• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golf and me

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Train = The Game of golf
VW Golf under train = my game
bad631.jpg

Matthew_22

Mar 31, 2006
Ha, that was a weird analogy, but I still think I get it.

So what is the problem exactly, or are you going through one of those phases where everything is the problem?

OP
Eracer

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I feel like I am striking the ball better than ever. I feel like I should be breaking 90 every time. Then I have a few blowup holes with penalties, bad course management (allowing my emotions to override my good sense), poor chipping, and 8 putts above my average. And I'm not even breaking 100.

I was a 15 handicap last year.

I practice chipping and putting much more than the full swing. I'm very good during practice. I try to "practice like I play and play like I practice".

I'm reading Hogan's book.

I'm reading Rotella.

I'm trying to be patient, but right now my game feels like...

A TRAIN WRECK!

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Stick with Hogan's book. If you were a 15 last year without it, you should be a 10 or better with it in no time.

Re-read the pages on the grip.

I started going through the book for my 4th time last night. THIS TIME I'm going through it with a highlighter so I don't need to read absolutely everything NEXT TIME. I'll just read what I've highlighted. HWW and Hogan do a good job of writing in all CAPS in most places of instruction.

But I do find a few nuggets, essentials, that aren't in caps, so I'm highlighting to make it easier to breeze through.

Hell, I was even screwing up the waggle. :)

It'll come. Most likely sooner than later.

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
Stop reading Rotella (for God's sake)
Stop reading Hogan
Stop thinking too much.
Drink more beer
relax.

In my opinion, overthinking is the worst thing for your game. There are so many variables how can you think of them all and not screw up at least a dozen of them?

Relax, go to the range and just hit the ball.....that's all, just hit it.

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast

Deep in thought
Sep 6, 2005
Slingblade61 said:
Stop reading Rotella (for God's sake)
Stop reading Hogan
Stop thinking too much.
Drink more beer
relax.

In my opinion, overthinking is the worst thing for your game. There are so many variables how can you think of them all and not screw up at least a dozen of them?

Relax, go to the range and just hit the ball.....that's all, just hit it.

No no no no! You've got to think more about it. You've got to devote your brain to solving the problems of the swing, of the course, of the meteorlogical considerations, of the agronomical conditions, you've got to understand it.

You've got to think about it so much that every detail around you can be related to golf. It's not carpet, it's something that resembles, you think by observing the cut of fabric, would likely resemble the greens you often play in speed. It's not a window you look out, it's an aperture that resembles the focus you want to start having at targets to aim for. You should wonder where you'd put a short shaft and handle on the steering wheel of your car so you might take practice swings when turning right, if you're a righty, or turning left, if you're a lefty.

You should be able to be blindfolded, have someone hand you one of your clubs from your bag, hold it, and be able to say which club it is just by feel.

🔥 Latest posts