• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Golf Bag Overhaul...

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
Have been contemplating this change for a bit now. And having spent some time with my launch monitor has all but confirmed, something needs to be done. At least I think so...

Learning that I hit my 2i “5w” and 4h within a yard or two of one another. 215-220. In my head, I should be hitting a 5w a little further. Or maybe my 4h a little less?!?!?! Either way, it’s got me searching for an answer!

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
My problem lately is I "can't hit" my 3-wood or 3 hybrid.
On a bit of a whim, kind of an experiment, I’ve put my 3w in timeout for a little while. Sorta the same reasons, just can’t hit it! To be honest, not missing it, but I’ve now opened this can of worms...

This game is a head scratcher at times!

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Have been contemplating this change for a bit now. And having spent some time with my launch monitor has all but confirmed, something needs to be done. At least I think so...

Learning that I hit my 2i “5w” and 4h within a yard or two of one another. 215-220. In my head, I should be hitting a 5w a little further. Or maybe my 4h a little less?!?!?! Either way, it’s got me searching for an answer!
I tend to ignore #'s on clubs anymore, because the lofts, shaft length, and other stuff varies so much from Make and Model.

Although to your question for ideas. I bought fairway woods with adjustable loft and lies (Titleist 917F) for this reason. I carry a 4w that is adjusted to midway between their 4w and 5w. If I ever upgrade my hybrids I will buy adjustable as well.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Yep! Don't carry an actual 3 wood. Only fairway wood is a 5 wood, with the loft turned stronger to a 4 wood. Seems to work. As good as I've been hitting the TE driver, about to leave the Mini 1.5 at home. But, don't seem to have any unnecessary gaps.

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
I tend to ignore #'s on clubs anymore, because the lofts, shaft length, and other stuff varies so much from Make and Model.
I love this approach as well. In the last year and a half or little more. I’ve had a bit of an awakening with my golf game and life.

In terms of my game, the only numbers I concern myself with are lofts on the clubs and the yardages on the PRGR screen. Results are what matter. Current setup is a 915H set at 18* I call it my 5w, the 4h is an Adams idea 21*... I can get more than 220 outta the 915, but obviously accuracy suffers. The max for the Adams is 220, but i’m surprised by it’s accuracy!!

I’d like to find something at 16* and see where it goes, my other issue is being a leftie. Proving harder to find than I thought!

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
As I sit, sipping coffee and looking at more used clubs online... I realize the big 4-0 is creeping closer into the foreground of my future. Now I'm really starting to lean towards getting myself fit for clubs, like properly!

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
November will see me hit 76. 5th year on the Board of Directors at the club. One more year and I'm done. Was talking to someone the other day and figured I will be 78 when I leave the Board. That sounds REALLY old!!!

Looking for candidates to run for the Board in November this year. Will have 4 open spots. Need some young blood. Good mix right now. But, three of the four leaving are in their 40's. Hope we can see some in that age range... or younger get elected. Also losing one of our lady board members. She's been awesome. Only serving one 3-year term. Not running for reelection due to family issues. Need another lady.
One of the problems is you pretty well commit to at least 24 meetings during the year... 2 per month. With young families, this can become a burden for younger folk. Us old coots have lots of time to attend meetings, but we ain't gonna be around long term. Need that younger blood to keep their generation interested and active.

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
The big 4-0? Try the big 7-5. You're just a kid.
Still hard to believe I’m about to reach four decades of existence... 7.5 decades tho, far more impressive. The stuff you’ve seen in your life trumps mine hands down!!

I’ve still had fun! 😁

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Still hard to believe I’m about to reach four decades of existence... 7.5 decades tho, far more impressive. The stuff you’ve seen in your life trumps mine hands down!!

I’ve still had fun! 😁
We had a country "party line" phone. Couldn't make a call past 10 p.m. because the "Central" office in town was closed. My Mother was "Central" for a while. Knew everything that went on at school before I got home. Folks would ring her, "Esther, don't ring me for a while 'cause I'm gonna be in the bathtub."

First three years of school was at a "country" school. Third grade, there were three of us in the entire school. Two girls in the 2nd grade and I was in the 3rd. Closed the school and sent us to town the next year.

Stood in line in 4th grade to get the polio vaccine.

Won a medal in high school in typing class. Could type over 60 words/minute. Have maintained the ability to type, even though haven't seen a typewriter in many years.

