 15 yards additional length). I don't really need added length but I am looking to hit my longer irons a bit higher. I'll report back on this when lockdown finishes and I get out to hit them on the links.

I'm happy with the overall results and have learned a lot in club-building skills over the past few months. I still have a lot to learn but I'm well up the curve and confident to go further.

Attachments

• Pics 3.jpg
    Pics 3.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 145
  • Pics 2.jpg
    Pics 2.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 144
  • Pics 1.jpg
    Pics 1.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 142

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
Finished! I'm now sporting (almost) a full bag of Xcaliber shafts. The only gaps are the hybrid and putter and I have plans to get shafts for them as well. So far I have only hit them into a net, but they feel lovely. I need to see the flight and trajectory before being convinced so the jury is still out. They don't feel light, which was my primary concern at going to graphite. The shafts come in three weights, 75g, 85g and 95g and I have progressed them through the set, starting with lighter shafts in the 4 and 5 irons. I got a deal on corded grips, hence the rainbow color changes, but they are strategically grouped. I actually think they look cool. The wedges look amazing and according to the blurb, I can expect 1500-2500 rpm additional spin.

The shafts have a standard butt but below the grip they curve in. The concept is akin to a bullwhip and it is supposed to give an additional clubhead speed of 3-5 mph, (up to 15 yards additional length). I don't really need added length but I am looking to hit my longer irons a bit higher. I'll report back on this when lockdown finishes and I get out to hit them on the links.

I'm happy with the overall results and have learned a lot in club-building skills over the past few months. I still have a lot to learn but I'm well up the curve and confident to go further.

Those look fantastic!! Can’t wait to hear the results [emoji106]

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I was at my brother's house last night. He just got himself a nice new Skytrak simulator system. So I spend a bit of time hitting balls into a net with the new iron set-up. Shots felt very solid, but I was hitting a lot of hooks, pull hooks. There is that much rust in my swing these days I'm not going to be too hard on myself. I was hitting my 6 iron about 165 with about 10 yards run out, which at this time of the year is good. The wedges felt awesome. My GW was about 110yards with 9,500rpm, which I will take. So far the new shafts feel like a success, but I won't fully decide until I have a few more games under my belt.

Hoganman1

Feb 10, 2018
Charlotte, NC
Country
Well my graphite experiment failed. I got a set with the wrong shafts. The online description said "regular". The shafts have an "R", but they are 4.5 which I've learned are senior flex. Anyway, the plan now is to do a fitting with my pro. That's probably what I should have done in the first place. I was trying to save a few bucks by buying preowned.
Hopefully I can sell the set I bought since I'm past the thirty day return date. Thank goodness I kept my JPX 850s with steel shafts.

🔥 Latest posts