• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Going to Hawaii, Three Questions.

Sean

Worm Burner
Aug 24, 2006
1: I've never travelled with my clubs, should I invest in a hard plastic case? Soft, padded case? Other, better options?

Seems like a hard case is a no-brainer but I'm open to listening if that's not the case.

2: Check 'em on the plane? I've had a few people recommend shipping them to meet me in Hawaii but I;m not so sure I wanna do that.

3: Best way to go about booking tee times? How far in advance? On-line booking flawless or better calling around? Wait till I;m on the island?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,

Sean

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Dont go with a soft case, i have a hard bottom, but the top 3/4 is soft padded, ive had the stand on my bag bent and ultimately broken, and ive had a 3w broken.

If your planning on travelling fairly often, invest in a travel case (as i did as i go back and forth from college 2-5times a year, and always take my clubs). If this is a rare thing, go with the luggage fwding that Sling suggested, itll save ya money in the long run (i think?).

fyi, i have a bagboy bag that costed me 180$, it can basically take all my golf stuff (shoes, bag/clubs, balls etc, i can pack a good amount of extra stuff in with the clubs).

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Here's the highlights and lowlights of travelling with your sticks.

Most airlines don't replace broken clubs that dont have a hard case - period. Some guys don't care and take their chances. Your choice.

Hard cases are extremely effective, but a pain in the ass. They're huge and cumbersome. If you're taking a cab or a shuttle from the airport, you have to request a van or large SUV. It'll fit in a car, but your wife won't. :laugh:

If you want the best of both worlds, try this:

Club Glove Stiff Arm Travel Protection

It fits in your golf bag and prevents breakage for the most part. Then you just need to buy a soft sided protection case, which are cheap.

Have fun. I had a buddy that just got back from Hawaii and said the courses are in great shape.

R35

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I used a tee booking service to book my tee time. It was a rip-off. I would just call when you get there as long as you're not trying to play Kapalua or anything. I had no problems taking my clubs on the plane, but they ended up missing the connection and taking an extra day to get there. If you are going just to play, I would Fed-Ex them to the place you are staying. Have fun, you lucky bastage!

OP
S

Sean

Worm Burner
Aug 24, 2006
I used a tee booking service to book my tee time. It was a rip-off. I would just call when you get there as long as you're not trying to play Kapalua or anything. I had no problems taking my clubs on the plane, but they ended up missing the connection and taking an extra day to get there. If you are going just to play, I would Fed-Ex them to the place you are staying. Have fun, you lucky bastage!

I'm not sure where, frankly I'll probably be avoiding the amazing courses because greens fees ARE an issue to some extent. Not going until September, two weeks for honeymoon. Hoping to get a couple rounds in somewhere. Frankly, I;d be happy with anything well groomed, from a small muni to a wonderful seaside course. Hoping to find a happy medium somewhere :)

You think I'm safe with only a weeks notice or so for tee times out there? I have this notion that it'll be next to impossible to book soemthing that close but no proof of it...

Thanks for the input from everyone!

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Yea, unfortunately with a carry bag, the stiff arm doesnt help the stands at all.

Anyone know of a way to protect the stands in a travel case? Obv the pros dont have that concern:p. (sry for the thread jack ?).

And the thing about a travel bag, is that they are extremely cumbersome. I had to put my clubs in my coach's backseat when I got here, and luckily my mom has a van back home when they pick me up from the airport. If my coach had brought anyone at all to the airport we'd have been screwed:p.

Goodluck with your choice!

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Yea, unfortunately with a carry bag, the stiff arm doesnt help the stands at all.

Anyone know of a way to protect the stands in a travel case? Obv the pros dont have that concern:p. (sry for the thread jack ?).

And the thing about a travel bag, is that they are extremely cumbersome. I had to put my clubs in my coach's backseat when I got here, and luckily my mom has a van back home when they pick me up from the airport. If my coach had brought anyone at all to the airport we'd have been screwed:p.

Goodluck with your choice!

That's why I mentioned the cover.

Like this: Golfsmith.com: Izzo Sentry Two-Wheel Travel Cover - Izzo

Throw a stiff arm into that and you're golden. Well, better off, anyways.

I have something similar to this, and it sucks donkey balls in terms of size and awkwardness: Golfsmith.com: Dennco Hummer Hardsided Travel - Dennco

R35

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
I travel a lot and use the Club Glove bags with the Stiff Arm that was already mentioned. When I am going on flights that involve changing planes I will take the staff bag in the Club Glove Last Bag, it is the best that I have used, expensive though. For shorter flights or no change overs I use the Burst Proof with wheels and take the stand bag. The plastic piece that goes up the back of the bag will cover most of the legs so I have never had a leg bent. I will put the rain hood on the bag, put the stiff arm in and pack the hood with towels, making sure to wrap the club heads individually.

As far as making tee times, most places will not accept them more than 30 days prior to the date of play. I would recommend calling so you are sure that you have been entered into the system at the course. If you are staying at a hotel that has a course, you may be able to make tee times when you make your hotel reservations. I am going to Kauai in August and my room rate includes unlimited golf for two on the hotel course, a Nicklaus design that has 27 holes.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
The GC had a show about Golf Hawaii just this afternoon. There was a muni they were talking about that was rediculously cheap. I can't for the life of me remember the name now, but it is the GC we're talking about, they will show the same show another 75 times at least this coming week so you might want to check the listings. And if you decide to play a major course, they all rent top of the line clubs if you didn't want to take a chance? Just a thought.

Oh yeah, I hate you too. :laugh:

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
You are playing golf on your honeymoon??

I hope your fiancee plays golf also.

Daddo

Feb 22, 2006
I don't have much credibility due to post count, but here is my opinion. I just got back from Ka'anapali and played the Kai, Royal, and the Plantation course in Kapalua. Spend the money for Kapalua. It's worth every penny.

1. Hard case
2. Check your clubs in. I've heard the horror stories, but playing with rentals just doesn't work for me.
3. Have someone from the hotel call for you. We stayed at the Westin and a very nice lady called and was able to get a tee time for me at Kapalua. Once again, If you can swing it, Play Kapalua. You won't be disappointed.

brillo

Leftswing
Dec 7, 2007
I went to Hawaii a few years ago for my honeymoon. We went to Maui. While we were setting up some excursions, I asked the guy where was good to play and how much. He could've gotten me on at Wailea Blue or Gold for about $50. It normally cost a little over $100. He said that he calls that morning and they're not normally fully booked so they would take $50 and pair me up with someone rather than not having a full 4some. If you are wanting to go to a very well known course, then I'd recommend booking ahead of time, but if you just want to play golf anywhere then I'd recommend getting with one of the guys in the excursion bookings. We drove all over Maui and all the courses we rode by looked awesome, so it wouldn't really matter which one you play. If you are going to Maui, then let me know and I'll give you the guy's name and phone number that I talked to there and he can hook you up.

🔥 Latest posts