First home with running water in 1951. Up until then, had an outdoor toilet. Used a "thunder bucket" if it was storming or at night when too dark to find the outhouse. Outhouses at the country school. The girls was close to the school. Boys was clear down at the end of the schoolyard. The girls got real toilet paper. Us boys had old catalogs, magazines, and newspapers in ours. A water bucket in the coat room at school. Dipper hanging on the wall. Everyone drank from the same bucket and used the same dipper.

Grew up driving manual transmission vehicles. We have a couple "Gators" at the golf course with manual transmissions. Fun to watch today's young workers try to operate a manual tranny.

Korean War. Had an uncle killed over there. Vietnam. People we knew had sons not come back. Anti-war demonstrations in the 60's. Burning draft cards. Burning bras. LSD. The advent of acid rock music.

Dragstrips close to most of the small towns. Quarter mile marked off and we'd see who had the hottest cars. Never any violence. Just all out fun.

"Tandy" computer from Radio Shack for the kids to use. 5 1/4" floppy discs. Both daughters had lots of fun on it.

September 17, 1966 married the love of my life. She had just turned 19 in August. I was 19 and wouldn't turn 20 until November. Then, girls were "of age" at 18, but boys not until 21. Couldn't get a marriage certificate without my parent's signing. Our official marriage certificate from the State has my Mother's signature on it.

"Bag phone" was our first car phone/portable phone. Huge case that set on the floor and plugged into the lighter socket. (How many cars today have cigarette lighters???) No range at all.

Fall of the USSR. Tearing down the Berlin Wall. Alaska and Hawaii becoming States. JFK assassination. Nixon scandal. Color television. 4-track tapes. 8-track tapes. CD's. VCR. Central air conditioning. Dependable electric lights and heat.
Been a good ride!! Still more to come... we hope. Our purpose in this life should be to leave Earth and society better than we found it. My generation has failed you "youngsters"!!! We've left you a mess. You will have your hands full cleaning up after us, let alone seeing the technological and medical advances we have. Good luck!!!!

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
We had a country "party line" phone. Couldn't make a call past 10 p.m. because the "Central" office in town was closed. My Mother was "Central" for a while. Knew everything that went on at school before I got home. Folks would ring her, "Esther, don't ring me for a while 'cause I'm gonna be in the bathtub."

First three years of school was at a "country" school. Third grade, there were three of us in the entire school. Two girls in the 2nd grade and I was in the 3rd. Closed the school and sent us to town the next year.

Stood in line in 4th grade to get the polio vaccine.

Won a medal in high school in typing class. Could type over 60 words/minute. Have maintained the ability to type, even though haven't seen a typewriter in many years.

First home with running water in 1951. Up until then, had an outdoor toilet. Used a "thunder bucket" if it was storming or at night when too dark to find the outhouse. Outhouses at the country school. The girls was close to the school. Boys was clear down at the end of the schoolyard. The girls got real toilet paper. Us boys had old catalogs, magazines, and newspapers in ours. A water bucket in the coat room at school. Dipper hanging on the wall. Everyone drank from the same bucket and used the same dipper.

Grew up driving manual transmission vehicles. We have a couple "Gators" at the golf course with manual transmissions. Fun to watch today's young workers try to operate a manual tranny.

Korean War. Had an uncle killed over there. Vietnam. People we knew had sons not come back. Anti-war demonstrations in the 60's. Burning draft cards. Burning bras. LSD. The advent of acid rock music.

Dragstrips close to most of the small towns. Quarter mile marked off and we'd see who had the hottest cars. Never any violence. Just all out fun.

"Tandy" computer from Radio Shack for the kids to use. 5 1/4" floppy discs. Both daughters had lots of fun on it.

September 17, 1966 married the love of my life. She had just turned 19 in August. I was 19 and wouldn't turn 20 until November. Then, girls were "of age" at 18, but boys not until 21. Couldn't get a marriage certificate without my parent's signing. Our official marriage certificate from the State has my Mother's signature on it.

"Bag phone" was our first car phone/portable phone. Huge case that set on the floor and plugged into the lighter socket. (How many cars today have cigarette lighters???) No range at all.

Fall of the USSR. Tearing down the Berlin Wall. Alaska and Hawaii becoming States. JFK assassination. Nixon scandal. Color television. 4-track tapes. 8-track tapes. CD's. VCR. Central air conditioning. Dependable electric lights and heat.
Been a good ride!! Still more to come... we hope. Our purpose in this life should be to leave Earth and society better than we found it. My generation has failed you "youngsters"!!! We've left you a mess. You will have your hands full cleaning up after us, let alone seeing the technological and medical advances we have. Good luck!!!!
I honestly don’t know what of this is true and what you’re fibbing Limp. But I don’t doubt most of your stories, they sound very much like some of my dad’s to be honest.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I honestly don’t know what of this is true and what you’re fibbing Limp. But I don’t doubt most of your stories, they sound very much like some of my dad’s to be honest.
Each generation sees changes... sometimes advances... in what makes up their daily lives. My grandparents saw the advent of electricity in their home, travel going from horse to automobile, from farming with a team of horses to use of mechanized equipment. No television. Few even had access to radio. No wonder they had so many kids!!!

My own parents high school graduates go right into teaching at country schools. They lived through WWII. My dad was drafted and spent much of the war in Austria. My wife lost an uncle in WWII. His plane went down just a few days before the Germans surrendered. Her uncles... his brothers... said the rest of their lives they could never get the sound of their Mother's screams out of their heads when she read the telegram. They went from cooking on wood stoves to cooking with propane. They saw homes begin to have indoor plumbing. Homes began to be heated with something other than wood. College began to become accessible and affordable. They saw so many changes.

Your generation has already seen changes in technology. Just think of the changes your children will see!!! Your generation has benefitted from so many miracles of modern medical technology! People are living longer... meaning you will have more of us old folks to support than there is money and professional staff to do.

The world we live in has so much good. The good does not make the news headlines like the bad. We don't hear of the medical research, scientific discoveries, animal species brought back from near extinction, kindness of strangers, etc., etc. Instead, we are inundated with the bad... the evil... the corruption. Enjoy each day for it is a gift. Enjoy those kids and your family. That, too, is such a gift. Smile often. Teach your children respect. Instill in them the importance of work ethic and they will go far in their careers. In another 20 years, when I am still posting on ShotTalk from the nursing home, let me know all the changes you have seen in your adult life!!!!

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I'm limp's age. It's all true as my early life was close to his. One he missed is early TV's with tiny black and white screens. When Roswell happened and before the government covered it all up they showed on of the person's living room with all these UFO parts in it. Aluminum foil type stuff that they squashed all together and it would pop back to the sheet it started as (we can make it now). Old design jet fighters flying over and breaking the sound barrier (and windows) every day. My dad fought in the army in the Pacific. My FIL flew P-38's in the Pacific in WWII.

OP
Louie_T07

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
Each generation sees changes... sometimes advances... in what makes up their daily lives. My grandparents saw the advent of electricity in their home, travel going from horse to automobile, from farming with a team of horses to use of mechanized equipment. No television. Few even had access to radio. No wonder they had so many kids!!!

My own parents high school graduates go right into teaching at country schools. They lived through WWII. My dad was drafted and spent much of the war in Austria. My wife lost an uncle in WWII. His plane went down just a few days before the Germans surrendered. Her uncles... his brothers... said the rest of their lives they could never get the sound of their Mother's screams out of their heads when she read the telegram. They went from cooking on wood stoves to cooking with propane. They saw homes begin to have indoor plumbing. Homes began to be heated with something other than wood. College began to become accessible and affordable. They saw so many changes.

Your generation has already seen changes in technology. Just think of the changes your children will see!!! Your generation has benefitted from so many miracles of modern medical technology! People are living longer... meaning you will have more of us old folks to support than there is money and professional staff to do.

The world we live in has so much good. The good does not make the news headlines like the bad. We don't hear of the medical research, scientific discoveries, animal species brought back from near extinction, kindness of strangers, etc., etc. Instead, we are inundated with the bad... the evil... the corruption. Enjoy each day for it is a gift. Enjoy those kids and your family. That, too, is such a gift. Smile often. Teach your children respect. Instill in them the importance of work ethic and they will go far in their careers. In another 20 years, when I am still posting on ShotTalk from the nursing home, let me know all the changes you have seen in your adult life!!!!
I don’t know how, and I don’t know when, but before you are in that home Limp. I’m finding my way down to you for a round or a few of golf. I don’t know how the matches will go, I'm likely going to get whipped. But I can guarantee you we are going to have a good time! Could listen to your stories all day!!

🔥 Latest posts